Starclassic or Neusonic?

I love the sound of the Neusonics, but wish the hardware was better and the finishes were a little more exciting. They are the definition of plain.

I'd totally get the Starclassic W/B. Even though they cost more, you're getting much more for your money.

@Fritz Frigursson, as for American made drums, I wish I could say they are better than other countries, I really do. But if I'm being honest, that's just not the case anymore. Sure there are exceptions, but overall I'd say that Japan and Taiwan are better at QC and selling the best drums for the money.

It's not because Americans aren't capable of producing better products...it's because the price of doing business in America is so much higher than China or Taiwan. Everything costs more here, the drum parts, the labor, the unions, the HR departments, the rent, the utilities, the mountain of regulations and government taxes...it's insane. Not to mention the exchange rates.

If you gave both the USA and Taiwan a goal of making a $1000 drum kit, Taiwan could do it for hundreds less using identical materials. That's essentially why USA-made drums cost more, although I wish it wasn't so.

Spot on. Agreed. I also have a DW Design, made in Taiwan, and the QC was flawless.

So I’m just keeping my DW as my beater and Renown as my show off. The SC will wait until I’m certain. Neusonics? They wouldn’t offer me anything different tonally than my Design. I know there’s a lot of DW haters, but gents, they know how to make drums (Eric Moore gigs with the Design).

StarNeuClassisonics. Get yours today!

Not at all, but I’ve decided upon the Starclassic. It was an apples/oranges comparison anyway.

(The Design has thick NAM shells and it works for me.)

For $1,600 you can get a high level DW Performance kit (made in USA) or Canopus made in Japan Yaiba kit. And if you call the retailers directly you can often negotiate even better prices. It's a buyers market. Those are much better options and better drums.

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. I’ve already purchased the Starclassic and I’m just waiting on delivery. I’m a latent Tama fanboy, but I’m always open to suggestions and different brands.

no matter who the manufacturer was I was ALWAYS attracted to almost budget kits. I had a long conversation with Gene Okamoto from Pearl on this and he said that I was not alone on this. He too appreciated how full less expensive kits sounded warmer and fuller due to a softer wood in construction.
True in my experience, as well. I just love the sound of my ridiculously low-end Sonor poplar kit.

keeping my DW as my beater and Renown as my show off.
IMHO the Renown RN2's hit way above their weight (their price, I mean) in sound, build-quality and looks.

To my mind the lines between, "budget" "mid-range" and "high end" are blurring more and more each year as design elements and construction techniques change. If Chinese manufacturers ever stop putting cheap Chinese heads on new kits, the whole concept of a budget kit may disappear altogether.

In any event, you'll love your new Starclassic, OP. Hope you post some pictures once it is set up!

Back