Sonor swinger - worth a punt?

KenDoken

A Sonor Swinger 22,13,16 has come up for sale.

Does anyone have experience with these kits?
Do they have plastic lugs? If so, are the lugs readily replacable with metal lugs?
Do they weigh a ton?

Yes

Do they have plastic lugs?

Yes

If so, are the lugs readily replacable with metal lugs?

Yes, but Teardrop lugs may not be cheap.

Do they weigh a ton?

No

Imho the plastic lug was ahead of its time. The materials used were not robust. It would be interesting to see what tough polymer they could 3D print today along the lines of low mass light weight lugs

the Swingers were low budget drums made from 6plies or less of beech and that they had plastic lugs. The lug design was a flattering copy of the Ludwig Large Classic style. Sold mostly in the EU

Catalog links

Yes

Do they have plastic lugs?

Yes

If so, are the lugs readily replacable with metal lugs?

Yes, but Teardrop lugs may not be cheap.

Do they weigh a ton?

No

Imho the plastic lug was ahead of its time. The materials used were not robust. It would be interesting to see what tough polymer they could 3D print today along the lines of low mass light weight lugs

the Swingers were low budget drums made from 6plies or less of beech and that they had plastic lugs. The lug design was a flattering copy of the Ludwig Large Classic style. Sold mostly in the EU

Catalog links

Thanks Frank

I have heard ot said the shells are the same as the phonics. Is this the case or are they thinner?

I guess im trying to get the phonic sound and a nice looking kit on the cheap. The plastic lug thing may be a deal breaker, they are 48mm (1⅞) hole spacing i think

Thanks Frank

I have heard ot said the shells are the same as the phonics. Is this the case or are they thinner?

I guess im trying to get the phonic sound and a nice looking kit on the cheap. The plastic lug thing may be a deal breaker, they are 48mm (1⅞) hole spacing i think

Not many folks even in the EU do many Swinger restorations. A Teardrop or Champion 6ply (not Super Champs which are 9 ply just like Phonics) will give you the same sound with more robust metal fittings

Phonics are 9 ply beech at 9mm and with a layer of veneer or 2 you can add to those numbers

Swinger is 6 ply 6mm or less.

Swingers are indeed thinner then Phonics

Looks like a Phonic to me, I've got one with a black wrap. Great 18" drum.
I never knew Performer series existed.

Back