Snare Demo Videos: What's Good, What's Bad

BrokenStick

I am sure most of us have checked out some (perhaps many) of the snare drum demo videos on social media. Whether from manufacturers, vendors or individuals' demos/reviews. I am curious if you find them helpful and informative or more on the frustrating, vexing and wanting side of the ledger.

I usually have to watch at least three different demos before I start to believe I have a real idea how the drum sounds. So many factors in the video-making process affect the sound—tuning, miking, damping gels, the room, external processing, etc.

I watched one the other day where the demo guy was raving about how amazing the drum sounded right out of the box, without even tuning it; oh but he put a snare weight on it, and added some eq and reverb… no big deal… right? Ugh I wanted to slap him.

On the flip side there are some bigger shops who do three different tunings, with and without damping, and three different mic setups: up close, overhead, and whole kit. Those shops are freakin heroes and I truly hope they get a good return on their efforts.

I also have a particular axe to grind with demo guys who just recite the most basic and incurious specs and marketing lines as though that was helpful or insightful in any way. Some of these dudes have zero idea how anything works, so they say the most embarrassingly ignorant stuff, with a big smile like they are Presenter of the Year, when clearly they are just on the clock “making content” for their store’s channel.

I usually have to watch at least three different demos before I start to believe I have a real idea how the drum sounds. So many factors in the video-making process affect the sound—tuning, miking, damping gels, the room, external processing, etc.

I watched one the other day where the demo guy was raving about how amazing the drum sounded right out of the box, without even tuning it; oh but he put a snare weight on it, and added some eq and reverb… no big deal… right? Ugh I wanted to slap him.

On the flip side there are some bigger shops who do three different tunings, with and without damping, and three different mic setups: up close, overhead, and whole kit. Those shops are freakin heroes and I truly hope they get a good return on their efforts.

I also have a particular axe to grind with demo guys who just recite the most basic and incurious specs and marketing lines as though that was helpful or insightful in any way. Some of these dudes have zero idea how anything works, so they say the most embarrassingly ignorant stuff, with a big smile like they are Presenter of the Year, when clearly they are just on the clock “making content” for their store’s channel.

Haha, three. No, as many as I can find. And even then I am usually left frustrated and vexed. I watched one the other day on a Mapex Black Panther. Thought it sounded really good. Well, it did. And then he took the O ring off. Of course, I had no idea it was there to begin with. And then he revealed he had a reverse dot on the batter side. That wasn't the stock head for that drum.

I appreciate the shops who do multiple tunings. I wish they spent more time with solo snare time moving from sparse to more dense playing. I wish they all did buzz rolls. I wish they all played from center back to edge. I also wish they didn't all managed to mask or remove the snare buzz when demoing with the kit. I wish they all (at least when demoing a whole line of snares) used the tags on YouTube in the time stamp to ID the drum, so I can actually know what drum is up. Otherwise, got to mark time, go look at the description box, memorize a time and then go hunt for the right spot. Every company touts how versatile their snare drums are, and yet the only demos you are likely to find are entirely in a rock context, big low tuned kicks and toms and lots of heavy fills.

I am betting we've watched some of the same videos. I agree that DCP has an edge with the way they demo with multiple mic setups. I like the room portion best. Snares out of box finger tight that just sound great. Hmm. I saw one of them a few days back. Another with added reverb, and still another (actually multiple demos and reviews) that recited the florid marketing verb right off the cards attached to the drum.

I'd always like to know what heads it ships with, what heads are being demoed. And always give a low, medium and high tuning. Keep the kit demo snare-centric. And please give us some dynamics especially with the kit. Oh, and I want to here every kind of rim shot under the sun not just the cross stick and backbeat rim shots. Give me the Philly Joe bop be-bop stick on stick and those ringing ones out close to the edge too.

Last edited:
I've made a few videos of my snare drums and think the versions I made that compares two drums in the same video, using the same mics, is the most helpful. It's much easier to hear the difference. The videos I've made showing only one drum don't carry as much credence IMO.

I've given up on you tube demos for any usable sound information. There's only one way to know what a drum really sounds like. Play it yourself.
I concur with this^. Every drum I get will be of a certain level of quality where I’m certain I’m gonna tweak it to my way of playing so I’d just buy it and see if I can make it do what I need it to do. If not, then I return it. I figure every snare drum has to be at least like a Supraphonic for ease of use - everything else is icing on the cake.

I've given up on you tube demos for any usable sound information. There's only one way to know what a drum really sounds like. Play it yourself.
Agreed. "Sounds Like a Drum" asked a question in a recent video about why so many drummers need confirmation on whether their snare sounds good or not. Leads me to wonder just how many snare drums in the wild we are really seeing these days and especially with the demise of Mom and Pop local shops and the nascent scourge. Even if we aren't really shopping for something, I am betting most of us get more looks and time spent at videos--productive or not--than we do actually listening to REAL snare drums in the wild. It used to be you shopped catalogs, and I am not sure the modern YouTube videos are any more informative. You'd hit your local music store or drum shop and play the drums in the flesh.

You'd hear drums on records and know that that sound is probably unattainable. Trouble is neither are most of the sounds you hear in most videos. Wonder what percentage of viewers look at it like that. Many of these are really studio productions. The rest are poor quality but somehow and strangely more honest. I don't think I have ever heard any of them say or specify in the notes what sticks were used in any video.

Some Youtube channels (like DCP) do make interesting videos with different tunings and different mic setups.
Like posted above, it still is hard to tell how a drum will sound to you until you actually play it yourself.
You also don't know if and how much processing (EQ, compression, etc) has been done to the audio.

What I don't get is when someone makes a snare demo video and starts playing 2 minutes of 200 BPM 16th note rolls, apparently mainly to show of his/her chops. Or when they muffle it up with moon gels or whatever.
Let the damn snare breath and ring so you can hear the sustain!

To cut to the chase, buy a snare with a proven track record - Ludwig Supraphonic, Acrolite, Jazz Festival etc, etc...
I have always found it hard to audition anything in a drum store anyway. Stores often sound bad acoustically and I can't judge something unless I hear it context (with music).
I find videos interesting. If I'm going to buy something I haven't auditioned, I am reared to take a hit on it, or (shock of shocks) I will buy something I know several top players have been happy to use and endorse.
I'm in the process of buying an Ebenor snare drum I've never seen or heard, other than Youtube videos and player recommendations.

Here's the thing folks, no retailer is gonna call a piece of crap, a piece of crap. They're businesses and they want your money. With youtube gear product demos it turns out you can polish a turd.

Glad I'm from the old school like a few replies here. My first pro level snare is my trusty 402 which I've had over 20 years now and that's my reference point to the sound I want in my head. Obviously construction material is going to give you subtle nuances and different strengths in certain tunings/situations but that's why you add different snares to your arsenal.

If I'm buying a snare it's serious homework time and I've asked here a lot if there's something I'm unsure of or I can't try myself. Only snare I've taken a gamble on was the snare in me profile pic which is a Mapex Dark Forest Walnut but it was a £180 gamble, not like a £2500 A&F hipster topknot snare lol. Thankfully it's a nice thin shelled snare that has darkness in the tone that none of my other snares do.

Some Youtube channels (like DCP) do make interesting videos with different tunings and different mic setups.
Like posted above, it still is hard to tell how a drum will sound to you until you actually play it yourself.
You also don't know if and how much processing (EQ, compression, etc) has been done to the audio.

What I don't get is when someone makes a snare demo video and starts playing 2 minutes of 200 BPM 16th note rolls, apparently mainly to show of his/her chops. Or when they muffle it up with moon gels or whatever.
Let the damn snare breath and ring so you can hear the sustain!
Interesting, informative and entertaining, those videos all can be all of the above and still not all that useful in making a decision. I am not sure you really come away in most cases with any more than you would get reading a catalog and their florid descriptions.

I suspect there are loads of guys here with lots of studio experience. Perhaps they can mentally filter out and unpack from these videos and at least get in the ballpark of what that drum sounds like in the flesh without all the studio makeover getting in the way. We aren't really listening to drums. It's more a Hollywood production than real acoustic drums. An old Wendy's commercial used to ask "where's the beef?" I want to know "where's the buzz?" "Where's the ring?"

To cut to the chase, buy a snare with a proven track record - Ludwig Supraphonic, Acrolite, Jazz Festival etc, etc...
I have always found it hard to audition anything in a drum store anyway. Stores often sound bad acoustically and I can't judge something unless I hear it context (with music).
I find videos interesting. If I'm going to buy something I haven't auditioned, I am reared to take a hit on it, or (shock of shocks) I will buy something I know several top players have been happy to use and endorse.
I'm in the process of buying an Ebenor snare drum I've never seen or heard, other than Youtube videos and player recommendations.
Preachin to the choir there. Drum shops are awful for auditions unless you can sequester yourself in a quiet room or space. I've bought cymbals online by sound files only, but that was where there was minimal processing, after sampling hundreds of models, exchanging scores of E-mails with the dealer and asking countless questions on an old forum that is no longer extant. I was nervous, but ended up one hundred percent satisfied. Snare drums are an entirely different beast.

Here's the thing folks, no retailer is gonna call a piece of crap, a piece of crap. They're businesses and they want your money. With youtube gear product demos it turns out you can polish a turd.

Glad I'm from the old school like a few replies here. My first pro level snare is my trusty 402 which I've had over 20 years now and that's my reference point to the sound I want in my head. Obviously construction material is going to give you subtle nuances and different strengths in certain tunings/situations but that's why you add different snares to your arsenal.

If I'm buying a snare it's serious homework time and I've asked here a lot if there's something I'm unsure of or I can't try myself. Only snare I've taken a gamble on was the snare in me profile pic which is a Mapex Dark Forest Walnut but it was a £180 gamble, not like a £2500 A&F hipster topknot snare lol. Thankfully it's a nice thin shelled snare that has darkness in the tone that none of my other snares do.
REFERENCE sound ... that's it exactly. NONE, and I mean absolutely none, of these videos are giving you a REFERENCE sound. Some shops (DCP comes to mind) will point out build issues and sacrifices to cut costs: cheap heads, changes to lugs, throws and hoops. DCP videos are usually informative and entertaining and even useful in making choices by specifications and quality control factors. And I enjoy the room mic portions of their demos. They are too short and almost entirely a groove or fill.

So many drummers chase after snare drums in that way that weekend golfers are always looking for the next great putter or driver. There are several iconic snare drums (Supraphonic, Acrolite, Sensitone, N&C maple) that IMO can do it all, given the right heads and tuning/muffling. I would stick with one of these rather than relying on YouTube demo of the next best up-and-coming snare.

I find videos like DCP's stuff somewhat valuable with drums played as a comparison to each other. Their relative sound differences in that particular format is interesting. Specifically things like "that one has a heck of a lot more natural ring to it than the other one".

Assuming the same heads and relative tunings. But the way I hit a snare or tom is most likely different than how a demo video hits so as everyone said, vids may help you narrow a selection down to a few to physically demo yourself.

So many drummers chase after snare drums in that way that weekend golfers are always looking for the next great putter or driver. There are several iconic snare drums (Supraphonic, Acrolite, Sensitone, N&C maple) that IMO can do it all, given the right heads and tuning/muffling. I would stick with one of these rather than relying on YouTube demo of the next best up-and-coming snare.
I believe Ringo did almost all the Beatles stuff on a Jazz Fest. There is about every kind of snare sound I could want in those recordings, and maybe a few I really don't want at all. To be sure, some studio trickery is involved.

I find videos like DCP's stuff somewhat valuable with drums played as a comparison to each other. Their relative sound differences in that particular format is interesting. Specifically things like "that one has a heck of a lot more natural ring to it than the other one".

Assuming the same heads and relative tunings. But the way I hit a snare or tom is most likely different than how a demo video hits so as everyone said, vids may help you narrow a selection down to a few to physically demo yourself.

I really appreciate the low-medium-high demo videos a lot, especially the ones that have more than one micing set up, but the A-B-C comparisons are also really helpful, because they allow you to not only hear what a drum can do on its own, but how it might differ from some other drum.

I get that any drum is going to have a different sound once we tune it ourself, put own own preferred heads on it, and most importantly, play it ourselves. But it is nice to hear at least a baseline demo to know what a drum is capable of.

Under close mics, those differences are sometimes pretty apparent. Sometimes not so easy when snare A is at 3:00 mark and the other snare you are looking at is at 15:00 mark. And I still think we are dealing here with an audio equivalent of an airbrushed centerfold. And then there is the player's touch, choice of sticks etc, and you almost never see them using anything other than a stick. I mean that more as an observation than I do a criticism. I am sure a ton of time and effort already goes into the productions.

I really appreciate the low-medium-high demo videos a lot, especially the ones that have more than one micing set up, but the A-B-C comparisons are also really helpful, because they allow you to not only hear what a drum can do on its own, but how it might differ from some other drum.

I get that any drum is going to have a different sound once we tune it ourself, put own own preferred heads on it, and most importantly, play it ourselves. But it is nice to hear at least a baseline demo to know what a drum is capable of.
See, that's just it. I don't think there is any baseline here; there is nothing that can be used as a REFERENCE sound. I'd hope that every snare drum ever made could sing happily at various tunings--okay any well-made intact drum that is. What we are getting here isn't the sound of a drum's construction and craftsmanship; we are getting an audio composition: from the room, sound treatments, the performer, to mics, cables and whatever other editing and processing it goes through. That's a lot of audio voodoo and pixy dust.

I see a lot of low, medium, high tensions, which is great, But I often wonder what the bottom head tension is - that would be good to know.

Also, a benchmark would be helpful to have in the same room next to the demo drum. For example, going back and forth between a 5x14 Supra and the drum that they're selling, would be helpful to me.

Now that I think about it - that would probably hurt a lot of potential sales... But I would enjoy it.

Back