Snare Demo Videos: What's Good, What's Bad

Well said.
I'm here because I value the experience of those who've been playing A LOT longer than I've probably been alive (I'm 53) and it's invaluable.

That goes for gear, playing advise and just the overall drumming experience. Something I don't take for granted.
Ever.
❤️
thanks.

I do get the hots for gear from gear videos. As for actual purchases, they don't often put GAS in the tank. In that sense, they are quite effective. I just learned from DCP that I need an 8" x 14" snare. Three days ago, a 3.5" steel piccolo blew me away. I thought that drum had to be much deeper. I had no clue piccolos could sound that good that low.

I just learned from DCP that I need an 8" x 14" snare. Three days ago, a 3.5" steel piccolo blew me away. I thought that drum had to be much deeper. I had no clue piccolos could sound that good that low.
They can & if you find one that's got the sound you want, beat it like it owes you money!

I have an 14x8 maple/walnut snare & it's my go-to for pretty much everything. Definitely good to have in your arsenal if you can swing it.

They can & if you find one that's got the sound you want, beat it like it owes you money!

I have an 14x8 maple/walnut snare & it's my go-to for pretty much everything. Definitely good to have in your arsenal if you can swing it.
Somewhat tongue in cheek. If I were a working pro, I might have a reason for a piccolo. These were the latest Mapex MPX line. They didn't ID the drum before playing. The closeup mics didn't get my attention; it was when they switched to room. I stopped what I was doing to check the player and see what drum it was. I could not believe that tuned that low.

As for the 8" depths. Woe. Those all sounded great--well almost all of them. Probably, most are out of my budget.

Back