Should drummers in covers bands use electronic kits?

I bet the audience still don't care.
I have worked with guitarists using fancy virtual guitar rigs, where the guitar sounds change within the song, let alone every song. No one in the audience ever notices.
Yeah, fair point. I think the biggest difference where they might, slightly, notice is when we do the Depeche Mode style numbers. But I might be imagining that!

A PA moves the air in a different way to traditional guitar amps or an acoustic drum kit. In larger venues where the PA is the primary source of sound, it probably doesn't affect too much. So an electronic drum kit and digital modellers are going to be fine. But there is something magical about the energy, dynamics and feeling that can be achieved in a smaller venue with traditional instruments, if done right (and that's a difficult balance of equipment, players and sound man).
One of my favourite gigs I've watched was in a mid-sized pub, where the organ playing through a Leslie speaker filled the room with a physical sensation that just can't be replicated through a PA. I've also been to gigs where the drummer was just playing too loud for the space and seemingly unable to adjust. Or where guitarists turned their amps up to 11 and the experience was ruined by my teeth rattling...
The overall sound should always be the band's main focus and I don't see an electronic kit being a barrier to that. Though for a good drummer, an acoustic kit isn't going to be a barrier either - and they do look better... ;)
I'm not fussed about bands keeping the original feel of a song - just put on a good show. One of the best covers I've ever heard was a guy on an accordion, and girl with a cello singing "Running Up That Hill".

I would not use an E-kit for gigs. I tried it a couple times and found the same issues that have already been reported here in this thread .
I would consider using a Roland TM-6 Pro and triggers with an acoustic kit . That would be ideal if you want to use some unique sounds layered with your acoustic sound . Best of both worlds as far as I am concerned .

My answer is a hard "no". I have used e-kits on gigs and think they are dreadful. They're also dependant on the PA system which can be a challenge in its own right. Generally, cymbals sound and feel lousy on e-kits, hi-hats being the worst.

I get why people use them but they're not for me. I have been burned by e-kits enough times to know better.

Last edited:
I would not use an E-kit for gigs. I tried it a couple times and found the same issues that have already been reported here in this thread .
I would consider using a Roland TM-6 Pro and triggers with an acoustic kit . That would be ideal if you want to use some unique sounds layered with your acoustic sound . Best of both worlds as far as I am concerned .
Well, I have to say it has taken some time to adjust my technique to the E kit (im about 12 months in and I would say I'm just getting to the point where I'm comfortable in a gig with it). Especially the hihat, which has taken a lot of getting used to. But there are up sides and the samples on the DTX6 are fantastic.

Well, I have to say it has taken some time to adjust my technique to the E kit (im about 12 months in and I would say I'm just getting to the point where I'm comfortable in a gig with it). Especially the hihat, which has taken a lot of getting used to. But there are up sides and the samples on the DTX6 are fantastic.
Plus no nuance or subtlety from an eKit that you have from an acoustic kit . You don’t have the same dynamic control either . There is no concussion that can be felt by your bandmates .

My answer is a hard "no". I have used e-kits on gigs and think they are dreadful. They're also dependant on the PA system which can be a challenge in its own right. Generally, cymbals sound and feel lousy on e-kits, hi-hats being the worst.

I get why people use them but I avoid those situations. I have been burned by e-kits enough times to know better.
I have to say I'm impressed with the sound of the cymbals on the DTX6 pro module.... but definitely not the feel! The silicone pads feel good but I wish they'd come up with something more realistic on the cymbal front.

I would be afraid of an electronic breakdown during a gig. if the module dies, what do you do, they dont become acoustic drums. if you break a head live, there are aalways ways around continiuing the gig.

that being said, i would love to have one and looked for a while at purchasing an e-kit.

I would only gig with an electronic kit if I could afford spares - at least one spare for pad, cymbal, BD, HH pedal, and module.
It would pretty much have to be one rack but essentially two kits. Otherwise I'd be too paranoid.

Plus no nuance or subtlety from an eKit that you have from an acoustic kit .
I wouldn't agree for most of an eKit. These days, the pads track really well, and lots of dynamics are possible.
I Would agree, though, for most e Hi Hats. I have learned the hard way recently that they are still pretty bad.

Ya whatever works, no "shoulds". But nobody in an audeince will say they played Depeche Mode and the drums sounded just like it.

I personally prefer covers and a cover band where the music sounds different than the recording.
I play e-drums in our band's practice space (the guitarists kit). But I do it begrudgingly and don't care for e-drums at all. I find it hard to do any dynamics with them during a song. I can make an argument one can play a-drums quietly.

Playing out, without a doubt, e-drums just do not look cool to me. I'd feel that as the drummer playing them.

To my ear, e-drums give the band a slightly canned sound. I much prefer the live feel that acoustic drums provide.

Bottom line though, whatever works for you.

One bit of fun I am having with the E kit though; the covers band added a couple of numbers which really require double kick pedals. I'm really not a double pedal player, definitely not my thing. So instead I've programmed a floor tom as a kick drum. A couple of people have come up after gigs and asked how I get the speed from a single pedal, and I just say it's obviously just sheer talent!

They're becoming a tool that you need to have as much as I hate to admit it. It's a real catch 22 situation.

On the wedding/corporate scene there's way too many venues that shouldn't book bands but do and have noise limiters that are in some cases not much louder than background music. The annoying bit is it's the band that take the flack for it.

There are also these new silent venues that have started when you can only hear the band on the dance floor (don't ask me how they do it!). Even on stage the only noise you hear is the singers voice, strings and drum pads. Everything is through in ears. A mate of mine played one and he said never again!

My main gripe is that to get a decent e-kit costs a lot of money for something that doesn't behave anything like a drum kit.

I can only play my E kit at home so I'm very used to it - the top E-kits look exactly like A kits now so I'd have no issues using one all the time if that's what the gig called for.

I’ve come to use my e-kit for concerts in small venues, restaurants,,,
And god knows I was reluctant. But as simple as this, the band would never have had some gigs if I had played my acoustic. Simply just too loud and bulky. And I don’t know how to play our set list softly, it won’t be natural for me.
You’re dependent of the PA, we bring ours. So we keep control.
We’re a coverband but I don’t change my sound. I have my basic kit, that I tweak for some songs to add a cowbell, a timbale or softer bass sound.
I don’t want to change all the time and, as said, audience don’t give a damn.
Since I played this kit more often, I changed some parts, lately added a large snare pad, much much better to get rim shots / cross sticks.
So ok, nuances and velocity are jumping out of the window, but hey, we got hired, people are dancing and happy and don’t wince at the first rimshot.

Last edited:
E-kits are useful for in home practice or quick demos.. or in your case a very quiet situation where stage presence isin't required.. but even in a house party like that ... a small kit can work playing very quietly. Bigger spaces.. from bars to halls etc. require more presence. Some pitfalls to avoid:
With ekits you have to be in the audio zone of the PA.. otherwise the audience won't hear them - especially outdoors... or in some cases you hear the clacking of hitting pads at the side of the stage. You have to have a good sound engineer and setup which can take time.. nothing worse than doing a sound check that is fine.. but at game time, things change and you are now hitting lifeless tupperware pads.. and the sound tech is nowhere to be seen.. so bring your own amp - don't rely on the PA.
The good thing about ekits.. is that you can sell them!
(and buy a small acoustic kit). No bias here :)

I know that acoustic drums are always going to feel better than even the most expensive electronic set (say a new Roland with digital ride,hats and snare and acoustic sized pads), but, you still have limitations as in you have to mic (for large venues) or can't turn volume down too much (for small venues). Also you are limited to the sounds you can get out of those drums/cymbals. My experience (with the exception of cymbals) has been that once you mic an acoustic set, and compare its sound to an electronic set going through a PA, there is not going to be a huge difference in sounds. And with some higher end modules (Pearl Mimic for example) you really can blur that line even more. At this point the only difference is on how the pads look vs full size acoustic kits and the very subtle difference in feel from some mesh heads vs mylar heads, and regular cymbals vs rubber cymbals. I just don't understand how a lot of people participating in a drumming forum are so close minded about the fact that electronic drums are drums too and that more and more small venues are starting to request controlled volume and e-kits. (even though a lot of people here denied that).
it's like tube amp purists who could not tell the difference between an amp simulator and a real tube amp in a blind listening test of a recording, yet they would rather spend thousands for one amp than even try to use anything digital. I wonder if acoustic guitar players felt the same way about electric guitars as to treat them as "not real instruments"....

Yeah, I think if e-drums make the gig more fun for the drummer (or band) that's all good. If it cuts down on heavy lugging of gear, big trucks to carry large drum kits etc, that's also fine.
The crowd? They don't seem to care either way.
Not only having less (or lighter things to carry, quicker setup /vs micing an acoustic kit), I also found that dialing a good even sound between guitars/keys/vocals, and drums is achieved a lot faster with e-kits vs acoustic and mics, and having a "CD quality" gig sound always makes you inspired and you play better and the audience do notice when the band sounds great and when the sound is not that great (talking solely about sound quality not about playing ability).

Back