Shoes for drumming

Jon B

Hi all! The shoes ive drummed in for 2 years (only been drumming 3 1/2) are hanging on to life by a final thread, and i was thinking today that i would just get another pair. Well i looked online and i saw they are no longer produced, so i was wondering "oh no, what do i do!" I came across these, and wondered if they are worth trying/using
http://www.drumshoes.com/index.html
half of me says they would do their job perfectly, the other half screams marketing scam, any opinions, ect on these?

I'm sure they work. Or should I say, I'm sure they work just as well as your feet can drive them. But so does barefoot, or Chucks or Vans or Nikes or Doc Martins or leather dress shoes any other shoe within reason......save for concrete shoes and maybe flip flops. Hell, there's some excellent chick drummers who can rip it apart in high heels.

Sure, everyone has their individual preferences. And wearing what makes you comfortable is half the battle. But if you're thinking "shoes maketh the drummer" then these things are gonna sadly disappoint you. Personally I see no reason to fork out extra money for specially designed "drum shoes" when any old shoe does me just fine. When they design a shoe that can do things my foot can't, then I may be interested.

I actually use some vans to drum, they've got a hell of a lot of miles on them, plus a marching season (300+ hours) so the sole is worn thin but not too thin. Thats what's comfy for me, I mean I had to drum in boots once, but I'm looking for something to take over in the comfy zone when my shoes die. But I know the shoes don't make the drummer :)

I'm sure they work. Or should I say, I'm sure they work just as well as your feet can drive them. But so does barefoot, or Chucks or Vans or Nikes or Doc Martins or leather dress shoes any other shoe within reason......save for concrete shoes and maybe flip flops. Hell, there's some excellent chick drummers who can rip it apart in high heels.

Sure, everyone has their individual preferences. And wearing what makes you comfortable is half the battle. But if you're thinking "shoes maketh the drummer" then these things are gonna sadly disappoint you. Personally I see no reason to fork out extra money for specially designed "drum shoes" when any old shoe does me just fine. When they design a shoe that can do things my foot can't, then I may be interested.

Agree. It's more the drummer's feet than anything else. That said, I usually wear suede shoes that fit my feet exactly (my feet are size 9s XD). Sometimes sneakers, but not very often. I have played in leather dress shoes before, but they weren't really comfortable. And drumming with them a few times cracked the upper part. :(

In the Search box above, type in Shoes, and check the various threads on shoes and drumming and drumming shoes. You may find what you need there.

Here are what I wear...

Attachments

• fila-skeletoes.jpg
    fila-skeletoes.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 6,521
i usually wear adidias originals, they're very comfortable, and absorb lots of shock, and i can still feel the mechanics of the pedals. or slip-on dress shoes with a thin sole for the formal gigs for the mechanics reason, plus once u get your size and a good fit, you'll never tie them too tight (which causes poor circulation), like i do when i'm nervous...

Hi all

when i see new products like this a certain thought always comes to mind .... Buddy rich never needed these ....the other greats never needed this product , fair enough in some cases new products are great and really make playing better and more enjoyable , but where do you draw the line ..?.. whats wrong with a normal pair of shoes that feel comfortable.....just my humble opinion...hope everyones well

Nealio

just want to restate that i wasn't looking for the "miracle shoe" to give my flying feet, just suggestions. I found some kind of vans slip-ons alot like my old ones on sale so i just picked those up. They're working just great! Compared to the boots i was using they are significantly better :)!

What do you wear if the gig calls for everyone to wear a Tux? Not every gig is a jeans n t-shirt event.

I actually had to drum in at a nice dress event today! It was easy concert band stuff, so I wasn't too concerned about having to rip it up or anything. I think most event that you would have to wear nice clothing to probably wont need you to play anything that is harder than usual in dress shoes.

Back