Sam Ash is closing 18 stores: UPDATE-Now closing all stores

Sam Ash Closing 18 Stores:
guess the days of getting together with mates starting a band dreaming to be the next Hermans Hermits or Deep Purple has reached it's final mile

eh it was a good 1964-2025 run
so back to classical/ symphonic instrument needs and up towards the expansion into electronic home recording noodling

Last edited:
I probably used to see you at Ritchie's. I've shopped there for decades. It's a newish owner, and they moved to an old bank building on Main St. Rockaway. George Sigler, the drum guy, left a few years back and works selling motorcycles now. AJ runs the drum department now. Jimmy Riccio has Parkinson's and moved to North Carolina a few years ago.

Charlie Robbie died a while back, and his daughter is gradually phasing the store out, with plans to sell the property. She owns all that property on Rt. 46 that also houses Red Lobster and a Dunkin.

That new Ritchie's is not easy to get to, and George is missed a lot--I spoke to him once after he left. AJ was a natural to take it over. I still go there, but it seems like they're finding their footing.

Dan

That new Ritchie's is not easy to get to, and George is missed a lot--I spoke to him once after he left. AJ was a natural to take it over. I still go there, but it seems like they're finding their footing.

Dan
I agree. The store is coming along. He's slowly making improvements. Carlos is a nice guy, and I like Eric, the guy in the drum department. AJ is great, but he works at Ritchie's part-time, and doesn't get there until late afternoon.

And yes, that entrance can be deadly where those roads meet. I have decided to come in from RT. 46 up past the Dunkin, so I can just pull into the lot in the right lane. I've almost been slammed a couple of times coming in from Green Pond Rd.

Last edited:
I liked the old Ritchie’s location and store better than the new one. Drums seem like an afterthought in the new store.

I'm surprised my local Sam Ass store is still open. With how they hustle customers, offer pennies on the dollar for used gear & just generally don't seem to care about you, it's just a matter of time.

This is a partial list:

Huntington, NY
34th Street, NY City
Edison, NJ
Lombard, IL
Miami Lakes, FL
Clearwater, FL
City of Industry, CA
Atlanta, GA
Orlando, FL
Cincinnati, OH
New Haven, CT
Hollywood, CA
Plus 6 others (I can't get a confirmed list)

This is sad, but not at all surprising. My local Sam Ash here in Cincinnati is an absolutely gigantic store that was never more than 1/3 full of product at any point. Drum wise, they have had zero high end drums for years and over the last few years never seemed to have any new inventory at all. Every time I stopped in, I was one of maybe two or three customers total.

Right now, there are discounts ranging from 5-25% depending on the type of gear.

Instruments: 5% off (applies to new and used)
Pickups/guitar electronics: 10% off
Guitar strings: 5% off
Gig bags/cases: 20% off
Cables: 20% off
Sheet music: 20% off
Orchestral accessories and reeds: 10% off

Discounts will grow as time goes on. All sales are final (you may be able to return items at another Sam Ash store that is still in operation) and no trade ins are being taken. No new gear can be ordered from the central warehouse; you would have to order online or from another still operating location. Affected stores should be open until the end of May or so.
I’m local to cincy too. I’ll have to stop in before they shut the doors.

I used to love when it was Mars music and the back room was a dedicated drum room. Wasn’t really the Sam when they closed the back room.

That said… cincinnati is lucky to have Badges Drum Shop. Great high end gear. But sucks that we lost a competitor in the beginner space.

Looks like news just came out today (May 2) that they will be closing ALL stores, if they cannot find a buyer.

I like how this article links to another article that links to this thread that I started! Can I add "Professional Jounalism" under my skills on my resume? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I went to the store nearby, already has Store Closing and All Sales Final signs, but only 5% off big items, more discount on music sheets etc. They said they only found out 2 days ago. It's such a pity, but I'm not surprised. I found it really weird they accepted big coupon deals online on expensive stuff as if they were already trying to offload inventory.. It was also weird they had all the high-end ekits (VAD706, DWe, evenYamahas) in store while normally they only stock the cheap ones. I got a pair of Sam Ash sticks as memorabilia.

Going to go check out my local store tomorrow, although I don't expect they'll have much inside. The last time I went they didn't have much stock.

Going to go check out my local store tomorrow, although I don't expect they'll have much inside. The last time I went they didn't have much stock.

mine never had anything in it anyways....our SA had been in town for maybe 15 years, and I was in there 3 times total b/c i knew it was going to suck...and it did.

Geez, end of an era, spent plenty of time in the Paramus and NYC stores. GC plus the mom n pop places? I'm afraid, very afraid.

I try to get to physical stores when I can, but some unfortunately don't stock the latest and greatest stuff, which I want to check out.

This is not good.

Dan

Not the best time to be based in New York. Outrageous taxes, endless fees, mountains of regulations. If your business is already facing challenges, the government's boot on your neck and hands in your pocket aren't going to help.

Last edited:
Geez, end of an era, spent plenty of time in the Paramus and NYC stores. GC plus the mom n pop places? I'm afraid, very afraid.

I try to get to physical stores when I can, but some unfortunately don't stock the latest and greatest stuff, which I want to check out.

This is not good.

Dan

same...I will usually do with out if I can't get it at a shop.

luckily, i have Columbus Pro Percussion, and 2 small guitar repair shops owned by vets of the scene here in town that I get stuff from.

if i have to order online, I use Sweetwater

I’ll have to visit the Springfield, NJ store soon. I’ve bought and sold a lot of stuff over the years there. I’ll miss it. 😢

Not the best time to be based in New York. Outrageous taxes, endless fees, mountains of regulations. If your business is already facing challenges, the government's boot on your neck and hands in your pocket aren't going to help.
50 Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in New York. New York City is the top city for Fortune 500 companies, with 44 companies, second only to California, which has 53.

50 Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in New York. New York City is the top city for Fortune 500 companies, with 44 companies, second only to California, which has 53.

Companies are fleeing NY and CA like they're on fire.

Last edited:
There are certain “news” outlets and radio/video mouthpieces whose funding depends on getting people to believe things like this.

Of course lol. That must be what it is.

Last edited:
Back