RIP Gary Wright

BobC

Silver Member
It was announced today that keyboardist Gary Wright has died at age 80, of Lewy Body disease, a form of dementia, along with Parkinson's disease. He was 80.

Born not far from here in Cresskill, NJ, Gary played keys, wrote songs, and was one of the lead singers for Spooky Tooth, a band he left and rejoined multiple times over the years. He also had huge FM radio hits with "Dream Weaver" and "My Love I s Alive," and was featured heavily on recordings as a session player with his friend, George Harrison. Gary also did sessions with Harry Nilsson and many others, and scored music for films.

Spooky Two is one of the defining records of 70's rock for me. Guitarist Luther Grosvenor (aka Ariel Bender), is the only remaining member of Spooky Tooth.

Last edited:
Upon release, The Dream Weaver album was in constant rotation at my place.

Who was the drummer on that album?

A consummate musician he was, it was truly amazing to see, and hear him, with Ringo and his All Stars about a decade or so back. Quite the talent. RIP.

Found out yesterday that David Foster played keyboards on those albums before he became a (over) producer, too.

Spooky Two is in the top 10 of my all time favorite albums . British band, I assumed Wright was too . Gotta have a Yank in there to give it that special homegrown something . RIP .

If I recall correctly, there were no guitars at all on Dream Weaver and Our Love Is Alive...interesting trivia, to me.
Very sad that he has passed, we're losing so many....

If I recall correctly, there were no guitars at all on Dream Weaver and Our Love Is Alive...interesting trivia, to me.
Very sad that he has passed, we're losing so many....
Ronnie Montrose played a lead on one song but other than that, all keys and drums.

Spooky Tooth's The Mirror was one of those "Cool" LPs that my band mates and I listened to in high school. After that LP Gary would go on to his monstrous solo career and Mick Jones would go on to start some other group called Foreigner. RIP, Gary Wright. 😢

RIP. Love is Alive and Dream Weaver had such steady radio play.
I appreciate a band who let the drummer solely start the first 30 secs of a classic album.

Back