Remo Roto Toms problem!

lrod1707

Hello,
If anybody on the forum uses the 6" 8" & 10" roto toms with the Remo stand and rototrack, I'm sure you've had this problem. The issue is with the AD-10 part. (see the photos). This part sits in the middle of the stand and mounts the track to the stand. It uses a drum key type bolt that is impossible to tighten enough so the track ends up swiveling left and right. In the end you end up with the track tilting over to the right because of the weight of the 10" tom. My roto's are above my hihat so sometimes they will tilt and touch the hihat. I'm trying to find a way for it to tightly hold in place. Other drummers have suggested to use a locking nut. I don't know how I would modify that. I wrote Remo and their answer was that "movement is expected" because it's a known issue and it has never been redesigned. Apparently it's always been this way. Anyways, it has me annoyed already. If anybody has a fix please let me know. Maybe if you could post some pictures of the fix, that would be great.
Thanks,
LRod

Attachments

• 0327.JPG
    0327.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 0331.JPG
    0331.JPG
    573.6 KB · Views: 303
  • 0332.JPG
    0332.JPG
    551.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 0330.JPG
    0330.JPG
    708.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 0328.JPG
    0328.JPG
    569.8 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
I remember when I had the 6, 8, 10 set, and had this exact problem. So annoying! I got rid of them long before I solved the issue, but looking back...

Have you tried installing some kind of locking washer on the drumkey screw to keep it from backing out? They're readily available at your local hardware store. You can try the "star" (internal, or external tooth) or "split" type. They're super cheap, so you can try them all, and see which one works best.

Attachments

• lockwashers.jpg
    lockwashers.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 284
I remember when I had the 6, 8, 10 set, and had this exact problem. So annoying! I got rid of them long before I solved the issue, but looking back...

Have you tried installing some kind of locking washer on the drumkey screw to keep it from backing out? They're readily available at your local hardware store. You can try the "star" (internal, or external tooth) or "split" type. They're super cheap, so you can try them all, and see which one works best.

Good start. I will try that.
Thanks

It's true that the screw and mounting parts look way undersized !
The washer type shown above is a good idea but I would also look for another screw : the longest possible, with a split washer and a larger washer underneath.
The drum type screw looks too short and there isn't any washer, I would say it's really bad conception.

Try moving the stand upright more underneath the 10" tom - ie offset the bar.
The counterbalance effect should stop the 10 from dropping down onto your hats.

It's true that the screw and mounting parts look way undersized !
The washer type shown above is a good idea but I would also look for another screw : the longest possible, with a split washer and a larger washer underneath.
The drum type screw looks too short and there isn't any washer, I would say it's really bad conception.
Yep! Bad design. I will be experimenting with different modifications.

Thanks but that would not work. I have the roto's specifically placed. I would not be able to offset. And it still would not fix the issue. The track would still remain loose.

This is exactly how I fixed the issue when I still played roto toms. Are you sure you are understanding what KEEF is recommending? If the roto tom stand is moved toward the big tom, it will sit under the center of balance so that the weight is equalized and there will be no tendency to sag to the heavy side of the rack. You will not need to change the position of your roto toms at all - only the position of the stand. This really is the logical and workable solution to your problem. It will work.

GeeDeeEmm

This is exactly how I fixed the issue when I still played roto toms. Are you sure you are understanding what KEEF is recommending? If the roto tom stand is moved toward the big tom, it will sit under the center of balance so that the weight is equalized and there will be no tendency to sag to the heavy side of the rack. You will not need to change the position of your roto toms at all - only the position of the stand. This really is the logical and workable solution to your problem. It will work.

GeeDeeEmm
Yep, perfectly understand what he was trying to say. (move the stand and not the toms). I can't move the stand from where it sits. My HH, Roto stand, China stand, & sample pad arm are all in a specific position in a very compact area. It won't work for me. If I slide over the roto stand it affects my positioning and reach. Also, It would balance the rack but it would still remain loose. That solution is not a permanent fix. A permanent fix would be modifying the AD-10 part with other washers, locking nut & stronger and longer bolts which I'm working on right now.
Thanks,
LRod

Back