Recommendation for bass drum patch

Achilles Stand

I just put new heads on my bass drum. I used Aquarian Deep Vintage II with felt strips, on both the batter and reso sides. I'm loving the sound. I'm using the square Danmar felt beaters with a Speed Cobra double pedal. This is my quiet kit, I'm mostly playing with four grass Vic Firth Remix brushes, playing very quietly.

I haven't been using a patch yet but I think it would be a good idea to put one on the kick's batter head so I don't bust out a hole over time. I'm liking the sound just as it and don't want to add attack or change the eq of the drum. When I play normal loud volume (metal) I use falam slams on an EMAD 2 but that really is not the vibe here haha

Can anyone recommend a bass drum patch that
-Won't fall off, or leave gummy junk all over the head if it does fall off
-Won't change the sound by adding clickiness or attack or changing the eq
-Won't mess up a big square beater

THANKS

I'm a D.I.Y. crafty person.
I take old drumheads and place the strongest double-back carpet tape I can find on them.
I then cut out squares just enough to cover the impact area on the head and then some.
I layer 2 or 3 squares, just enough to sharpen the attack of the beater sound.
A little Goo Gone removes any residual adhesive on the head.
Inspect the patches more often if you use wooden beaters.

I use that star shaped slug patch with the round corners..it adds enough click that nats might possibly kind of notice if it was quiet. It gives me piece of mind..not that I go through bass heads. Try it...youll liiiiike it.

No bass patches for me. I don't hate them, though some can have a clicky sound I'm not in love with. The reason I shun patches is that I like the look of a coated bass head that starts to wear through. The coating remains intact everywhere but the point of beater contact, where a translucent circle forms to display a history of trauma. Lovely!

I like the Evans AF Aramid Fiber - aka Kevlar™ - patch, and have never had one fall off, even after years of use (I rarely change my kick batters.)

They're two for $10 which is pretty much the going rate for patches ($5 each.)

IIRC the Deep Vintage is a very thick head, so a patch might not be needed with lower volume playing.
My favourite patch is the Aquarian Super-Thin. It doesn't mess with the round warm attack of my Coated Amb + felt strip batter head, as much as some of the thicker patches do.

IIRC the Deep Vintage is a very thick head, so a patch might not be needed with lower volume playing.
My favourite patch is the Aquarian Super-Thin. It doesn't mess with the round warm attack of my Coated Amb + felt strip batter head, as much as some of the thicker patches do.
Thank you, the person I spoke to at Aquarian suggested it too. When I read some reviews on it, I saw that a lot of people see those wear out really fast and leave sticky stuff behind (it's what prompted me to start this thread). Has that ever happened to you? Do you you use a felt beater?

Thank you, the person I spoke to at Aquarian suggested it too. When I read some reviews on it, I saw that a lot of people see those wear out really fast and leave sticky stuff behind (it's what prompted me to start this thread). Has that ever happened to you? Do you you use a felt beater?
TBH I haven't used it very often with acoustic drums, but I've got one on my electronic kick, and it's holding up fine for nearly 2 years.

I had to move mine when I raised my beaters, and it did leave sticky stuff behind. Can't tell you how it wears yet because I've only had it about 2 weeks, but I asked about it and everyone on here said it was exaggerated.

Back