Quiet gigs but with a good feel - which 'stick'?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
For the drummer, playing an acoustic kit 'quieter' requires a different touch and maybe a lighter stick. That's how I've always done it, though a truly quiet gig has somehow escaped me all these years. Until last night.

One of my bands was booked into a small neighborhood restaurant, with the obvious requirement being that we play quietly. It's a blues/rock band with some fairly uptempo swing & shuffles. No way my thin 'jazz' sticks (VF AJ5) would be quiet enough, so I brought out my Flix plastic brush-sticks. Of course they were quiet enough, but required minimal motion and velocity, and being kinda front-heavy and the brushes being flexible, were difficult to play at faster tempos. I can move them well enough at more moderate volume & tempo, but last night really put me to the test. I compromised my faster parts, compromised the drum sound, compromised the feel, and just didn't have a good time playing that way.

An e-kit is not a viable solution, and turning down gigs is not the answer. I'm hoping someone here has found a stick solution and I'd like to hear your experiences.

The stick must be light enough to help me control the volume, but it needs to have normal stick action so that fast parts can be played fairly effortlessly. In other words, not having to abandon energy/technique in order to work the stick (such as with the front-heavy & floppy brush sticks.) It seems like there would be a special stick designed for this. I don't expect many more of these type of gigs, but I'd like to be prepared if we ever go back to this place.

Thanks in advance!

Promuco 5A Maple

gems

2B and 5B Maple too for more grunt
but the 5A work overtime; save some for me

Last edited:
The lightest touch (really too light for anything but quiet) I have tried isn't a 7A but the BopWorks Memphis R&B drumsticks. The handle is slightly fatter than a 5A but it 16 in with a long taper that get thin near tip . So it feels hefty in your hand but when you hit a cymbal/drum head it feels like the stick gives way to a really light touch (and I mean really light touch but you still have all the dynamics-I don't believe you could hit hard with them). Most people who try them don't like them because they do have such a light touch. I bought them because of my pesky complaining neighbor and I'm back on my acoustic kit with no complaints-Yeah!! They run about 12 bucks a pair.61aPZj1Uj4L.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

All the 7As I've tried are just too skinny to feel comfortable in my old hands. The ones Art posted look good. I don't know if they still make them, but Vic Firth has/had a jazz stick, I believe the AJ1, that has an extremely long taper so the grip is fat like a 5B but the shank and shoulder are very thin, with a tiny acorn tip. Those are the quietest "regular" sticks I've ever tried. A maple 5A is probably also worth a try.

I sometimes use Hot Rods for quiet gigs, but quick cymbal articulation is out of the question.

I use the Los Cabos Jive maple for quieter gigs. They're very light and have a ball tip, which sounds fantastic on the ride cymbal, .556 x 16.25" (7A's are too short for me).

I know that maple is a lighter wood for a stick, but I'm thinking there has to be a stick designed specifically for lower volume but with a natural feel. Simply using a stock stick and backing off the motion wouldn't have been enough on a gig like last night's. It was a special gig, have never encountered anything quite like it before.

Just curious Bermuda, why not embrace brushes for that kinda gig? I don’t think I’d use sticks except for any bossas on small restaurant gigs, usually all on brushes (metal as opposed to plastic)
Unfortunately, most of the band's songs don't lend themselves to brushes. I actually had thought about that beforehand, whether I could get away with just a kick (lamb's wool beater of course!) and snare and wire brushes, but I knew that most of the songs would suffer. Maybe even worse than they already did last night.

I actually requested deleting a few songs from the second set, because I knew they wouldn't work at all without a proper feel.

I found the Bopworks Birdland model sticks put you in the normal volume range of an acoustic piano or bass. Very light 7As. I'd be bringing smaller cymbals too, an 18" ride, 15" crash.

That covers quite a bit of territory now-- Vater Manhattan 7As and VF AC 7As to me are like playing 5As. Most Bopworks models and Regal 7As are more what I feel is a real 7A.

VF AJ6.
Any 7A
…or, just play with the quietest of touches.

Not quiet enough. Seriously, this was a TINY room, literally probably an old burger joint with glass windows all around. bands should not be playing inside. There's an outdoor patio they usually play, but it's starting to get cold outside.

Unfortunately, most of the band's songs don't lend themselves to brushes. I actually had thought about that beforehand, whether I could get away with just a kick (lamb's wool beater of course!) and snare and wire brushes, but I knew that most of the songs would suffer. Maybe even worse than they already did last night.

I actually requested deleting a few songs from the second set, because I knew they wouldn't work at all without a proper feel.
Yeah that's fair enough, it does change things and sounds like that wouldn't work for that band. For restaurants my priority is volume, to play below the level of conversation basically so the owners don't ever notice the volume and think "we can't have drums here". I did a gig last night at a small restaurant on bass, with a band that'd usually have drums but no drums allowed on that gig. So if I'm lucky enough to get booked on drums at somewhere like that I'm trying to keep the clients and owners happy first with the volume, and then thinking ok what can I do musically at this dynamic. If you could use brushes and a tiny kit, and the band could be flexible on your usual feels then everyone can win. I hate to say it but sometimes I even get asked to bring a cajon.. I'd take snare and brushes over that any day.

5A Promuco Maple

quiet enough ? or want quieter 😁 .

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you could use brushes and a tiny kit, and the band could be flexible on your usual feels then everyone can win. I hate to say it but sometimes I even get asked to bring a cajon.. I'd take snare and brushes over that any day.

They balked when I wanted to bail from a couple of songs I knew wouldn't work. They typically respect my wishes, but I don't know if I can sell them on a whole gig with normal brushes and still serve the songs. Sonically I see a cajon working either, the songs are what they are and not open to much interpretation. The other members are kind of at a loss to understand why my volume adjustments can be a detriment to the sound and feel of the songs.

I'm starting to think that before I jump through too many personal performance hoops, I just recommend we don't play there again until we can set-up outside and I don't have to compromise the feel of the band.

Back