Premier 2000

KenDoken

New to me. A good friend traded this for some studio time
IMG_20221031_145404018.jpg
It seems loud, lively and sensitive. I'm enjoying the look, warts and all

There are a few issues with it. The throw off knobs are fully tightened and seized. The tension rods are tightened to the max. The shell is cracked near muffler

sounds typical; I had that drum from new in 1971 to 1996. Never turn the wire tension knobs all way in. Drum was 100% reliable. Crack near muffle drill holes? doesn't shock me. Mine was perfect till I traded her. I did put serrated washers on/under the top tension rods I was so bored the drum needed no maintenance. I may have got replacement snares when they were readily available once. that's it.

sounds typical; I had that drum from new in 1971 to 1996. Never turn the wire tension knobs all way in. Drum was 100% reliable. Crack near muffle drill holes? doesn't shock me. Mine was perfect till I traded her. I did put serrated washers on/under the top tension rods I was so bored the drum needed no maintenance. I may have got replacement snares when they were readily available once. that's it.
Snare wires should still readily available now as that strainer and wire setup was used on some of the marching drums until recently.

I took the drum to a rehearsal. Dynamics were great as the drum gets loud fast and the snares sizzle at the slightest touch. I struggled to keep the noise down and found the sympathetic snare buzz a bit much on the mids

Im going to try a diplomat on top with a little muffling cranked high and played with wire brush

I took the drum to a rehearsal. Dynamics were great as the drum gets loud fast and the snares sizzle at the slightest touch. I struggled to keep the noise down and found the sympathetic snare buzz a bit much on the mids

Im going to try a diplomat on top with a little muffling cranked high and played with wire brush
Unless you're absolute sure what you're doing don't fiddle with the four small screws that the wires attach to. They were originally set at the factory and setting them correctly is a dark art, they control how the wires contact the heads when the mechanism is engaged. Most of the time if people have issues with the snares on a 2000 they (or someone else) has altered those four screws. They're also quite fragile and can shear off.

Unless you're absolute sure what you're doing don't fiddle with the four small screws that the wires attach to. They were originally set at the factory and setting them correctly is a dark art, they control how the wires contact the heads when the mechanism is engaged. Most of the time if people have issues with the snares on a 2000 they (or someone else) has altered those four screws. They're also quite fragile and can shear off.
Thanks for the warning. I have a habit of tinkering and have had headaches with little adjustment screws on bicycle derailleurs and Stihl chainsaw in the past. I would like to free up the seized tension knobs on each side of the strainer and swap out the reso tho vvvIMG_20221031_145404018~2.jpg
Maybe I should just play the thing

Last edited:
Can’t like this enough. Unfortunately I had to strip and rebuild mine as the notoriously fragile part inside the mech snapped off; see pic of offending item:
9B2A28C6-23E9-435D-93D6-E7161A4466EC.jpeg
I got a replacement part and some of the equally notorious snare wire screws as I also broke one of those taking the drum apart!!:)(y)

Thanks for the warning. I have a habit of tinkering and have had headaches with little adjust ment screw one bicycle derailleurs and Stihl chainsaw in the past. I would like to free up the seized tension knobs on each side of the strainer and swap out the reso tho vvvView attachment 126544
Those knurled knobs are definitely worth freeing or replacing if needed if you can get a set of the wires (Premier 0655 is the right number). I'm guessing the wires have stretched over the years, the knobs shouldn't need to be so tight that they're immovable. It's only those that adjust the tension.

Thanks for the warning. I have a habit of tinkering and have had headaches with little adjust ment screw one bicycle derailleurs and Stihl chainsaw in the past. I would like to free up the seized tension knobs on each side of the strainer and swap out the reso tho vvv

When I had my 2000, I was so wary to not adjust those snare wire screws that I changed the reso without removing the wires, I just disengaged the strainer. Was a fiddle but possible.

When I had my 2000, I was so wary to not adjust those snare wire screws that I changed the reso without removing the wires, I just disengaged the strainer. Was a fiddle but possible.
You were nervous for good reason mate, I’ve only replaced the snareside once and loosened the tension knobs so I could unhook the wires…then my world caved in when my mech broke!😢:ROFLMAO:(y)

Back