Phil Collins forced to quit drumming

He's technically not a bad player at all.

LOL I must need to get out more because I thought he was a lot more than "not a bad player at all". I thought he was an incredible drummer.

When I bought the first Brand X album I was blown away by his speed, fluidity, ability with odd time signatures and tricky changes ... his all-round virtuosity. Live he mixed it soloing with a monster like Chester Thompson.

Yet he wasn't all about the fancy stuff. The drum line he composed for In The Air Tonight, including the famous BIG FILL was musical in conception and outstanding in its impact IMO.

And yes Collins is didnt had any drumteaching but his chops are good. He's technically not a bad player at all. Listen to the work in early genesis. Any live version of the lamb lies down on broadway album showcases his talent and skills aswel as the work he did with Brand X.

I always thought he was a pretty good drummer. I can't stand his commercial vocal stuff but how many rock drummers could do this?

I feel very sad that he can't play anymore, he has been a big influence to me not as a drummer but as a musician; he is the most accomplished musician I've ever knew.

Hey Crew,

Man, that's a big bummer. I always like Phil and his musical (multi) talents.

I feel especially bad for him, since I (literally) broke my back in 1993, (diagonally split lumbar L-4 and L-5 was in 4 pieces) lived in a wheelchair for 5-1/2 months until a brilliant neurosurgeon in L.A. took my case on and did me right. He say MAYBE we can get MOST of your leg use back, no guarantee. He did a duplex fusion using bone marrow (drilled) out of my hip, I lost a disc, and bada-bing-bada-boom, 4 months later I was not only walking again, but running 9 minute miles.
BTW, he said "lose the Harley, get outta construction, lose the waterbed, and never lift anything over 25 lbs again". WRONG! He should see me now!

Hell, Phil is only a few years older than me, and has bookoo more money than I do, and probably some serious health insurance. I guess by the news report that it may be inoperable, or so degenerated that no surgery could help.

Well, he sure made a great mark in the music world, and I love his work.
Rock forever, Phil!

Cheers,
C. P.

Question for all you drummers out there I hate to turn my drum throne into a office chair but I can get a back rest for my Roc-N-Soc and if it will save my back who cares what it looks like what do you think?

Recall what your kindergarten teacher told you: "Sit up straight!"

You can slouch in the best ergonomic chair or throne; likewise can sit straight on cajon or other less ergonomic seat. A healthy or poor posture is developed over time. An ergonomic throne only facilitates rather than corrects good posture. Therefore, an ergonomic throne does not guarantee a correct posture.

I have pretty good posture so I recently bought a DW 9101 round seat throne (no backrest) rather than an ergonomic model. I'm so old school that I go back to kindergarten!

My 2 cents.

GJS

BTW, he said "lose the Harley, get outta construction, lose the waterbed, and never lift anything over 25 lbs again". WRONG! He should see me now!

C. P.

Similar journey, similar attitude. 1 finger up at your condition can work wonders. Certainly worked for me (up until now anyhow). Maybe it could work for Phil? Guess we'll never know.

Turn it on and Abacab were the early songs when I first started playing that really got me into drums.

Phil was a definitely an inspiration to me...

I think some shots were deceptive, but for sure the snare was always further in front of him than most would have.

This is one of my favourite shots of him, it's from June 1977, but I'll try to dig some tour shots out some time. (love the China!)

pc_001.jpg

I would say in this photo his snare is way too low causing him to slouch over. Raise it up and sit back and higher.

Phil must have shopped around for the snare snad. I don't think I've seen one with such a short shaft that lets it sit so low.

im currently on a bit of a Phil trip right now listening to Genesis's A Trick of the Tail. its a great album. a new favourite for sure. Squonk is awesome..

Not to mention Dance On a Volcano!

Thanks LinearDrummer for reminding me of Abacab . So punchy. Love the part where he's playing that wicked pang against the keyboard line.

i am now considering taking up yoga and am freting over how i sit.....thats a bad one, poor phil

The press, as usual, made headlines sound far worse than the truth is.
Phil for one has not got a "spinal injury". He got an op earlier this year to re-align some vertebrae in His neck that were dislocated on the G tour in 2007. Since this op, he has trouble gripping with His hands and thus holding stick, and when He sits at piano or drums it hurts very much. However it is not hopeless and may improve with physio etc, so Phil FOR THE MOMENT cannot play drums, but in no way he may "never" play again. That is just plain wrong quoting by the press.
I know all that from His PA.

So let's all wish Him well and send healing energy His way.

Best regards

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear that! Thank you Phildas! Neck surgery is painful and it does take a long recovery time. I had surgery to repair the disc between my forth and fifth vertebrae ten years ago. It took me almost a year to recover after scar tissue formation complications and such occurred. I also suffered a minor stroke from a blood clot that resulted from these complications.
I wish Phil the best, My thoughts are with him!

I would say in this photo his snare is way too low causing him to slouch over. Raise it up and sit back and higher.

Yes snare height should generally be between belt high and belly button.

Has anyone ever used a throne with a backrest...do they work?

I was taught to sit at the front edge of the throne and being a heel up player your legs push you back to the proper balance point.

Not wishing to hijak the thread but a back rest on the stool is no guarantee of correct posture unless you lean back against it all the time. In my experience, most players don't.

That what I was thinking....its not like at a desk at work where you lean back.
But if the back rest can be adjusted at a angle forward say 30 degrees that may help.

I dunno... I tweaked my back working out in the gym and so far it hasn't been affecting my playing but you just never know. You have to be cautious cause once a problem starts it can affect you for the rest of your life.

If you look at early vids of Royster you see he has a back rest. I'm sure his parents had something to do with that knowing he was practising alot at an early age.

So let's all wish Him well and send healing energy His way.

Sounds like a biblical passage. ;)

It's good to hear that it's only temporary. I guess it's logical...since he'd have pain doing just about anything if drumming was that painful for him.

Wow, gotta disagree with you on that one. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EkU3Ta5Ys&feature=related

I always wondered about how he played because of the way he sat at his kit. He sat so high with his snare so low. Many pictures of him show his snare sitting well below the top of his legs. It looked odd, but I never thought it career ending. Fortunately most of his recent work has been writing, and a lot for Disney as in Tarzan. He may not be drumming, but I doubt he's out of the business.

Here's a pic of his snare position and it's almost out of the picture.

http://www.thatssofetch.com/uploaded_images/PhilCollins-775909.jpg

I agree that's technical for Phil and I enjoyed it but when I talking technical wizardry i'm talking about cats like Johnny Rabb,Benny Greb,Mike Portnoy,Omar Hakim,Dennis Chambers,Billy Cobbam,Steve Smith and so on I think you get the point as I said before I always liked Phil and it's. terrible what happen and would not wish that on any drummer I just don't. think he's the same caliber as those drummers IMO. Please don't. be offended.

Bonzolead

Back