Phil Collins forced to quit drumming

xplotaqlo

What those this mean. Drumming is bad for your spinal? or It is just that we have to be careful in what position we sit while drumming?.

It is very sad for the music world that a solid idol as Phil has to quit!!

skreg

Every time I talk to anybody about posture, opinions differ. Lots of people sit very low. Lots of people sit very high. Honestly, I take all the advice I can, but I still run into back pain, especially when I'm working heavy double-kick routines.

Personally, I play everything relatively high - with my snare stand up as high as it goes, and my cheapo Tama throne as high as it goes. I'm not a tall person - 5' 9" or so, but I feel like I have much more leverage with both my hands and feet when things are below me. My toms are set as low as I can get them, the snare is at a very close level. Also, hats are WAY low, just a few inches above the snare because I play OHP. All of the cymbals rest just above the rack toms, with an exception of a crash on the right side, which sits above the ride cymbal (which is already above the rack tom).

Seriously, though - why so many contradictory opinions? Our physiology should really dictate an appropriate posture.

-sheldon

Cuban

Seriously, though - why so many contradictory opinions? Our physiology should really dictate an appropriate posture.

-sheldon
I guess just because we are all human and made differently while we each lead very different lives - as ever, there is no right or wrong for all.

Back with Phil, someone I know who has been working with Phil these past few days says he is in good spirits which is great to hear.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Thought it was worth mentioning that Phil appeared at the Prince's Trust a couple weeks ago and was playing drums with Clapton and Queen.