Pearl sTODDio drum kit

madjack956

Just saw this today on DCP. Beautiful looking 8 pc. Masterworks drum kit that sounds really great. Inspired by Todd Sucherman.
A tad out of most peoples price range though, I would think.
$12,000.00 +

Dang that finish....
1657038903307.png

My kit is made in China and it's pretty nice but I don't think I'd be looking to buy drums made in China once I crossed the $3000 threshold.
When its all said and done I'll have about $3k into my chinese shell bank. But that's 3 rack toms, 3 floor toms, 3 kicks and 3 snares. Going purely on a dollar number without talking about what you're getting doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Would I buy a 3 or 4 piece chinese made kit for $3k? Heck no.

Masterworks are truely custom builds. With your choice of Maple, Birch, Gum, African Mahogany wood to choose from (also add Carbon Fiber and/or Fiberglass) ..... you get a whole lotta shell formula's to consider.

Then add you get 4 different shell types to pick from .....

And 5 different bearing edges to choose from .....

Not a whole lotta companies let you "run with the ball" like this.

And if you can't make up your mind, they offer 5 different house builds.

That 8 piece is gorgeous ..... and I can appreciate it for what it is ....... but that's someone elses dream kit, not mine;)

Because there would be better options out there. Tama is the only Chinese build I'd consider at that amount. Something like a Starclassic Maple.
When its all said and done I'll have about $3k into my chinese shell bank. But that's 3 rack toms, 3 floor toms, 3 kicks and 3 snares. Going purely on a dollar number without talking about what you're getting doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Would I buy a 3 or 4 piece chinese made kit for $3k? Heck no.
It appears you went for quantity over quality. I can't imagine what model/brand that would be.

It appears you went for quantity over quality. I can't imagine what model/brand that would be.
Not at all. They're Sonor AQ2s and no matter who you ask the answer will be the same: they sound like pro quality drums and 99.9% of normal people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and SQs. All maple shells, cast tune safe lugs, gasketed mounts, etc. The only give away they're not high end is the bass drum tom mount.

They come in preconfigured shell packs or separate add ons. I picked up the Studio pack (20b/10/12/14f/14s), the Martini (14b/8/13f/12s). Those two kits were $1,600 (the Studio included hardware). Then I added the 16" floor tom from the Stage config for $300. I will be adding the 22x17.5 bass drum that pack eventually (they go about $500) and the 13" snare from the Bop pack for $200. All that plus about $400 in additional hardware and I have an absolutely amazing sounding bank of shells that I can use to configure just about any size drum kit - all for $3k. Frankly, I don't see a need to ever buy another drum kit again unless I want something in Beech or another material. I'm going to be doing an in-depth 6 month review of them in a bit here.

Not at all. They're Sonor AQ2s and no matter who you ask the answer will be the same: they sound like pro quality drums and 99.9% of normal people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and SQs. All maple shells, cast tune safe lugs, gasketed mounts, etc. The only give away they're not high end is the bass drum tom mount.

They come in preconfigured shell packs or separate add ons. I picked up the Studio pack (20b/10/12/14f/14s), the Martini (14b/8/13f/12s). Those two kits were $1,600 (the Studio included hardware). Then I added the 16" floor tom from the Stage config for $300. I will be adding the 22x17.5 bass drum that pack eventually (they go about $500) and the 13" snare from the Bop pack for $200. All that plus about $400 in additional hardware and I have an absolutely amazing sounding bank of shells that I can use to configure just about any size drum kit - all for $3k. Frankly, I don't see a need to ever buy another drum kit again unless I want something in Beech or another material. I'm going to be doing an in-depth 6 month review of them in a bit here.
Ok then! ;)

I totally agree with every thing you said, honestly I would prefere the Sonor Aq2s over those pearl sTOODio any day of the week.

I totally agree with every thing you said, honestly I would prefere the Sonor Aq2s over those pearl sTOODio any day of the week.
For fun I went on the SQ2 configurator this morning and rendered the exact shell bank I described in my post (thin maple, white pearl wrap) and the total came to $15,240.79.

A die hard Styx fan will snap this up. They wouldn't advertise it otherwise. Way too big of a set up for me personally but they certainly look the part.

I think that works out at about £8-9k, might need a bigger paper round ;)

Just hope whoever gets it realises it won't make them play like Todd!

Because there would be better options out there. Tama is the only Chinese build I'd consider at that amount. Something like a Starclassic Maple.

Lol.

For fun I went on the SQ2 configurator this morning and rendered the exact shell bank I described in my post (thin maple, white pearl wrap) and the total came to $15,240.79.
Yeh thats US dollars I'm in Australia they would be around 20 000 bucks here.

Yeh thats US dollars I'm in Australia they would be around 20 000 bucks here.
Apparently the prices quoted by the SQ2 configurator are the *minimum* prices that Sonor says can be advertised and when you actually order one the prices in reality tend to be lower, especially if you're dealing with a rep that isn't looking to gouge.

Back