Paiste hi-hat advice, 602 and signature

Well, that's a more based answer. Thanks for the clarification, man. According to your experience, do you recommend the DE over the other Signature option I mentioned or the KZ combo?

I have no experience with the Dark Energy's but suspect they would be best for quieter gigs.

I have a set of 14" Dark Crisp hats, and those can be pretty loud. However, they are quite....dark and crisp. Played carefully, they can work for just about any volume gig.
While on a buying spree at Drum Center NH, I was able to compare various hi hat cymbals. I purchased a set of 14" Paiste Dark Crisp hats, but the softest, darkest hats were the Master Dark. Very quiet, buttery without any of the brightness Paiste is known for. If I had unlimited funds, I'd outfit my kit with an entire set of Dark Masters.

Since you mentioned New Beats, I suggest also looking into a used pair from the 70s. They sound great, are extremely versatile, with none of the harsh clangy tone of every version since then.

Well, that's a more based answer. Thanks for the clarification, man. According to your experience, do you recommend the DE over the other Signature option I mentioned or the KZ combo?
You mentioned using them mostly at home and small gigs, and for that I would recommend the 602s or Masters Dark. I like the Signature alloy but for me it is not well suited to quieter environments. My favorite hats for small rooms are 602s and some older Zildjians in thin weights.

Reactions: I-P
You mentioned using them mostly at home and small gigs, and for that I would recommend the 602s or Masters Dark. I like the Signature alloy but for me it is not well suited to quieter environments. My favorite hats for small rooms are 602s and some older Zildjians in thin weights.
Thanks for your reply, Bongo. With playing at home and small gigs I referred to not play loud styles, like metal, but I can play quieter styles, like funk or reggae at moderate intensity. And most importantly, I own right now a pair of 13" KZ which I like a lot but considering that the rest of my setup are Signatures (14" Full Crash, 16" Mellow Crash and 20" Full Ride) I was tempted to have also Signatures hats. My question more exactly would be if switching from the KZs to a Signature Medium or Dark Crisp hats would be a good idea or not. I like the KZs but sometimes I find it a bit chunky, I'm looking for something slightly toastier.

I think the Dark Crisp hi hats sound amazing, but the mediums are nice too. I think either option will be plenty crisp, and even though the Dark Crisp pair is another "thin top heavy bottom" like the K/Z hats they certainly aren't what I'd call "chunky" and should give you plenty of contrast.

I think the Dark Crisp hi hats sound amazing, but the mediums are nice too. I think either option will be plenty crisp, and even though the Dark Crisp pair is another "thin top heavy bottom" like the K/Z hats they certainly aren't what I'd call "chunky" and should give you plenty of contrast.
Thanks, man, that helps a lot. I'm listening to both hats audio files in Paiste.com (in 14" both, unfortunately the 13" Mediums are discontinued) and both sound really similar, except that the Dark Crisps are slightly lower in pitch.

Paiste fanboy chiming in here - I think the top/bottom weight ratio is worth looking at, as suggested by others previously. It’s my understanding that the K/Z combo is relatively thin top over heavy bottom, yes? Similar to New Beats, but with more “character” cymbals that color the sound more than A’s.

If you’re looking for a contrast to that sound to go with your other Paiste’s, I’d think the medium hats in whatever your preferred size would be the way to go. The Dark Crisp pairs are thinner over thicker. The Mediums are too, but the ratio isn’t as drastic as the Dark Crisp. As @Winston_Wolf mentioned above, Dark Crisp won’t be as pronounced compared to the K/Z, but if you’re already wanting a different sound, why not go “full” different?

Not an apples to apples comparison here, but I have two sets of 602 15” Sound Edge hats. Most of the time I use them as “directed” with the SE bottom in place. Occasionally, though, I’ll use the heavier of the two top cymbals on bottom for exactly the sound you’re looking for - “toastier” as you called it. (Great definition, by the way!) The heavier top cymbal is only about 10g heavier, so my “two tops” pair is essentially the same weights top and bottom.

This is what I was going to recommend. The Dark Crisp hats are just about perfect. Phenomenal sounding cymbals.

Absolutely. I have several pair of great sounding hi hats, but I've wanted a pair of Dark Crisp hi hats since the 90s, and I feel like I'll still eventually break down and get a pair someday. It's that slightly lower pitch (as compared to the Medium hi hats) that really helps sell me on them. The Mediums are crisp, full, and totally middle of the road (in a GREAT way!) but the Dark Crisp hats have that little extra something that puts them over the top to my ears.

Paiste fanboy chiming in here - I think the top/bottom weight ratio is worth looking at, as suggested by others previously. It’s my understanding that the K/Z combo is relatively thin top over heavy bottom, yes? Similar to New Beats, but with more “character” cymbals that color the sound more than A’s.

If you’re looking for a contrast to that sound to go with your other Paiste’s, I’d think the medium hats in whatever your preferred size would be the way to go. The Dark Crisp pairs are thinner over thicker. The Mediums are too, but the ratio isn’t as drastic as the Dark Crisp. As @Winston_Wolf mentioned above, Dark Crisp won’t be as pronounced compared to the K/Z, but if you’re already wanting a different sound, why not go “full” different?

Not an apples to apples comparison here, but I have two sets of 602 15” Sound Edge hats. Most of the time I use them as “directed” with the SE bottom in place. Occasionally, though, I’ll use the heavier of the two top cymbals on bottom for exactly the sound you’re looking for - “toastier” as you called it. (Great definition, by the way!) The heavier top cymbal is only about 10g heavier, so my “two tops” pair is essentially the same weights top and bottom.
This is what I was going to recommend. The Dark Crisp hats are just about perfect. Phenomenal sounding cymbals.
Absolutely. I have several pair of great sounding hi hats, but I've wanted a pair of Dark Crisp hi hats since the 90s, and I feel like I'll still eventually break down and get a pair someday. It's that slightly lower pitch (as compared to the Medium hi hats) that really helps sell me on them. The Mediums are crisp, full, and totally middle of the road (in a GREAT way!) but the Dark Crisp hats have that little extra something that puts them over the top to my ears.
Damn guys! I really appreciate your knowledge and opinions. I'm almost to close a deal for those 13" Mediums but now I'm so tempted with the Dark Crisps, which I already listened in person in the mindfulness classroom at the school I work at. The teacher has 2 humble drum kits and 2 middle schoolers start playing them and then I heard one of the hats and I thought "damn those hats sound amazing". Then I realized what I was hearing... I can't unheard them now...

Reactions: RVC
The Paiste Black 2002 Big Beat 15" hats are thin and could easily meet your criteria.

My set are:
Top 786 grams
Bottom 965 grams

Reactions: RVC
I never thought of my Dark Crisps as having a light top.

The 911g top and 1470g bottom, is the heaviest pair I own.

Seems that the Signatures are heavy for their weight class, which may explain their stiffness. 2002's and Giant Beats (even more so) are famous for being a class thinner than what the label says.

The Dark Crisp hats have the lightest top of any other Signature hi hat. Heaviest bottom too.
Good to know...in case I ever got the urge to pick up more hi-hats.

Are the Dark Crisp hats lighter than the Signature Traditionals hats?

Seems that the Signatures are heavy for their weight class, which may explain their stiffness. 2002's and Giant Beats (even more so) are famous for being a class thinner than what the label says.
I've found this to be the case.

On all my other (non-Signature series) hats, I can close them pretty tightly. That's not quite the case with the Dark Crisp hats. The top hat doesn't seem to give at all if I try to get a really tight closed sound. It also has a slightly different, flatter profile, which might have something to do with it.

That said, I really dig the hats. They seem kinda loud in the practice room sometimes but blend in with the band perfectly.

So the K hi Hats I bought new one day I noticed were warped. So I went back to the store (when there was one local) and Exchanged for Signature Dark Crisp.

I recall them having such a suction lifting off the pedal barely brought them apart
I wasn't done yet with Paiste Signatures tho ....

I ended with Signature 14" Sound Edges a 16" Full Crash left a Sound Creation Dark Medium Ride main with 2 rivets
before abandoning and turning my full attention toward Istanbul that was 96 when presplits were still being shipped.
Then 6 years after that...

Last edited:
Back