Paiste 602 22" thin opinions

KenDoken

I'm thinking of picking up a paiste 602 22" thin sn#418081. Apparently it's 2400g which seems on the heavy side for a thin 22

Anyone owned one of these? I'm interested in their take

Last edited:
That’s a 602 Thin Crash ? The 22’s come in ride and crash to my knowledge.

I have one , and it’s one of the most beautiful sounding cymbals I own. Unfortunately I don’t use it much. It’s not very useful as a light ride, the weigh distribution and overall vibe is too washy for me. I know some drummers can make that work.

But as a big lush pop rock crash cymbal? None better.

which seems on the heavy side for a thin 22
I think that thought ' applies more to random hammered very Turkish types of cymbals whereas a symmetrical +/- hammered style like a 602.
That said I had a 2834g pre serial 22" 602- granted it had a edge rip which loosened up the entire cymbal a bit; I still thought it was low and funky enough (without resorting to the low weight ethos +/-
So I wouldn't pass up a used - reasonable priced- old 602 22- that ventured into the middle weights : )

I think that thought ' applies more to random hammered very Turkish types of cymbals whereas a symmetrical +/- hammered style like a 602.
That said I had a 2834g pre serial 22" 602- granted it had a edge rip which loosened up the entire cymbal a bit; I still thought it was low and funky enough (without resorting to the low weight ethos +/-
So I wouldn't pass up a used - reasonable priced- old 602 22- that ventured into the middle weights : )
Yeah. I wish the reissues were this weight 2800 instead of 3100.

You can find an older ride on reverb occasionally that’s 2800 or so. They’re really great cymbals if you want something a little cleaner.

&, I would almost say- adding to my 2c- 2400 in a 602 may be "too low" Ken...
Don't know if you'd be happy with it's ' pitch, "as a Ride.. : )

Altho open to hearing a SF of a 2400g 602 22" ridden.. : ) if anyone could scarf one up . : )

where etc. is the 602 advertised Ken..
there's an almost identical g i had..
another with edge knick turned crack as they are wont to do;
and a fat (ha) 3163g with video

WOW and........It has the "obligatory" "602 edge nick turned to crack" (602) feature

(I had bought 9 old 602's -each suffered from...)

But Yes that's a Rare bird to - go after!!!
You can take that ad down if you want to not advertise it) seem's Cheap reasonable price too...

7 minutes- Go!- you're going to have to drill it- but So What (as Davis would say..

Own it!

Here
Last post before my afternoon gig.

I don’t know what you would use it for, how your touch is, or what sticks you use, but that’s very likely a great cymbals.

I’d expect it to go for more by the end of the auction

Last post before my afternoon gig.

I don’t know what you would use it for, how your touch is, or what sticks you use, but that’s very likely a great cymbals.

I’d expect it to go for more by the end of the auction
I would probably use it as my main ride mostly for jazz. My touch is all about the fingers right now, push-pull on teenths and shuffles so fairly light. Sticks are maple 7bs.

I'm currently using an antique ismir 20~. Its amazing but need a second main as sometimes have gear in 2 places. I currently use a mehmet mini cup 19 but find the hum overbearing. I have enjoyed my 602 18 flat thin pre serial on the left so much that I'm hoping it has a little of that magic

I have won the auction and purchased and just need to arrange collection

Sticks are maple 7bs.
Very light touch. 👌

I have enjoyed my 602 18 flat thin pre serial on the left so much that I'm hoping it has a little of that magic
I just bought a 22” Signature Traditional flat ride and absolutely love its sound. Great stick quality with a silvery undertone/wash.

I finally managed to collect the cymbal
IMG_20221025_163301918.jpg
IMG_20221025_163401426.jpg
There's rattling when tapped so not going to wallop until it's been cleaned

I finally managed to collect the cymbal
View attachment 126018
View attachment 126019
There's rattling when tapped so not going to wallop until it's been cleaned

That crack needs to be fixed ASAP and before you play it again! You will ruin the cymbal of you don't.
Cutting/grinding out the crack now (do not drill a "stop hole", it won't work and will crack again), will save the cymbal and have little to no effect on the sound quality (see picture below).

Also, you do have a 22" 602 "Thin", they were discontinued in 1978, The thin was placed between the thin crash and the medium in comparable weight. It's a light cymbal for ride use, but if your playing jazz, it's probably perfect! The serial number says your cymbal was made in 1974.

PXL_20210827_025417044.jpg

Paiste 1978 comp.jpg

Well, I had a go at the cymbal. Not the neatest of my work. It's Friday afternoon and my arms are hanging off so it'll do.
IMG_20221028_165240185.jpg

The cymbal sounds good. Lots of warm body to the wash. The stick is bright and clear whilst being pleasing. It sounds full and gets excited easily. The vibrations just keep going and going. It really kicks the stick back so feels amazing for uptempo stuff. It certainly shares some features with the 602 thin flat 18 I have but with a lot more body

If anything it's a bit too nice sounding for me. Compared to my cast hand hammered Turkish 20 it is missing some of the more shrill, tremulous evil sounding elements. Looking forward to playing it out

Well, I had a go at the cymbal. Not the neatest of my work. It's Friday afternoon and my arms are hanging off so it'll do.
View attachment 126173

The cymbal sounds good. Lots of warm body to the wash. The stick is bright and clear whilst being pleasing. It sounds full and gets excited easily. The vibrations just keep going and going. It really kicks the stick back so feels amazing for uptempo stuff. It certainly shares some features with the 602 thin flat 18 I have but with a lot more body

If anything it's a bit too nice sounding for me. Compared to my cast hand hammered Turkish 20 it is missing some of the more shrill, tremulous evil sounding elements. Looking forward to playing it out

Classic 602's are great sounding cymbals and a nice alternative.
You did a really good job: the aim is to minimize the stress on the radius where the crack used to be.
Also, have you checked the edges for nicks dings and "flea bites"? They are a major cause of cracking, I file or sand them down to be safe.

nicks 2.jpg

Last edited:
Classic 602's are great sounding cymbals and a nice alternative.
You did a really good job: the aim is to minimize the stress on the radius where the crack used to be.
Also, have you checked the edges for nicks dings and "flea bites"? They are a major cause of cracking, I file or sand them down to be safe.

View attachment 126174
Thanks for the advice. I got the sandpaper and wirewool out and the whole circumference is satisfyingly smooth

There are so many 602s with cracks (centre and edge ). Perhaps theres something about the manufacture that holds a lot of tension

I took the cymbal along to rehearsal, it sounds lovely in a heavily treated room. The cymbal blended very well with upright bass and trumpet but drowned out electro acoustic guitar. The wash built up a lot under my careless playing. It's going to be useful for exercising my restraint

Back