Paiste 22” Signature Traditionals Light Ride

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ok - finally got this cymbal in after waiting four months and did a simple iPhone recording for comparison to my current 24” Masters Thin Ride.

I think the Traditional has to grow on me, it’s a bit dry. What do you think?

A468595E-E07D-4F8D-BB76-362AEEE17565.jpeg22804C5A-E640-4532-B9A0-C27079D82B3F.jpeg93A72E8D-B327-417B-9ECB-0CDDD4F128E3.jpeg93A72E8D-B327-417B-9ECB-0CDDD4F128E3.jpegF0EDB2DE-166B-4C1B-8541-EB92788F43F7.jpegF0EDB2DE-166B-4C1B-8541-EB92788F43F7.jpeg

Just in that video, I feel like the Sig Trad has a “harder” quality, with some harmonics that can be harsh when soloed and up close; while the Masters is softer and smoother, easier on the ears in this context. But the flip side is the Sig Trad will cut better in a band mix.

Just in that video, I feel like the Sig Trad has a “harder” quality, with some harmonics that can be harsh when soloed and up close; while the Masters is softer and smoother, easier on the ears in this context. But the flip side is the Sig Trad will cut better in a band mix.
Possibly. But nobody’s complaining that the Masters isn’t cutting 😉

take an old A 20 and an old same era older A 22 and it's two different werldz

But beyond that
the Traditionals are a what 30 year old design (1996?)

yes I don't see this being comparable but relative only to your usage outlook and usages in your stage presence being;
you decide which fits (and when) the group(s) better but looking to replace it's hard to top a 24" B20 half turk half swiss beast/
Unless it was a 24" Traditional. then you'd know the difference or would be an even match/up

Maybe you could call the 22 Traditional a Jr. 24" masters
~
22 A and 20 A are two different gig days
either is suitable but different play by play day actions
Can't overlook a diameter difference

which reminds me I used to be a 32" waist and now I'm a 34"waist
so there goes all those old pants,.

Last edited:
Think there’s that big a difference in 2 inches?
It’s 20% bigger. And of course you’re a pro, you play in a way that gets you the right volume. You just may not need to hit as strongly to cut through with the Sig Trad.

It’s 20% bigger. And of course you’re a pro, you play in a way that gets you the right volume. You just may not need to hit as strongly to cut through with the Sig Trad.
Uh....I'm not mathematician, but I think it's closer to 10%.

10% of 24 is 2.4
22+2.4 =24.4

Regardless, 10% should not cause that much difference, but it does seem like it's significant.

Uh....I'm not mathematician, but I think it's closer to 10%.

10% of 24 is 2.4
22+2.4 =24.4

Regardless, 10% should not cause that much difference, but it does seem like it's significant.
You have to calculate the area of both circles.

I also think the signature alloy has a bit of "stiffness" to it, maybe it's the rigidity of B15 alloy? For dark cymbals it's Masters or Big Beats for me.

I really like these lines.
I'm a little envious of your cymbals as I'd love to own some. The issue is I'm not ready to utilise such a cymbal, and I have some other series higher up the desire list.
I love the look of your Signature Traditional. 😁👍

Every time I buy a cymbal, my wallet gets scared. I haven’t made but one mistake, and while it wasn’t a bad mistake and not nearly as costly as a new Paiste, it still blows.

• Like!!
Reactions: I-P
Every time I buy a cymbal, my wallet gets scared. I haven’t made but one mistake, and while it wasn’t a bad mistake and not nearly as costly as a new Paiste, it still blows.
I think as a working guy, having something different takes the woes off the wallet though. I figure if I already budgeted for it, then it isn’t money that was supposed to be for something else, and if it ends up somewhat different, then it’s like adding tools in the garage. There may be a bunch of projects coming up where I could use that sound, I’m just not hearing it right now because the 24” is the sound I’ll jump to first.

Personally, the washy Merseybeat is something that I do an awful LOT on a gig. So the 24” Masters does that really good. It also does a great Tony Williams impersonation. One day I won’t need those two sounds and the 22” Traditional may fit better.

Back