Odd, Rare, Super-Advanced, Drum Books

KARLSBALLS

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of collecting odd, rare, and difficult drum books. Some super advanced stuff, so I can just practice reading and investigate the author...see what made him/her "tick". I'm also just interested in building a nice collection of stuff to read.

Stick Control and Syncopation get so boring for me sometimes lol.

My friend sent me a pdf copy of Bob Moses book and I'm slowly reading it. Cool.

I have a copy of Chapin's Advanced Techniques Vol. 2 "The Open End" coming, and I'm excited to mess around with it, if not just to have in my collection since Jim passed away years ago.

I've also read that Dahlgreen has some crazy re listed books that are coming out. Any oddball recommendations? His 4-way coordination book is killer.

I'm open and curious to anything "out-of-the-box".

Happy Holidays everyone,

Karl

Also Ari Hoenig's Systems 1 Book gets pretty crazy,

Indeed, I've been working from this one and the last systems based around the quarter note triplet is pretty intense.

I'd say anything by Dahlgren & Fine is pretty intense and not so common these days unfortunately.

Dave Tough's Advanced Paradiddle Exercises

A DW member has/got hold of an original copy of it and created a PDF - here's where you can download it:
http://drumz4sale.blogspot.de/2010/03/dave-toughs-advanced-paradiddle.html

A great book! It's been integrated into my practice routine for almost the last couple years.

The Ray Bauduc "Dixieland Drumming" published by Ludwig in 1937 is another one I have which is not easily found.

Also have a copy of the book my Dad used back in the 1930-1940's which some day I'm going to convert to PDF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dicenso's Universal Rhythms will stretch just about anyone, I think. The technical stuff is one thing, the counting and singing is another kettle of wax...

Blackley's Syncopated Rolls and Essence of Jazz Drumming will keep you busy for eons.

If you take the time to go through all the permutations of Stanoch's Mastering the Tables of Time you'll be a fearsome player.

There's a hand technique book by Buster Bailey called Hand Twisters that will separate your wheat from your chaff.

Generally, though, my opinion is that it's not the path, but how you walk it. For example, if you take Alan Dawson's methods for working on Stick Control and Syncopation, you won't have much need for other methods. There's enough there to build your facility up to a pretty devastating level. The question isn't entirely about what to practice, but how. We need to look beyond the ink and try to find more and more ways to apply the material in a musical way. Of course, the best way to do that is to be playing more than practicing. ;)

I think that if you take anyone of the standard methods out there and really put in the time - and I mean really put in the time - to milk out all of the possibilities in the material, you'll arrive at a pretty good place. The key is in having the discipline to see the project through to the end. It's easy to get drawn to novelty and get distracted.

That said, sometimes the excitement of a new book is just what's needed to rekindle the fire.

Blackley's Syncopated Rolls and Essence of Jazz Drumming will keep you busy for eons.....

I think that if you take anyone of the standard methods out there and really put in the time - and I mean really put in the time - to milk out all of the possibilities in the material, you'll arrive at a pretty good place. The key is in having the discipline to see the project through to the end. It's easy to get drawn to novelty and get distracted.

So very true. When I got these two books you referenced, I said to myself these may be the last two I ever purchase as I'm not sure I have enough time left on earth to really complete these.

I was taught decades ago how to patiently extract all things from a book - not to just take it at face value. As a result, I've been shedding two specific pages in particular from Essence for the last 3 months.

So very true. When I got these two books you referenced, I said to myself these may be the last two I ever purchase as I'm not sure I have enough time left on earth to really complete these.

I was taught decades ago how to patiently extract all things from a book - not to just take it at face value. As a result, I've been shedding two specific pages in particular from Essence for the last 3 months.

Nice. Get it in so deep you'll never get it out. Hope they're two good ones... ;)

Snare Drum Techniques
essential exercises for daily practice
by Pablo Rieppi

some really great stuff in this book
and some very advanced polyrhythm material

and Pablo himself is phenomenal ....check him out if you have not heard him

How about something that is super rare and a good get???

Karl

Dicenso's Universal Rhythms will stretch just about anyone, I think. The technical stuff is one thing, the counting and singing is another kettle of wax...

Blackley's Syncopated Rolls and Essence of Jazz Drumming will keep you busy for eons.

If you take the time to go through all the permutations of Stanoch's Mastering the Tables of Time you'll be a fearsome player.

There's a hand technique book by Buster Bailey called Hand Twisters that will separate your wheat from your chaff.

Generally, though, my opinion is that it's not the path, but how you walk it. For example, if you take Alan Dawson's methods for working on Stick Control and Syncopation, you won't have much need for other methods. There's enough there to build your facility up to a pretty devastating level. The question isn't entirely about what to practice, but how. We need to look beyond the ink and try to find more and more ways to apply the material in a musical way. Of course, the best way to do that is to be playing more than practicing. ;)

That said, sometimes the excitement of a new book is just what's needed to rekindle the fire.

Where would one go about finding the Alan Dawson methods for Stick Control/Syncopation? Are they online somewhere?

Back