Odd, Rare, Super-Advanced, Drum Books

KarlPalma

A great book! It's been integrated into my practice routine for almost the last couple years.

The Ray Bauduc "Dixieland Drumming" published by Ludwig in 1937 is another one I have which is not easily found.

Also have a copy of the book my Dad used back in the 1930-1940's which some day I'm going to convert to PDF.
Cool man. my old teacher loved Ray's playing. I saw his playing on the "green" hudson drum video DVD, forget the name, but the dude swinged so hard on a 5 piece kit with a slamming china. Did a really cool double stroke roll thang on the tom to snare (I've seen before) but it was so tastefully done in context, it was just badass.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
I don't know about rare but for advanced books:

Marco Minneman Extreme Interdependence

The Unreel Drum book (Colaiuta's solos/ Mark Atkinson)

Mike Mangini Rhythm Knowledge Vols 1 and 2

The New Breed 2 (I personally have never met anyone who completed this book)

dmacc_2

To each their own. It's about 250 pages and to me it's well worth it.

There's a lifetime of material in it should someone desire to take a deep dive into it actually dedicate the time to developing it. Skimming it will not produce the intended results.

Spread that cost over the several years it could take to make your way through it, and it's a drop in the bucket.

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
Most of the methods mentioned are from USA, there are tons of methods from other countries, many of them completly different than Americans and ultra advanced.

EVERY country has drum methods, just think about that...and i´m not talking just Europe, even every "thrird world" country has plenty...like movies

Every time I play in another country i try to get a bunch of them.

The Chapin 2 i bought in the 70´s...

Last edited:

sumdrumguy

A great book! It's been integrated into my practice routine for almost the last couple years.

The Ray Bauduc "Dixieland Drumming" published by Ludwig in 1937 is another one I have which is not easily found.

Also have a copy of the book my Dad used back in the 1930-1940's which some day I'm going to convert to PDF.

Ray Bauduc was a beast! A dapper, silky smooth, beast!!!

I found a pdf of his book years ago. Checked and it still works...

KarlPalma

Most of the methods mentioned are from USA, there are tons of methods from other countries, many of them completly different than Americans and ultra advanced.

EVERY country has drum methods, just think about that...and i´m not talking just Europe, even every "thrird world" country has plenty...like movies

Every time I play in another country i try to get a bunch of them.

The Chapin 2 i bought in the 70´s...
Any recommendations? I’m collecting since I got the time to shed now.