New Meinl Byzance Foundry Reserve line!

EyeMsteve

Meinl has just release a video of they're new line titled "Foundry Reserve". It's a different direction for them and I'm thrilled about these cymbals. Some are saying they are K Constantinople copies or Paiste Masters copies. From what I can see they look and sound great. They have a good washiness to them but also offer great stick definition. Let me know what you guys and girls think. Cheers!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IiESbxqUe0A&list=RDIiESbxqUe0A&start_radio=1

They look and sound good, but not radically different from what's already available. To me they sound a lot like the Dream Bliss and Dream Vintage Bliss series, these are just more heavily hammered. And I'm sure these will be at the top of the price chart.

Also, I gotta say it, I'm SO over this big cymbal phase everyone seems to be in. I'm tried of seeing cymbal demos with drummers crashing on 20" and 22" thin, dark ride cymbals and treating them like actual crashes. It's just a wall of sound with no definition. At least the first guy used his rides as actual rides. Obligatory 15" hi hat appearance too!

They sound fine to me, though I'm so overwhelmed by the choices out there for cymbal sounds. What actually stood out to me was Benny Greb's kit...what a killer kick.

Also, I gotta say it, I'm SO over this big cymbal phase everyone seems to be in. I'm tried of seeing cymbal demos with drummers crashing on 20" and 22" thin, dark ride cymbals and treating them like actual crashes. It's just a wall of sound with no definition. At least the first guy used his rides as actual rides. Obligatory 15" hi hat appearance too!

Now, this would be a great thread...

These could be the first Meinl cymbals I ever heard that I liked.

But crashing on big cymbals just feels so good... well, big crashes. Big rides still feel like big rides for the most part.

[QUOTElAlso, I gotta say it, I'm SO over this big cymbal phase everyone seems to be in. I'm tried of seeing cymbal demos with drummers crashing on 20" and 22" thin, dark ride cymbals and treating them like actual crashes. It's just a wall of sound with no definition. At least the first guy used his rides as actual rides. Obligatory 15" hi hat appearance too![/QUOTE]

I agree that it's somewhat trendy but Meinl does seem to make thin rides that are great crashes. Their extra thin and thin Jazz rides, the big apple dark rides etc. I think having this sort of cymbal in a jazz setup or having a big right side crash in rock adds diversity to a setup. Also have been seeing drummers use a washy ride to contrast with a more pingy ride like in JP Bouvets part.

But crashing on big cymbals just feels so good... well, big crashes. Big rides still feel like big rides for the most part.

It really does feel good. I prefer bigger cymbals myself, and I love wash-riding on my 24" Meinl Byzance Traditional Medium Ride and 22" K Dark Medium Ride.

[QUOTElAlso, I gotta say it, I'm SO over this big cymbal phase everyone seems to be in. I'm tried of seeing cymbal demos with drummers crashing on 20" and 22" thin, dark ride cymbals and treating them like actual crashes. It's just a wall of sound with no definition. At least the first guy used his rides as actual rides. Obligatory 15" hi hat appearance too!

I agree that it's somewhat trendy but Meinl does seem to make thin rides that are great crashes. Their extra thin and thin Jazz rides, the big apple dark rides etc. I think having this sort of cymbal in a jazz setup or having a big right side crash in rock adds diversity to a setup. Also have been seeing drummers use a washy ride to contrast with a more pingy ride like in JP Bouvets part.[/QUOTE]

I have acquired quite the byzance collection over the last years, and I must say the crashes almost always stay in the bag (except my vintage trash crash, it's so quick and present when I need it) and I love to crash my rides.

13 X-dry and 14 sand hats though, making me look somewhat less cool.

I find the prices have exploded in the last 2 years, and the new foundry line sure looks like it will be priced through the stratosphere.

They do sound amazing! I just spotted them on Thomann.de and the prices are indeed in the top. Look great as well! Curious to see if they would release a china in a few years for this line. With most of the new Meinl lines the basic line had a few models and they add the rest after it sells good (like the Pure Alloy which has new models)

Those might also be the first Meinl's that I've really been drawn to as well. I've wished for a while that they made 15" Constantinople hats, and those 15" foundry reserve hats are darn close!

Back