Mic Stand for Dummers.

A-customs

Silver Member
Looking for a nice stand.All i see are the cheap ones,that don't stay where you want them. Interested in seeing what other fellow singing drummers have.Thanks.....

I use a cheap one but I fixed the moving around issue.
I found a couple of dumb bell weights at the thrift store and installed them on the bottom.

IMG_0972-vi.jpg

The Tama 205 mic stand is rock solid - the boom system never slips at all, and the overall stand is a bit heavier than most. Great for overheads as well as vocals.

I used to have a separate stand, but found it hard to place on smaller stages. I now use a boompole clamped to my throne. I got the idea from another forum member. It works great!

I use this DW arm/clamp to hold the boompole, and this DW clamp to attach that to my throne. A short arm and gooseneck holds my mic (Shure 55SH).

I used to have a separate stand, but found it hard to place on smaller stages. I now use a boompole clamped to my throne. I got the idea from another forum member. It works great!

I use this DW arm/clamp to hold the boompole, and this DW clamp to attach that to my throne. A short arm and gooseneck holds my mic (Shure 55SH).

Sounds interesting. Do you have a picture of that?

I do some vocals while drumming and have the mic stand placed right behind the hihats, but it's sometimes uncomfortable to sing while playing rolls or with the ride.

Thanks guys keep them coming,While I'm not a lead singer,Id like to be able to sing a few tunes,but it would be more for some backup,,and also to be able to get the mic out of the way while playing with out knocking it over.

Yes a pic would be great,Can you just buy a boom pole????

Thanks guys keep them coming,While I'm not a lead singer,Id like to be able to sing a few tunes,but it would be more for some backup,,and also to be able to get the mic out of the way while playing with out knocking it over.

I just put the boom as high as the stand allows to get it out of the way between the hihats and crash, and then put the boom in a descending angle towards me.

I have a 15 year old very sturdy steel stand and it never slips or falls. I don't know why they don't make them like this anymore. I've played venues where the organizers have hired a "professional" PA and I have to adjust their damn stands all the time because mics are eventually resting on the drums.

You might consider Tama mic stands. I have a couple and they're solid. Here's the non-telescoping MS455BK:

mian_image02.jpg

Get a few and your gig will look like this:

Attachments

• top_img.jpg
    top_img.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 175
Looking for a nice stand.All i see are the cheap ones,that don't stay where you want them. Interested in seeing what other fellow singing drummers have.Thanks.....

Go to a reputable shop and look at the $100-and-up mic stands, and you will find what you need ;)

My first boom stand was an expensive one that lasted me 20 years before I broke it when it was dropped pretty hard. So I found another one made by Samson that cost me about $95 and that thing is a rock.

I got a K&M boom stand three or four years ago. Hasn't given me any problems. The K&M's are made of steel, not pot metal like the budget stands are.

I got a K&M boom stand three or four years ago. Hasn't given me any problems. The K&M's are made of steel, not pot metal like the budget stands are.

Hmmmm, not aware of any mic stand made of pot metal. Can you post a pic?

SAMSON MK10 is all I need, lightweight and fits easily in a hardware bag. The last one I bought was $17

The MK10 is in pic 3. can compact to 27" long with a mic clip on, very lightweight, again... fits easily in a 34" hardware bag.

Pic 1 shows an example of an ONSTAGE mic stand. The cheaper mic stands use threaded steel plugs inserted into the main tubing, the plug is secured with a punch mark at 3 places around the tube, these punch marks weaken and loose their grip over time allowing the plug to spin and when this happens it can fool people into believing the top section of the stand (or the plug itself) is stripped. The pean marks can be hit again with a hammer and punch, but IMO best to avoid this design if you can.

Pic 2 shows a better quality stand with the tube itself being threaded, no plug.

Attachments

• Mic 1.jpg
    Mic 1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Mic 2.jpg
    Mic 2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Mic 3.jpg
    Mic 3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 126
Why not use a cymbal boom stand as a mic stand? There are adapters for going from the 8mm cymbal stand threading to the mic clip size threading. The base seems like it would be much heavier, and you can use a memory lock to keep the height adjustment while leaving the upper portion of the stand loose (so it swings out of the way when not singing).

The best I have ever used. Fantastic quality and stays where you want. Also use K&M boom stands for Snare (Short Boom), Hat (Medium Boom), Kick (Small, Weighted Boom) and regular Booms for overheads. Never use any other brands ever again period.

K & M make a huge range of stands, at a range of prices. The cheaper models will slip if the boom is horizontal with a mic at one end. The more expensive ones are great. So you get what you pay for...

The reason I recommended the Tama before is because they don't make any cheapies - all their mic stands are the most solid I've ever used.

This has been an odd one for me. In years past I've used a headset mic which for what I was doing suited me perfectly. I later changed to whatever boom mic stand was left in the bag of stands at gigs and always struggled for placement.
I had a couple of years off BVs in one band but recently started to do BVs in another and I've reverted back to using a generic boom stand either at gigs or in the rehearsal rooms and I've gone from always finding it a hindrance to barely noticing that it's there! The two main things that have changed in my playing is that I'm no longer braying the kit as hard and as fast fast as I can (it was a requisite in my previous band but not my current ones, I can get about 99% of what I used to get out of my kit but with only about 70% of the effort so I'm happy to ease up) plus I've significantly lowered my hi hats from their maximum height to the minimum height I have on my stand.
So with the net result being that any old stand will actually work for me, my advice is to not overthink things. Get a boom stand from a quality manufacturer and 'the chances are' that one won't be significantly superior to another. Even a cheaper one will do the trick, how long it lasts will often be dependant upon how well or badly you treat it yourself. I've been in sithuations when the best gear hasn't quite worked and the worst gear has worked a treat so just keep in mind tricks like the dumbbell weights or gaffa taping a leg down to help when it comes to keeping the position.

I've been using a generic boom stand with a tripod base for 20 years or so, and it's still going strong. I think the more you gig, the better you should buy, but in this case just don't buy the bottom of the line, get one that looks decently made, and I probably wouldn't overthink it.

And I like tripod bases, I put the post as high as it will go and the mic basically out on the end as far as the boom will go behind me to the right so it slopes down over my right shoulder. Steel bases tend to fall over but tripods are stable for me.

Back