Mic Stand for Dummers.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Regarding placement (slightly off topic).

I always have the stand placed behind my left shoulder, with the boom set horizontally, going past my left shoulder and the mic angled sharply back towards me. I lean my head slightly left to sing, and can face away when I'm not singing. Its also well away from the hihat.

I hate the "over-the-head with a gooseneck" arrangement because it interferes with my freedom to move around. I filled in a few songs for someone with that setup and found myself head butting the mic every time I play a tom.

whiteknightx

Silver Member
Regarding placement (slightly off topic).

I always have the stand placed behind my left shoulder, with the boom set horizontally, going past my left shoulder and the mic angled sharply back towards me. I lean my head slightly left to sing, and can face away when I'm not singing. Its also well away from the hihat.

I hate the "over-the-head with a gooseneck" arrangement because it interferes with my freedom to move around. I filled in a few songs for someone with that setup and found myself head butting the mic every time I play a tom.
lol, I'm the opposite, I like it on my right, but sounds like an identical setup.

I also have a headset mic, and they sound like a great plan until you try one the first few times. You have to be careful of every sound you make, and that includes coughing, loud breathing, little comments you mumble, everything. It takes a bit to get used to having one on.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I had a headset mic in the 90's. I made a mute foot-switch and put it by my hihat pedal so I could cough, yell at the guitarist, count-in songs, etc.