Making money as a drummer - getting better or worse?

When you are competing with easy going guys, with a good resume, charging $100 to $150, you can't start being difficult. A lot of these people don't know they aren't in with the click. Also, most of the tracks I get sent are basically finished, just need real drums. Again, a lot of these people have spent months working on the track. If I say they need to rebuild the record around me they'll just say thanks and give the job to the $100 that isn't 'difficult' and will just send them the finished drums in 24 hours.

Good for you! I'm glad that you are able to make this work. I guess it would almost be better to cut the click way down in the mix and just try to follow the band, especially the bass player. Good on you for making money playing drums! These opportunities are getting harder to come by.

Wow.. long thread. I haven't read it all but I'll just say; we play bar gigs to get gigs that pay well. So many weddings and event gigs have happened that way. People see us at some of the big bar venues we play periodically and think 'What a fun band - they would be great for our wedding!' We usually pack the place as soon as the gig is announced (months in advance). Fairs and events are also great money wise.. they usually come about from connections or inquiries. I have to say.. I love playing weddings - except for the speeches.. but you get a 5 star meal, sometimes hotel accommodations and great sound. Conference type events can be awesome as well.. flights, great hotels, all included.
But bar gigs are basically paid practices..

Bar gigs are basically paid practices..
Oh man pub gigs, I'm eternally grateful for this scene. It teaches you how to handle yourself on stage. I've done weddings that have been paid practices, everyone left after the speeches and we played to the bar staff.

I hardly do any now, they still pay the same as they did 20 years ago here. One of my mates runs a pub and he's a muso too. We do the odd open mic night which are a good laugh. He offers to pay but I'd rather do it for a couple of pints. It's the only gig I do for fun really.

Between my 3 jobs (Touring / Studio / Teaching) I have been able to make a modest living pretty much since age 18. Now at time I have had to take a part time day job here and there to help, but the last time I did that was almost 15 years ago. Since then 100% of my income has been sitting behind a kit. Touring puts the largest amount in my pocket for sure. Followed by session work, and teaching, while it once was the largest portion of my income, has taken 3rd place now.
That being said, it's always a rollercoaster. Outside of a couple one-off dates I've been off the road since mid-November. We are going on 5 months with no solid touring or session work, just lessons. This means everything I made last year has been keeping my bills paid until the next tour kicks off in a few weeks. It's not easy to live like this.
I don't know that it's getting harder, but the slow times do seem slower, and the busy times seem almost overwhelmingly busier.

Between my 3 jobs (Touring / Studio / Teaching) I have been able to make a modest living pretty much since age 18. Now at time I have had to take a part time day job here and there to help, but the last time I did that was almost 15 years ago. Since then 100% of my income has been sitting behind a kit. Touring puts the largest amount in my pocket for sure. Followed by session work, and teaching, while it once was the largest portion of my income, has taken 3rd place now.
That being said, it's always a rollercoaster. Outside of a couple one-off dates I've been off the road since mid-November. We are going on 5 months with no solid touring or session work, just lessons. This means everything I made last year has been keeping my bills paid until the next tour kicks off in a few weeks. It's not easy to live like this.
I don't know that it's getting harder, but the slow times do seem slower, and the busy times seem almost overwhelmingly busier.

Good for you being able to push through the ups and downs and continue to live off your craft, that is fantastic, really it is. Well done.

It's funny and sad that bar gig wages haven't really ever changed since the 70's.. (after the musician's union kind of died by disco) .. it's still like a $100 per person (on average). I think I've seen this on memes and t-shirts.

Like I said, in the 1980's I charged about $600 a day for studio work. many drummers I knew were charging $1000.
If you look online at remote services, the most you'll see is $500 and the majority of drummers (who have recorded with household names) are charging $100 to $200. Piracy, then streaming has stripped out the financial side of record making. everything is done as quickly as possible, largely in home studios where you aren't paying for studio time, just the hours of the producer, musicians.
Yes, the most popular genres no longer feature acoustic drums for the most part. But low pay is still a factor for keyboardists and guitarists.

In the 90s we played for either 250 or 300 a night. Today it's 400 to 600 commonly.

Added: that's total for the band. And you played the same place Friday and Saturday for 500 to 600 total for the weekend. We play for 4 to 6 now. 800 at a couple of venues. And today you only play 1 night.

Last edited:
According to a Nashville pro who has made a few videos on the subject.
$100 to $150 for less experienced newcomers, playing in low level bands. $150 to $500 for touring acts. For the upper end pro it's $600 to $1000 per show.
That's where he sees things from Nashville.
Where I am, musicians are desperate, artists know it, and there are a lot of people touring and earning $300 to $500 a show.

I've done weddings that have been paid practices, everyone left after the speeches and we played to the bar staff.
Lol.. that doesn't sound like a 'match made in heaven'!
I've never played a wedding like that.. they have always been a large group of people that are there and ready to party! In fact we just got a callback from a previous wedding a year ago to play another family members wedding out of town in June.. the first one was at a luxury hotel. This one looks to be the same..

But yeah.. you can make a decent living just doing weddings.. but its seasonal, usually spring to fall. A local guy specializes in that and has a repertoire that is immense.. different languages, religions, current pop to old time stuff.. all categorized and sheeted out on tablets. Pros only - or those that can read and have a good reputation and knock down tunes fast - need apply. Basically they do their own show of killer dance hits but allow the customers to add a few specialty tunes if they wish.They can charge in the ballpark of 10K+ for a wedding show.
This is basically what we do for weddings.. (except for half the price) - we do our own show, but there will always be requests for a few special tunes.

Another niche that pays is concert hall bookings - either themed musical shows, killer tribute band acts, or travelling broadway shows. one thing I could never do is a cruise ship..

I used to play in original bands a few eons ago but I'm long past that.. it's so hard to get that off the ground. So many things stacked against you.. getting a following, streaming, etc. There are ways to do it through touring and merch or songwriting - and hat's off to anyone that can make it work!

Last edited:
Lol.. that doesn't sound like a 'match made in heaven'!
I've never played a wedding like that.. they have always been a large group of people that are there and ready to party! In fact we just got a callback from a previous wedding a year ago to play another family members wedding out of town in June.. the first one was at a luxury hotel. This one looks to be the same..

But yeah.. you can make a decent living just doing weddings. A local guy (Berkley grad) specializes in that and has a repertoire that is immense.. different languages, religions, current pop to old time stuff.. all categorized and sheeted out. Pros only - or those that can read and have a good reputation - need apply. They can charge in the ballpark of 10K+ for a wedding show.
You put those down to experience, the one I mentioned was the extreme end of the scale and a very odd night. We get weddings where you question why they bothered booking you but you plaster the fake smile on and plough through it counting the money as you go.

I couldn't do weddings full time. The work isn't reliable enough and the guys I've encountered who do it full time are some of the most depressed people I've ever met. Just constantly chasing money.

I play in a country cover band in S. Cal. We do about 70 shows a year in bars, a few concerts in the park, wineries and 4-5 shows at Gilley's Las Vegas. Our band leader generally pushes our fees as best he can. Band fees are split evenly between all 7 members (including 1 sound man) and we average maybe a little over $100 including take from the tip jar.

This is a fascinating subject. Please forgive the long-winded post, but I just don't think I can make it any shorter.

In my specific situation, the money-making has become better, with caveats. Back in the "good ol' days", which for the sake of this post was pre-2019, I was in a band that averaged 6-8 jobs per month. Some of those gigs were weddings, private parties, or corporate events. At those events, we typically earned somewhere between $300-$600 per man, per gig. 2 or 3 of those gigs, mixed with 4-6 "regular" bar gigs, rounded out my income stream fairly well, along with a few students and occasional recording sessions. Unfortunately, the band broke up at the end of 2019.

The singer in that band had been supplementing the full band jobs with quite a few solo acoustic gigs at restaurants and other small venues. Once the band had broken up, I was left with nothing to do (and no income). I begged the singer (literally begged him) to come play percussion on some of his solo gigs. He mentioned that he wouldn't be able to pay me, as these were not nearly as lucrative gigs as the larger corporate gigs and private events we had done with the full band. I told him that I didn't care, because all I'd be doing otherwise would be sitting at home twiddling my thumbs, and getting a chance to play (even for free) was better than that. He reluctantly agreed, and I played a few gigs with him.

During those few gigs, he began to see the value of having live percussion on his solo gigs, as venues and patrons were responding with overwhelmingly positive reviews and requests for this new duo outfit. Around that time, he decided to switch back to keyboards after many years of playing acoustic guitar exclusively. At that point, with him on keys and being able to put basic bass lines in with his left hand, the sound of the duo started to fill out. Although he wasn't paying me a set amount for these first few duo gigs, he was splitting tips with me. Tips at these gigs were usually pretty lucrative, so at least I was getting gas, meal and some spending money from them. Again, I wasn't sitting at home twiddling my thumbs, so it was better than nothing, but I was still going in the hole pretty bad every month.

After probably 5 of those gigs, he told me he couldn't in good faith keep working me for free, so he started paying me. We played only a few gigs where he was paying me before COVID hit, and the gigs completely dried up for at least 6 months. I was very fortunate to receive government pandemic financial assistance at that time and was able to pay my bills using that money. That financial help basically saved 2020 for me and I never, ever take that assistance for granted.

Once we were able to start playing again, which was a bit sooner than most (Bakersfield is a red island in a blue ocean - I'll leave it at that), we kicked the duo outfit back off and haven't slowed down since. With all the regulations imposed on establishments by the pandemic, full band gigs seemed like a thing of the past. Fortunately for us, the duo format fit right in to the new model most of the venues adopted. A side note on that: The venues we played changed drastically from pre-COVID. Gone were the bar gigs that kept us out till 1:00 or 2:00 am. In were the wine bars and restaurants with outdoor patios. Gigs were now only a couple of hours instead of 4 hour marathons and we were getting done by 8:00, 9:00 or 10:00 at the latest now.

A typical month for us now is anywhere from 10 gigs in a slow month to 15 in a good month. Like others have posted, the smaller gigs often lead to the right people hearing us, which lead to higher paying gigs. We're back doing corporate events, private parties and other higher dollar gigs where someone has seen our duo at a restaurant or a wine bar, taken a video and sent it to a friend, who contacts us for booking the big stuff. Most of the time, even the larger events still want just the duo, but we have some trusted players we can use if a venue or event requests a full band.

In summary, I'm doing better now than I ever have, but it all looks different now than it used to. I'm often not bringing a full drum kit to gigs. In fact, 90+% of my work is done on a 3-piece kit (kick, snare, floor) with hats and one other cymbal. Since a lot of the places we play hear with their eyes, I have grown accustomed to playing tiny drums and using brushes or rods the majority of the time. My kick drum in that 90+% of my work is a little 10"deep X 20" diameter drum that just isn't as intimidating looking as a larger bass drum. I'm no longer teaching, as I just got burned out on it. Recording work isn't very lucrative at the moment, although it does make up a small percentage of my income. Most of the income, though, is from in-the-trenches, down and dirty giggin', and I wouldn't want it any other way.

The best part of this whole journey for me is that my duo partner and I have become best buddies. We were friendly to each other when we were in the full band, but now the relationship has grown into something much more meaningful, which is another part of this I'm truly grateful for.

Sorry for the novela. Hopefully I haven't bored y'all to death. 🤪 o_O

This is a fascinating subject. Please forgive the long-winded post, but I just don't think I can make it any shorter.

In my specific situation, the money-making has become better, with caveats. Back in the "good ol' days", which for the sake of this post was pre-2019, I was in a band that averaged 6-8 jobs per month. Some of those gigs were weddings, private parties, or corporate events. At those events, we typically earned somewhere between $300-$600 per man, per gig. 2 or 3 of those gigs, mixed with 4-6 "regular" bar gigs, rounded out my income stream fairly well, along with a few students and occasional recording sessions. Unfortunately, the band broke up at the end of 2019.

The singer in that band had been supplementing the full band jobs with quite a few solo acoustic gigs at restaurants and other small venues. Once the band had broken up, I was left with nothing to do (and no income). I begged the singer (literally begged him) to come play percussion on some of his solo gigs. He mentioned that he wouldn't be able to pay me, as these were not nearly as lucrative gigs as the larger corporate gigs and private events we had done with the full band. I told him that I didn't care, because all I'd be doing otherwise would be sitting at home twiddling my thumbs, and getting a chance to play (even for free) was better than that. He reluctantly agreed, and I played a few gigs with him.

During those few gigs, he began to see the value of having live percussion on his solo gigs, as venues and patrons were responding with overwhelmingly positive reviews and requests for this new duo outfit. Around that time, he decided to switch back to keyboards after many years of playing acoustic guitar exclusively. At that point, with him on keys and being able to put basic bass lines in with his left hand, the sound of the duo started to fill out. Although he wasn't paying me a set amount for these first few duo gigs, he was splitting tips with me. Tips at these gigs were usually pretty lucrative, so at least I was getting gas, meal and some spending money from them. Again, I wasn't sitting at home twiddling my thumbs, so it was better than nothing, but I was still going in the hole pretty bad every month.

After probably 5 of those gigs, he told me he couldn't in good faith keep working me for free, so he started paying me. We played only a few gigs where he was paying me before COVID hit, and the gigs completely dried up for at least 6 months. I was very fortunate to receive government pandemic financial assistance at that time and was able to pay my bills using that money. That financial help basically saved 2020 for me and I never, ever take that assistance for granted.

Once we were able to start playing again, which was a bit sooner than most (Bakersfield is a red island in a blue ocean - I'll leave it at that), we kicked the duo outfit back off and haven't slowed down since. With all the regulations imposed on establishments by the pandemic, full band gigs seemed like a thing of the past. Fortunately for us, the duo format fit right in to the new model most of the venues adopted. A side note on that: The venues we played changed drastically from pre-COVID. Gone were the bar gigs that kept us out till 1:00 or 2:00 am. In were the wine bars and restaurants with outdoor patios. Gigs were now only a couple of hours instead of 4 hour marathons and we were getting done by 8:00, 9:00 or 10:00 at the latest now.

A typical month for us now is anywhere from 10 gigs in a slow month to 15 in a good month. Like others have posted, the smaller gigs often lead to the right people hearing us, which lead to higher paying gigs. We're back doing corporate events, private parties and other higher dollar gigs where someone has seen our duo at a restaurant or a wine bar, taken a video and sent it to a friend, who contacts us for booking the big stuff. Most of the time, even the larger events still want just the duo, but we have some trusted players we can use if a venue or event requests a full band.

In summary, I'm doing better now than I ever have, but it all looks different now than it used to. I'm often not bringing a full drum kit to gigs. In fact, 90+% of my work is done on a 3-piece kit (kick, snare, floor) with hats and one other cymbal. Since a lot of the places we play hear with their eyes, I have grown accustomed to playing tiny drums and using brushes or rods the majority of the time. My kick drum in that 90+% of my work is a little 10"deep X 20" diameter drum that just isn't as intimidating looking as a larger bass drum. I'm no longer teaching, as I just got burned out on it. Recording work isn't very lucrative at the moment, although it does make up a small percentage of my income. Most of the income, though, is from in-the-trenches, down and dirty giggin', and I wouldn't want it any other way.

The best part of this whole journey for me is that my duo partner and I have become best buddies. We were friendly to each other when we were in the full band, but now the relationship has grown into something much more meaningful, which is another part of this I'm truly grateful for.

Sorry for the novela. Hopefully I haven't bored y'all to death. 🤪 o_O
With all the running around you’re doing now, sounds like another good reason you lost all that weight.

• Love
Reactions: RVC
From 1999 to 2002, I was in a popular classic rock/ blues band. I was playing every weekend netting $70 cash a night and working a full time job. Things were humming along nicely. Then 9-11 happened. In 2002, I decided to get back in the Army Reserves, solely for patriotic reasons. The band immediately fired me because my Army commitments would interfere with the gig schedule.

Fast forward 22 years. A lot happened during that 22 years. I retired from the Army and am drawing a pension. I haven't had contact with any of these "band buddies" who fired me. Most are probably dead by now. I'm so glad I opted to pursue a career path that pays money rather than one that offers only promises and dreams. Promises and dreams don't pay the bills. A cold, hard, ugly pension check does.

Drumming for me will always be a "hobby", never a "career". At my skill level, there's no money in it.

I'm always in a band. I absolutely love it. But I know deep down inside that my drumming skills suck. I'm marginal, at best. Fortunately, the drunks in the venues we play think I'm Neil Peart! :) Drumming for me (and for most of you) should never be more than a part time job.

$100- is the new... $20-
This!

If you're doings pubs, bars and clubs here you'll get £50-£75 a night max in a band. Tip jars don't exist. I was getting £50 doing pub gigs when I was at uni 20 years ago.

The other thing I don't think I've read on this thread is having to evolve with technology now (and the expense that comes along with that) and electronic drums are really starting to become a must have over the last couple of years. All venues seem to have noise limiters in them or these dreadful silent stage venues that have crept in. I've fought against it but even I've bit the bullet and got some electric drums just to save the hassle.

All venues seem to have noise limiters in them or these dreadful silent stage venues that have crept in.
Talking about that: we have a gig coming up May 19 at the finish of a bicycle tour in the middle of a city, so on a stage outdoors.
We had a talk with the sound guy and we have to confirm to some Category II sound regulation, meaning the sound level at the nearest house may not be over 75 dB. That is the noise level of a hairdryer!
And we're a classic rock / pop coverband, we don't play soft background music.
Let's hope the nearest house is not too close...

I live in a very peaceful location, but noise abatement is getting a bit ridiculous. If it's a bike race it is presumably finishing in daylight hours.
More and more people move into downtown areas, then demand they are quiet - which is killing hospitality and the music industry by the way.
I am fully for curfews, let people get a good nights sleep from 10.30pm to 6am say.
I live quite a long way from Glastonbury, but when the festival is on I can hear the bass and bass drum from the MainStage. I can often tell what the song is. But it all ends about 11pm.

Back