Ludwig Classic Maple floor tom size with leg mounts?

4.james.four

Waiting for delivery on a new Ludwig Classic Maple kit.
Checking out case options as I wait.
Looking at images of the Ludwig floor tom leg mounts, it appears the drum may not fit easily into a case of the same dimensions. In other words, because of those leg mounts, would a 16"X16" be better off an 18" case?

Attachments

• CMT1616-WMP-large.jpg
    CMT1616-WMP-large.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 142
You've included a picture of a floor tom with Atlas mounts. Yes, they do stick out a bit, and yes, folks have reported that they pose a challenge for fitting the drum in a bag.

Perhaps in recognition of this, Ludwig has made their Triad floor tom mount an option in the 2018 catalog - it incorporates many of the same isolating features as the Atlas mount but is shell-mounted and lower profile. They started out on the Signet line (which is what's pictured below).

signet3.jpg

You've included a picture of a floor tom with Atlas mounts. Yes, they do stick out a bit, and yes, folks have reported that they pose a challenge for fitting the drum in a bag.

Perhaps in recognition of this, Ludwig has made their Triad floor tom mount an option in the 2018 catalog - it incorporates many of the same isolating features as the Atlas mount but is shell-mounted and lower profile. They started out on the Signet line (which is what's pictured below).

signet3.jpg

Great info ... thanks for responding so quickly ... mucho appreciated.
James

I have a 16X16 with 2 Atlas mounts on the top for cymbals. I use an 18" PR bag and it works great. Oversizing is always better imho. Drop it in and zip it up. No fighting the lugs or mounts. This applies for all my cases. For instance, I use a 24" bag for my 22 bass and it helps clear the spurs and extra mounts.

Waiting for delivery on a new Ludwig Classic Maple kit.
Checking out case options as I wait.
Looking at images of the Ludwig floor tom leg mounts, it appears the drum may not fit easily into a case of the same dimensions. In other words, because of those leg mounts, would a 16"X16" be better off an 18" case?

Yes. I have that exact same floor tom, classic maple 16x16 with the Atlas mounts, and that drum will not fit into my SKB floor tom case sized for 16x16. If you have a bag, that shouldn't be a problem, but a hard case would. If you stick with hardcore, I guess getting an 18" case is your only option.

Another warning: I was told that the old style Classic floor tom leg mounts would fit in the Atlas holes - this is not true. The Atlas holes are spread just slightly wider, making it necessary to drill one of the holes a little bigger if you wanted to go that route. I didn't have a problem with the classic mounts and wanted to do this, but I didn't want to drill the drum.

Back