Lars Ulrich

Not trying to be a hater becasue i don't really care about metallica either way, but I'll be amazed if he can play that song live. When I saw him at Glastonbury he was abysmal.
While his playing on that clip sounds to me both awesome and likely gridded, if I'm correct, they played Glastonbury back in 2014, yes? And — I'm not a huge fan, so could be wrong — my impression is that after years and years of criticism, he finally started to really woodshed a few years back, and has been consequently playing better than he had since last century. Again, not an expert on the matter, so I could be wrong.

While his playing on that clip sounds to me both awesome and likely gridded, if I'm correct, they played Glastonbury back in 2014, yes? And — I'm not a huge fan, so could be wrong — my impression is that after years and years of criticism, he finally started to really woodshed a few years back, and has been consequently playing better than he had since last century. Again, not an expert on the matter, so I could be wrong.

So….exactly how much internet complaining does it take for a multi-millionaire with a terrible attitude problem to practice drums for 1 hour? I wonder if there’s a mathematical equation in there somewhere….

Based on numerous videos I've watched of unedited footage from live shows, he has got significantly better in the last few years. 2014 was probably the low point.

The irony is that the average level of drumming in the world would get FAR better if a guy like Weckl or Vinnie were this famous. But the best drummers are too busy practicing and gigging to build a Metallica or a Genesis, I guess. There are only so many hours in the day

I'd much rather listen to early-era Genesis with Collins (who was, for the time, an absolute monster) than almost anything that Weckl has been part of.

Well, yeah, Weckl’s taste in music is…….not my cup of tea, either. Lol

However, Phil’s technique problems are probably at least partially responsible for his arthritis that has prevented him from performing for years. And even if they’re not, good technique matters for drummers. Especially as our bodies age

Well, yeah, Weckl’s taste in music is…….not my cup of tea, either. Lol

However, Phil’s technique problems are probably at least partially responsible for his arthritis that has prevented him from performing for years. And even if they’re not, good technique matters for drummers. Especially as our bodies age
Quite probably - but I don't really see people trying to copy Phil Collin's technique now. I don't think I've seen anybody else (with the ironic exception of Vinnie) sit that low in a very long time.

And I'd rather listen to 1975 King Crimson over anybody else, all things being equal.

Based on numerous videos I've watched of unedited footage from live shows, he has got significantly better in the last few years. 2014 was probably the low point.
Looking at Lars playing over the years, not the most ergonomic and pretty hard hitting. I’ll go out on limb that there are probably issues given the style, live shows, time and whatnot. The threads tend to go into talent or laziness…maybe he found a health solution?

Lombardo comparatively length of time, I thought has a more natural stance. He was very good at explaining his seat height philosophy at a drum fest I went to, clearly gave it careful thought. Watching Neil on the last few Rush tours videos, he really looked in pain.

White kits with black hardware never gets old <3
Someone mentioned here the Lars kit was notorious for chipping black paint….but it’s nice nostalgia for the fans.

I'd much rather listen to early-era Genesis with Collins (who was, for the time, an absolute monster) than almost anything that Weckl has been part of.

LOL not me.

Last edited:
The irony is that the average level of drumming in the world would get FAR better if a guy like Weckl or Vinnie were this famous. But the best drummers are too busy practicing and gigging to build a Metallica or a Genesis, I guess. There are only so many hours in the day
I’m puzzled why you chose Genesis for the analogy…Phil Collins was a great sought after drummer and not only played with Genesis and on his own solo stuff, but also played on lots of records for other notable artists…not to say I don’t get what you’re saying (I do) but don’t think Phil fits into this discussion particularly well? :unsure: :)(y)

I’m puzzled why you chose Genesis for the analogy…Phil Collins was a great sought after drummer and not only played with Genesis and on his own solo stuff, but also played on lots of records for other notable artists…not to say I don’t get what you’re saying (I do) but don’t think Phil fits into this discussion particularly well? :unsure: :)(y)

Untrained. And not interested in technique. At least Don Henley played in high school drum line lol

Untrained. And not interested in technique. At least Don Henley played in high school drum line lol

How dare a drummer not be formally trained or interested in technique? Off to the gulag he goes!

Seriously though, Phil Collins, whether he was “interested” in it or not, was one of the most technically proficient rock drummers of the 1970s.

Go ahead and play along to his Brand-X stuff or early Genesis catalogue if you don’t believe me. I love Don Henley, but God bless him, he doesn’t deserve to be in the same sentence as Phil Collins when it comes to drumming prowess.

I know I'm a little late to respond to this post but I discovered him when I bought my Tama Star Snare stand. I was showing it to my drummer friend who sold me my kit and I was telling him that I really like it.... He said, well, for sure, if it's good for Lars, it's good for you.... And Lars is in a Tama promotional video presenting the new star line accessories....
I haven't tried to listen to any Mettalica songs though, not really my style.

I get it, he is polarizing for his non-playing activity and controversial for the ups/downs of his actual drumming.

But honestly who cares.......if you like his catalog of work, great, listen to it and enjoy. If you don't, move on......listen to whatever blows your hair back.....

I'm pretty sure Phil Collins studied under a couple of teachers including Lloyd Ryan, I read his autobiography a few years back and I could be wrong but I seem to remember that he got more than a decent grounding from teachers in his youth.

. . . I love Don Henley, but God bless him, he doesn’t deserve to be in the same sentence as Phil Collins when it comes to drumming prowess.

That's what I was thinking about Collins and Weckl in the same sentence.

Why do people say Lars is a bad drummer? I couldn’t play any Metallica Song, means that he can’t be that bad.

Back