Kick drum mic

fess

Does anyone simply lay their kick drum mic on the pillow inside the drum for live performances? I dislike fiddling with the stand.

Yes, that's what I do when the band runs our sound. I do it mostly for set up efficiency. Any sound difference between laying it on the pillow and putting it on a stand isn't huge IMO. When we have a sound tech the mic usually goes on a typical desktop style mic stand. Almost always one of the other musicians will accidentally knock the stand. I always worry it's going to tear the drum head port.

Does anyone simply lay their kick drum mic on the pillow inside the drum for live performances? I dislike fiddling with the stand.
I used to do that but it sounds a lot better on the outside of the drum through a port

I used to. I discovered I like a PS3 front & back with no pillow, so I clamped the mic from the BD hoop or spur with an LP Claw or similar for a little while, then got a Kelly Shu.

Yes, but it's made to do that. It's a Sennheiser e901, and I've got a little loop on my bass drum pillow that it slides into to hold it snug.

1656088405146.png

I bought one of these but haven’t used it yet.

It just slots under one of the screws for a lug. Then you can just keep your mic attached in the kick and just run a cable to it
D3117271-6155-4ECD-9E66-588364355AF6.png

Yes, but it's made to do that. It's a Sennheiser e901, and I've got a little loop on my bass drum pillow that it slides into to hold it snug.

View attachment 120714
This is a great option for the OP. If you want a bit more shock absorption consider the Kelly Shu FLATZ internal bass drum mount for this mic. Otherwise laying it on a pillow will serve you well.

I have a section of foam egg crate from a mattress pad and some places that provide sound lay it on that foam.

When my front head had a 9" hole it sounded much better mic'ed than now with a 4". I mic at that port on a shortie desk top stand.

I would like to leave my microphone in my bass drum but then I'd have to have a microphone for each bass drum. I use 2 kits regularly and sometimes I bring a 3rd kit out.

I like my little round based stand. That way I can run ported or not. It has a little 5" or 6" round base so it doesn't get in the way. Plus I can aim the direction for more or less slap

In clubs that don't have stages, where the band sets up on the floor, sometimes the dancers got so close I would worry that they'd bump the mic if it was on a stand, and it actually happened a few times. So I bought a "Kick Port" and drilled a hole the size of the D-112 stem inside and on the bottom, slightly oversized, so it would accommodate a rubber grommet with an inside diameter the size of the D-112 stem. So then, the D-112 was inside the kick port out of harm's way. It actually sounded pretty good. It's a wrestling match to get it in there, but it can be done.

Befor I used the beta 52 and the other football mike with the green strip it was an sm-57 on the beach towel.

I mount my kick drum mic internally from the tom mount with a little home made rig. Works great!

In the past, I used to simply lay the mic on a pillow. If truth be told, I really didn't notice any difference in sound between the two mounting methods.

Having a mic stand in front of the bass drum is what most drummers do. I don't like this, as it's an invitation for someone to accidentally trip or kick it. No thanks! Internal mounting, however you do it is the way to go.

It works in a pinch.. i.e. you forget your mic stand :( Only thing I noticed is that it sounds a bit more 'boomy' lying on the kick floor (blanket, foam, towel what have you). I tend to position the mic head inside the kick centered vertically high but pointing off axis positioned horizontally off to the side about a third... also about the middle from front to back. Seems to get pretty good results with a AKG-D112. Shure Beta 52A - I've tried it centered in the the porthole with okay results.. but it loses a bit of attack and low end. Senheiser e902is great

Last edited:
"the other football mike with the green strip"
Lol.. never heard it called that. I could never remember which end of the football is the recording end.. so I finally decided that the green strip means 'GO'. Now I don't forget!

I mount my kick drum mic internally from the tom mount with a little home made rig. Works great!

In the past, I used to simply lay the mic on a pillow. If truth be told, I really didn't notice any difference in sound between the two mounting methods.

Having a mic stand in front of the bass drum is what most drummers do. I don't like this, as it's an invitation for someone to accidentally trip or kick it. No thanks! Internal mounting, however you do it is the way to go.
As long as the mike doesn't get so close to the head that the diaphragm bottoms out and makes distortion, you can go for the best sound.

Reactions: A J
Back