Jazz recordings with 32 bar drum solos?

Mr Farkle

Hi all,

I’m looking to compile a list of jazz recordings with 32 bar drum solos so I can spend some quality time with them. I’m thinking traditional swing and Latin standards - Oscar Peterson, early Miles etc.

Thanks for any help.

about 99% of Elvin Jones recordings and live video's
Elvin played solo over the form in just about every tune Live

2 and 3 chorus'es always right between the bar lines
Search Elvin Jones Jazz Machine YT live video from 1991 (was a VHS)

Is There's a Jackson In The House?
Ray El
Doll Of The Bride
Going Home and It Don't Mean A Thing Lps

he's right in the bar lines multiple chorus'es (he didn't want to lose his band guys!) and he didn't.

It was simpler and easier to list all this before the internet 😁 could just pull the CD off the shelf..
Without all these ads.

"It Don't Mean A Thing" playlist:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(not the intro) Beast Chorus solos start at 4:14

Beast chorus Solo at 10:23 in the above song Shell Game

that full album (finally found it) is here: (under Enja Collection

Beast chorus solo at 5:05

Last edited:
about 99% of Elvin Jones recordings and live video's
Elvin played solo over the form in just about every tune Live

2 and 3 chorus'es always right between the bar lines
Search Elvin Jones Jazz Machine YT live video from 1991 (was a VHS)

Is There's a Jackson In The House?
Ray El
Doll Of The Bride
Going Home and It Don't Mean A Thing Lps

he's right in the bar lines multiple chorus'es (he didn't want to lose his band guys!) and he didn't.

It was simpler and easier to list all this before the internet 😁 could just pull the CD off the shelf..
Without all these ads.

"It Don't Mean A Thing" playlist:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(not the intro) Beast Chorus solos start at 4:14

Beast chorus Solo at 10:23 in the above song Shell Game

that full album (finally found it) is here: (under Enja Collection

Beast chorus solo at 5:05
Thank you!! I’ll dig into that. I hear ya on the Google and the ads. That’s why I posted here. A quick search netted nothing but frustration.

Reactions: jda
That's going to be most drum solos, any time they take a full chorus. Start with your favorite records and go from there, look up people's discographies. There are also a ton of them on my site. A lot of those are trading, but a lot of them are certainly full choruses.

Otherwise off the top of my head there's the famous Roy Haynes solo playing with Thelonious Monk, on In Walked Bud. And there are a bunch of live recordings with Frankie Dunlop playing with Monk, where he takes a chorus up front on the tune Jackie-ing. Max Roach and Art Blakey take a lot of solos certainly. Look on people's records where they're a leader.

Back