Is Premier back?

Then probably Tama, Yamaha, and Pearl are not real either. Or you could argue that they build their own factories in China, while Premier just outsources from an existing factory.
The bottom line is, the factory still makes the drums according to the design and specs of Premier drums, so they aren't really less Premier IMHO. The new Genistas are actually more accurate reissues than, say, the ones made by their 2010's incarnation. This is unlike say Trixon, which just puts their badges on OEM drums without designing them at all.

The new Artists look like the former Chinese-built APK's and XPK's to me, and the Artist Heritages look exactly the same as the APK Heritages. There used to be a Keith Moon commemorative APK kit available in some countries. Solid kits, but I don't expect former Artist quality.
The new Elites, as a test run, are very attractive drums. In European countries they should have a competitive price, too. I wish they could introduce more sizes (tuna can anyone?), more classic finishes, and die-cast hoops (they could re-tool for the Genista so why not Elite?).
I think a major issue they're going to have is a lack of internationally known endorsers. They have no way of supporting anyone on a worldwide tour as there's no physical presence anywhere except the UK (and even then only in York) and a relatively small network of dealers in the US only. The few endorsers they still have, whilst decent players are basically unknown, or really only active in the UK.

I think a major issue they're going to have is a lack of internationally known endorsers. They have no way of supporting anyone on a worldwide tour as there's no physical presence anywhere except the UK (and even then only in York) and a relatively small network of dealers in the US only. The few endorsers they still have, whilst decent players are basically unknown, or really only active in the UK.
I wouldn’t call Ged small.

The man tours the world with artists like Peter Gabriel.

Julien just closed of a stadium tour with Westlife.

Speaking of Premier.

IMG_8400.jpeg

A 10/13/16 micro kit by the hands of Eddie Ryan.

IMG_8402.jpeg

birch with rings (+/-?

Brings to mind a Question
the 3P w.rings
the 70-72 (whatever the years) the International mahogany shell
and the
73-4 to hmm say 78
the Birch (international) 3P w/ ring.

Who built these shells? All in -house?
@mpthomson

amazing they could switch from the non/un-International to International sizing (cast hoop and shell)
within their own factory grounds (? +/-
So they were capable/ quite

Last edited:
So much love for Premier Drums! 🥳

Last edited:
birch with rings (+/-?

the 3P w.rings
and the
73-4 to hmm say 78

@mpthomson

amazing they could switch from the non/un-International to International sizing (cast hoop and shell)
Probably Mahogany or a mix, if I go off by sound and age.

Its funny thiugh that this confirms what I always thought; I want to know a shell’s thickness, not its ply count.

As my Gretsch is 6 ply and looks thinner than this 3-ply.

Last edited:
Reactions: jda
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. It’s only been a few months. We’ll see what happens.

An endorser in China received his new Elite kit on our National Day. Not sure if he's got a Youtube account so that I could share his video easily. It does prove that this new Premier is alive and kicking, though.
The shells definitely sing and ring. The stock heads have the typical Pinstripe attack, but that is switchable, and apparently he's content with them. They sustain a bit too long for my taste, but it comes down to tuning, and it's better having it and not needing it, no?

birch with rings (+/-?

the 3P w.rings
and the
73-4 to hmm say 78

@mpthomson

Yes, everything Premier made (hardware, the lot) up until the early 2000s was made in house.

Reactions: jda
True, they were birch only. So I guess they can't really be compared in that way, just using the same style of lugs and undersized shells. I see you have a really bad opinion of the new ones Rattlin' Bones, but I don't think they look anywhere as bad as you say, unless you have photo/video evidence of stripped lugs, uneaven edges, bad finishes and sound etc. I simply don't believe it. Yes they are made in the east (which to some I guess means questionable QC), but which kit in this price category is not from China/Taiwan? I won't go looking for a used Genista, I want a bigger doublebass, and preferably new kit. Thats just me, but I don't want to pay that money for a scratched older kit, and especially since big used kits are not commonly available where I live (Norway), and would be really expensive to get shipped here. Not to think about if I had to be so picky that it would have to be the Genista, it would probably happen once maybe in my lifetime.

I really don't care as long as the kit will not fall apart during playing and sound like a similarly priced maple kit, which I have a hard time believing the new Premier kits will not. I really don't need a kit with over the top attention to detail and perfection, I've recorded two albums on a Mapex Pro-M kit, sounds as good as anything top class to me. I've played gigs on several low end kits that sounded amazing with a good technician. In the style of music I play, slight nuances in the sound that might be important in other genres are simply not that important in high energy, high volume settings, at least in my opinion. It's basically that I want a nice kit for myself, not that I think it is a big necessity for what I do.

The other kits I've been considering around that price is the Saturn (standard, not Evolution), Sonor AQ2, Starclassic Performer, and for a bit more, the Renowns. The two latter ones I don't care for their finishes that much (and sorry to say, but I don't really see myself playing a big doublebass Gretsch kit, they just aren't that type of drums), and the Sonor appears to me (look of the lugs, bassdrum spurs etc) like a cheaper kit than the Premier and Mapex. They probably function as well for what I need, but I simply like the Premier and Mapex better. I do like the look of their sparkle titanium finish though, and they have a second bassdrum in stock at Thomann.

I could go the, I guess, safe route and buy a Saturn instead, they do come close to what I want, and even come with deeper racktoms which I usually prefer. However I've had several Saturns before, so it's not really anything new to me, seems a bit of a boring choice. The Genista kit intrigues me, I prefer the finish on them and they already have addon drums in store, will take some time to order in a second Saturn bassdrum. But I still have some time to think, will not rush this for the moment.

I don't have a bad opinion of them. In fact I considered buying one of the new Premier kits at around $700, but kick drum size and model I wanted didn't come with 12" rack. They're most likely comparable to lower end Ludwig/Tama/Saturn/Gretsch (lower than Cat)). I'm advising against paying $2,000 for higher priced new Premier. I'm also taking exception to any inference that the new Premier has any connection whatever to the old Premier. They're totally unrelated in anything other than name. It's a totally different corporate conglomerate that just bought the name and now contracts with Asian factories to manufacture. There is a bicycle company that does same thing. Bought all the old racing cycle marques and now builds new bikes in Assia and uses the old names. Cool no problem. Just don't expect hand-crafted Motobecane old school workmanship.

The two kits I own now are from Asia. Tama Superstar and Gretsch Cat Club. They're excellent.

I've purchased and used Barton kits. I liked them a lot. Amazing quality for the price. They're made in Asia.

But the expectation you'll get same quality/ craftsmanship/ sound/ chroming you got from a 1980 Premier made in England kit just because the badge says "Premier" on the new kits is just a totally false expectation.

It's an excellent business plan: use an old established name with cred and you get instant visibility and cred and you get some consumers looking to buy your product because of the name. Others (like me) consider buying because of finishes, sound, and price. But I chose not to buy because of tom size availability, and I could get what I think is better quality from Tama and Gretsch. I don't let the name influence me at all.

Heck, imagine the price the owners of Ludwig could get for the name if they went out of business! A conglomerate with lots of money buys the Ludwig name and then starts manufacturing all their drums in Asia with new Ludwig name on them. I'd not be inclined to buy them either just because the name "Ludwig" was on them, either. I might consider buying them based on price/ finishes/sizes/ sound/ bearing edges/etc. but not because of the name "Ludwig". Same with new "Premier".

That's all. No bad opinion at all.

Last edited:
I totally get you, I guess I worded myself badly some months ago when I said I was interested in them if the quality was close to their old offerings. I realise now that may have stirred up some emotion... They don't seem that bad though for what they are. In any way, I just ordered myself a Tama Starclassic Performer (Birch/Maple) instead, I guess I just came to the conclusion that I trust that brand more overall, even though I still feel the Genista offer a lot for the money, just going by my own impression. Maybe somewhere in the distant future, if Premier i still around and doing good with the same owners, I might reconsider them once again.

I totally get you, I guess I worded myself badly some months ago when I said I was interested in them if the quality was close to their old offerings. I realise now that may have stirred up some emotion... They don't seem that bad though for what they are. In any way, I just ordered myself a Tama Starclassic Performer (Birch/Maple) instead, I guess I just came to the conclusion that I trust that brand more overall, even though I still feel the Genista offer a lot for the money, just going by my own impression. Maybe somewhere in the distant future, if Premier i still around and doing good with the same owners, I might reconsider them once again.
Tama Starclassic. Awesome kits for the price. They're a bit too heavy for me to gig with (I'm old lol) but if I was younger I'd sure have one.

My Premier’s are probably the best looking, sounding and favorite setup I have. 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 22, and 14 x 7 snare. I have others that come close but these are definitely special to me. Too bad Premier fell to the wayside. Not sure how this type of attempted comeback will do. We’ll see.

Attachments

• 820D9FDD-26C0-4DBB-AFCB-9F6A39DA10F4.jpeg
    820D9FDD-26C0-4DBB-AFCB-9F6A39DA10F4.jpeg
    579 KB · Views: 15
  • 6692135E-455B-4BF1-A173-46C2B3A1362C.jpeg
    6692135E-455B-4BF1-A173-46C2B3A1362C.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 15
I have a 90s Genista, Artist Birch, and a Heritage Club kit.
1. The 22" Genista kick eats a vintage Yamaha RC one for breakfast.
2. The 8x20 Heritage bass drum is huge-sounding and can fill up a small room unmiked.
3. The 12" Artist Birch tom might be the best out of my 20+ kits. I'm serious.
4. The 13" snare from the Heritage kit has the best brush backbeat of all of my snares.
5. I was using my 5.5" Genista snare at a gig, and my buddy's dad, a studio pro/Broadway drummer, was there, pointed to it and gave the drum a "thumbs up"(unsure if my drumming was also being lauded or not).
6. Got a Project One. Weird thing. Have not miked it yet.

Yep, I loves me some Premier.

Dan

2. The 8x20 Heritage bass drum is huge-sounding and can fill up a small room unmiked.
4. The 13" snare from the Heritage kit has the best brush backbeat of all of my snares.
5. I was using my 5.5" Genista snare at a gig, and my buddy's dad, a studio pro/Broadway drummer, was there, pointed to it and gave the drum a "thumbs up"(unsure if my drumming was also being lauded or not).

Dan
I'd love to find a Made in England Heritage Club kit.

I still have

Cymbal stand (great)
Cymbal stand (great)
Hi Hat stand (good to great)
BD pedal 250S (broke)
Red Top tripod throne (busted)
Snare stand (broke)

the Lokfast hardware from my 1971

Last edited:
Unfortunately the Chinese dealer upcharges a lot for the new drums. A Genista costs more than a Ludwig Neusonic, almost to the point of a Classic Maple. As much as I like the tone, I'm not ready to pay that much for one and still need to cut the bass drum down to 14" deep.

Unfortunately the Chinese dealer upcharges a lot for the new drums. A Genista costs more than a Ludwig Neusonic, almost to the point of a Classic Maple. As much as I like the tone, I'm not ready to pay that much for one and still need to cut the bass drum down to 14" deep.
Their lower end pricing is comparable to Barton, PDP Concept, TAMA Superstar, Gretsch Cat, and the like. I considered buying Artist Club instead of Catalina Club because I like the kick drum size (20x8), but they only come with a 10" rack tom. That, plus I suspect resale value is really bad I'd have to give it away compared to resell of a Cat Club.

Dan
Yamaha RC's are designed for controlled sound for the studio - not Maximum Thumpification, surely?

Back