Is Premier back?

Tamaefx

Silver Member

At last they updated their site and their drum range ! Even though we guess nothing is gonna be built in Britain anymore.
This brand I love seemed almost dead for a long time - this news I hope will witness a true revival of this drum company.

Header-Desktop-15.jpg

Last edited:

Bozozoid

Gold Member
I'm getting exciiiiiteaad. Please keep the world's best chrome plating. 😃. I couldn't afford Premier when I just had to have them. I finally got a set but they were more mainstream. The last lug..the one that some didn't like I was goo goo over. Long live Premier. I believe a favorite tune..Patty Smyth..I am the warrior.. was played on a resonator kit.

Last edited:

Tamaefx

Silver Member
The Centenary models are astonishing - the Genista SE looks fantastic.
The Elite with thin maple and reinforcing rings looks very promising.

jda

Silver Member

Rosewood satin is the jazz color and they got it

they need a Terraverdi green

premierJDA1.JPG001.JPG

the stands in my 1971 picture left are still alongside other spares; with me in my 2022 picture right : )

Last edited:

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Pretty, but not quite what I was expecting. I thought they’d look more like the old stuff, like Ringo and Keith.
60´s Premier weren’t their apex I think. The Yamaha period was, I think, their best with Genista, Signia, XPK. And before, Resonator and Projector were great too. I wouldn’t be surprised if they make a 2000 snare reissue.

Last edited:

someguy01

Platinum Member
This was interesting:

About Premier
Premier is a brand of Gear4music Limited

Gear4music is owned by Gear4music (Holdings) plc, a London Stock Exchange listed business with over 500 staff and revenues of approximately £150m.

So, Gear4Music seems to have bought the name and tooling and is bringing back Premier. Will they have the same level of quality though?

cbphoto

Diamond Member
I thought the British Drum Company has the tooling & some employees. @Al Strange can you explain?

Drum Mer

Platinum Member
This was interesting:

About Premier

Gear4music is owned by Gear4music (Holdings) plc, a London Stock Exchange listed business with over 500 staff and revenues of approximately £150m.

So, Gear4Music seems to have bought the name and tooling and is bringing back Premier. Will they have the same level of quality though?

And Gear4Music is British founded, and still owned by Brits too.

As Premier already did a lot of builds in Taiwan before they closed down, I expect the same quality from the current lines.

I expect the Della Porta snare being made by Keith/BDC (as why its priced higher than regular).

someguy01

Platinum Member
I'm now thinking about those heritage Genistas. I want a bop sized kit, and I do love my Premiers.

Woolwich

Silver Member
It looks like Gear 4 Music are going to do a respectful service to the Premier name, but it stopped properly being Premier a long time ago, I loved the 2 Genista reissue kits I owned but at the same time knew that by then the badge had become a commodity to be bought and sold. As for tooling etc, the UK tooling is probably long gone as will be the facility responsible for the legendary diamond chroming, I also very much doubt that BDC will have any relationship with the new Premier and being honest my personal opinion of the later Premier years was that they'd move away from their earlier core customer base to one wanting craftsman built handmade kits, beautiful instruments but not what Premier had ever really been about. I've said in the past that Premier should have become what Mapex have though and to contradict all of my negativity they kind of are now. Good luck to them because looking at their offering and taking my preconceptions out of the mix they're making good stuff.

Al Strange

Platinum Member
I thought the British Drum Company has the tooling & some employees. @Al Strange can you explain?
This is where I usually lean on the knowledge of @mpthomson …as I understand it, the main guy at BDC was already a renowned drum builder, snapped up by Prem in their latter UK years? The new Prem chrome won’t be the same as in my mum’s day…the plating factory she worked at in the 80’s is long gone, as is the legendary Blaby Road factory where the kits were built…:unsure::)(y)

Yamaha Rider

Gold Member
This was interesting:

About Premier

Gear4Music are an online budget-priced outfit, I think.
Premier should be a prestige brand.