Interesting quote from Dave Elitch regarding rudiments

I enjoyed going through the wilcoxin book. That book got me into rudiments. Im not sure how many i use on a regular basis besides singles, doubles, flams, and inverted paradiddles and i guess thats the point; if you put the time and energy into learning some of them and then move on to something else, muscle memory will eventually start sneaking bits and pieces into your playing.

I wrote many draft answers to this thread, and have been following it for a while. Ultimately, I realised I had already produced a video that says everything I want to say about rudiments and their role in modern drumming.
Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and wisdom with us. Watching this makes me feel extremely grateful that my band director gave me a great start in learning the basic vocabulary --rudiments.

I kinda resisted the use of rudiments growing up. My tutor always tried to drum them into me and I just thought they were boring like school homework, I never saw Roger Taylor or Stewart Copeland playing them so why should I? It wasn't until I was about 15/16 when I realised that I really needed them as the tools to help me take my playing to the next level, so I went back to learn them and tried to incorporate into phrases. Now most of my drumming language is make up of rudiments, they just come out of you automatically after a while.

I've never liked this metaphor. Some rudiments are more "building-block" like than others. There are a finite number of words, and an infinite number of stickings. You can't form a valid sentence by saying the same word 8 times in a row. Most importantly, the ideas that we construct on the drumset are not all composed of rudiments (most aren't, actually). A 4/4 beat is not a rudiment. Spangalang is not a rudiment. Even for complex fills and solos, while it is possible to restrict yourself to just rudiments, in general a lot more goes into it than snapping rudiments together like legos.
Yes, but spang-a-lang is a part of the paradiddle diddle especially if played as triplet.

Last edited:
Back