I'm looking at getting a metal snare. Any recommendations?

graysonator

I've never owned a metal snare before, so I want something darker sounding than steel or aluminum in the <$500 range , i'm leaning towards the pork pie 14 x 6.5 patina brass snare, but I wanted to know if you guys have some better recommendations.

The patina brass is a good drum. I tested a bunch head-to-head and chose the Pork Pie BOB. It got the closest in tone to my fav which is the Black Beauty. For the money, it's a no-brainer.

Others that I like are the Pearl Sensitone and Tama SLP.

Good luck! (y)

Pork Pie makes great snares, can't go wrong there and I don't think anything in that price range could beat them.

Normally I would suggest Ludwig snares but they are quite steep in price for what you're looking for, unless you'd consider a Supraphonic.

I play only wood snares these days, but, like Jarvis above, I would recommend any metal snare from the Pearl Sensitone line. Excellent drums all around.

yeah the BOB snare does sound nice, I played one at my local guitar center. I'll just have a little bit of thinking to do.

If you can't try in person I'd advice you to go to something like Drum Center of Portsmouth's youtube page and listen to the same basic model in the typical metal choices. Then you'll know the basics differences between each material.

Differences in design and from brand to brand will be as on any other drum.

I'm a Gretsch and die cast guy, so that's what my brass snares are, but I've got two hammered brass ones that have seen quite a lot of use.

You can try the DW brass. Either the nickel plated, or black nickel plated, are under $475 for the 6.5”. Id recommend the Pearl Sensitone Premium brass, but those are $600+ new. Might as well go Black Beauty at that point.

I've never owned a metal snare before, so I want something darker sounding than steel or aluminum in the <$500 range , i'm leaning towards the pork pie 14 x 6.5 patina brass snare, but I wanted to know if you guys have some better recommendations.

If dark is something you want - I'd definitely give bronze a listen. It's warm and rich for sure - nothing like steel or aluminum.

It's probably the most rich, warm, big sounding snare I own - fantastic drum.

Very nice
I have a Ludwig 6.5 hammer bronze
It is awesome but way more than 500 unfortunately

Man NouveauCliche... that might be exactly what I’m looking for.. Thank you! I’ll have to check that one out!

I have both a brass and bronze snare in that size, both are warmer than steel. Bronze is the warmer of the two.
If you want a warm snare that can go mid high as well as low tuning go with a brass, cranked they sound great as well and that’s where mine sits.
If you just want the middle and low freqs, the bronze is the way to go, low it keeps its focus and doesn’t mush up, think of these as great ballad snares. Just doesn’t sound to great in my opinion tuned high as a brass would.

Hey Graysonator. Used Slingerland COB 1970's to early 80's. Worldmax, black on brass is a nice sounding snare. Also look into Mapex snare line up. They make some nice snares.

See if you can find a used Mapex bronze.
I got mine at guitar center for $150 bucks.

Back