I knew it was gonna be a bad gig when...

When you pull up to a road along the river, the event organizers meet you with golf carts to transport the gear to the “stage” on the shore. On the way you have to wind your way through the tents of a homeless camp. The stage is a 5x6 plastic mat on the sand and the power is a home extension cord coming off a generator. When the sun goes down and there are no lights and you are playing in the dark. After the gig on the way back, the drunk golf cart driver crashes into a homeless tent.

Whenever I hear sound limiter.

If you own a venue and have had noise complaints don't book bands and tell clients you can't have bands.

When you show up to a bar/club/whatever as a modern rock band and there is nothing but country or some other completely contrasted genre played on the juke box/sound system during your entire setup and even on band breaks.

... her husband had a friend bring in a Harley and told him to burn some rubber--inside the restaurant.
That must be a thing? They do it at a Bike Night we gig at. Is that a Full Throttle Jesse James Dupree thing, I wonder?

When you show up to a "house party" gig and the guy who booked you points to the backyard and says, "that should be plenty of space for y'all to set up, right?" He expected us to set up in the grass with the nearest power source roughly 100 feet away and had specifically told us when we inquired that he had "stage and lights covered".

Last edited:
You guys already beat me to all the cringe-y stuff I was gonna say.
I'll just reiterate "benefit"

You know you're at a bad gig when....Band leader puts together a 5 piece specifically for this cancer benefit. We all load our gear into a van and drive 90 miles to a """"benefit"""", set up, play one song, then the organizer comes on stage and tells us to pack up because there's another band who came 300 miles to play. :cautious:

All of these are for real:

I knew it was going to be a bad gig when we showed up, and most of the crowd was in neo Nazi skinhead gear

I knew it was going be ba bad gig when I showed up and the best thing about the house set was that the bass drum was nailed to the floor

I knew it was going to be a bad gig when we showed up and the place was closed Like, closed down...after a 6 hour drive to southern Indiana in the middle of nowhere

I knew it was going to be a bad gig when the bartender told us that the water all over the flow was "due to the bathroom drains backing up"

I knew it was going to be a bad gig when the guy using my kit as backline greets me with: "uuuhhhh....whose kit am I using tonight? And I need soem sticks"

I knew it was going to be a bad gig when we showed up and the stage monitors "had been blown by the lead singers .38 the night before b/c he didn't like the sound.."

All of these are for real:

I knew it was going to be a bad gig when we showed up, and most of the crowd was in neo Nazi skinhead gear

I knew it was going be ba bad gig when I showed up and the best thing about the house set was that the bass drum was nailed to the floor

I knew it was going to be a bad gig when we showed up and the place was closed Like, closed down...after a 6 hour drive to southern Indiana in the middle of nowhere

I knew it was going to be a bad gig when the bartender told us that the water all over the flow was "due to the bathroom drains backing up"

I knew it was going to be a bad gig when the guy using my kit as backline greets me with: "uuuhhhh....whose kit am I using tonight? And I need soem sticks"

I knew it was going to be a bad gig when we showed up and the stage monitors "had been blown by the lead singers .38 the night before b/c he didn't like the sound.."

Southern Indiana? Buddy, I see your problem already 😂😂😂

Southern Indiana? Buddy, I see your problem already 😂😂😂

yeahh....that was an interesting "cultural immersion" for sure...but not much different than southern Ohio in many aspects

Holy crap you made me remember a gig from 25 years ago that I had forgotten!
Basically it's the same story you have 😆
My first tour ever at age 20 something and we drive from san francisco to Boulder Colorado only to find we weren't even booked at the club. They felt bad for us and gave us a cheese pizza and a pitcher of bud. gee whiz thanks :cautious:

Holy crap you made me remember a gig from 25 years ago that I had forgotten!
Basically it's the same story you have 😆
My first tour ever at age 20 something and we drive from san francisco to Boulder Colorado only to find we weren't even booked at the club. They felt bad for us and gave us a cheese pizza and a pitcher of bud. gee whiz thanks :cautious:

we had a gig like that, but whe we got there, we foud it was double booked. We foud by setting everything up for soudcheck; popped next door to get food while waiting for the sound guy, and coming back in to another band moving our stuff off of the stage and putting theirs on...we approach the owner and he says: "uhhhh sorry...I forgot. These guys are playing though, so you have to get your stuff out"

there was quite a bit of damage to the door way and starwell as we loaded out....

Back