I find the category "Ladies" to be quite insensitive. Can Drummerworld do a better job of giving female drummers the credit that they deserve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's mental masterbatory because it's a private page and the rules made by one person. So no matter anyones opinion or merits of any arguments it just doesn't matter. You can either stay or leave. It's like the DW list-everyone complains about every damn thing and don't appreciate what we have. This isn't FB-if it was the forum would be empty probably from comments of late ROFL-just kidding you folks.
Hey In a way this borders on "political" doesn't it-so taboo we can't talk about it. So all the reason to drop it? What next banning certain drum brands-I know it's going to be Pearl you sorry crazy Ostraconophobic lunatics. I know I shouldn't diss people with a fear of Pearls. But it's lunacy- Pearl makes great drums. And back to drums for the SAVE! I should get points for saving threads. This is a drum forum-we need to stay on point.

Last edited:
Maybe the forum members should drop all pronouns-so No I, He, She, etc. So the forum members go by moniker. "Getagrippa thinks this conversations is just getting crazy and blah, blah, blah, blah. " What do the forum members think? GetAgrippa is rolling around the floor laughing hysterically. Tears rolling down GetAgrippa's eyes and face-stop, stop, stop.
Well I'm ready for some popcorn-carry on my wayward son-there will be peace when you are done, blah, blah bah.

Last edited:
Despite the many strengths of this forum and community, it's clear after having been here a while that one demographic dominates the contributions.

Dylan's request might be taken as a suggestion to consider how we may not be as inclusive as we could be. Maybe it's not the word "Ladies" but the fact that there is a discrete category for them? Either way, there could be constructive conversation and the input of more than one female would be nice. But if the circle-jerking and explicit calls to leave are any indication, probably not.

Despite the many strengths of this forum and community, it's clear after having been here a while that one demographic dominates the contributions.

Dylan's request might be taken as a suggestion to consider how we may not be as inclusive as we could be. Maybe it's not the word "Ladies" but the fact that there is a discrete category for them? Either way, there could be constructive conversation and the input of more than one female would be nice. But if the circle-jerking and explicit calls to leave are any indication, probably not.
Agreed. With the deployment of the fb page there are going to be new members with new views so this is the new normal. Being older myself I'd prefer if the reactions here didn't make it so confusing about which generation is supposed to be the easily-triggered snowflakes. It's possible to scroll past something you don't agree with. Dude just asked a question you didn't like...he didn't take a dump on your couch.

Oy, I knew this thread was going to be a dumpster fire going in.

This is a very damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. A lot of people posting here are saying "It should be just DRUMMERS, no gender!" That's a seemingly noble view on the surface, but underneath is actually pretty harmful. See, it's easy to say that when you're a demographic that is by far the most represented. The reality, is that by saying that, you're absolving yourself of responsibility. "See, I did my part!" But then if all the drummers represented are men, you wouldn't bat an eye. And when you have a "good old Boys" club such as the music industry, it's hard for someone who is not a "good old boy" to break in. Anytime they try, they're met with the seemingly noble "no gender, only the best!" and it just keeps being men over and over again. That was a really shitty way of wording that.

So yes, until we have true gender parity in the music world, it is our responsibility to foster, to showcase, and to encourage those who are not our demographic. Yes, we need to feature the women. Show the world how awesome they can be. And we need to continue doing that. For a long time.

However, what is the proper term to use? This is what I mean by damned if you don't. I don't think any term is going to be accepted by everybody. "Ladies" carries a bit of baggage from old school chivalry days, which isn't necessarily good or bad, but some might see it as bad. "Female" can be seen as clinical, scientific, almost inhuman. Personally, I prefer "women."

But this is a pointless conjecture. Why the hell are a bunch of old men fighting over this? You know what would solve this? Let's ask the women how they want to be called as a group. Let them answer. Let their decision be the one to be respected. All our other opinions be damned.

I've determined that it's impossible not to offend someone, no matter what you do. The world is too complicated, and people are too intent on being offended.

I'm considering going proactive, and simply offending everyone on purpose, lol. Can't bring myself to do it. Yet.

Once you single a group of people under ANY heading it can become discriminatory to that group, no matter how respectful you try to categorize the singled out. You have categorized them. That's the discriminatory part, not what you call them.

Once you single a group of people under ANY heading it can become discriminatory to that group, no matter how respectful you try to categorize the singled out. You have categorized them. That's the discriminatory part, not what you call them.
And yet categorizing is what humans do. It's fundamental to decision making. I think the idea that categorizing is inherently discriminatory is incorrect.

"Hey ladies in the place I'm callin' out to ya"

Oy, I knew this thread was going to be a dumpster fire going in.

This is a very damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. A lot of people posting here are saying "It should be just DRUMMERS, no gender!" That's a seemingly noble view on the surface, but underneath is actually pretty harmful. See, it's easy to say that when you're a demographic that is by far the most represented. The reality, is that by saying that, you're absolving yourself of responsibility. "See, I did my part!" But then if all the drummers represented are men, you wouldn't bat an eye. And when you have a "good old Boys" club such as the music industry, it's hard for someone who is not a "good old boy" to break in. Anytime they try, they're met with the seemingly noble "no gender, only the best!" and it just keeps being men over and over again. That was a really shitty way of wording that.

So yes, until we have true gender parity in the music world, it is our responsibility to foster, to showcase, and to encourage those who are not our demographic. Yes, we need to feature the women. Show the world how awesome they can be. And we need to continue doing that. For a long time.

However, what is the proper term to use? This is what I mean by damned if you don't. I don't think any term is going to be accepted by everybody. "Ladies" carries a bit of baggage from old school chivalry days, which isn't necessarily good or bad, but some might see it as bad. "Female" can be seen as clinical, scientific, almost inhuman. Personally, I prefer "women."

But this is a pointless conjecture. Why the hell are a bunch of old men fighting over this? You know what would solve this? Let's ask the women how they want to be called as a group. Let them answer. Let their decision be the one to be respected. All our other opinions be damned.
That’s a great posit Seafroggy - I agree.

Still the site isn’t ours and we have no say -it isn’t a democracy. It’s kind of an exercise in futility. How many complaints of DW drummers list and all that effort might as well be a fart in the wind. I think things will change of their own accord.

Welcome to the First World. Home of P-85 grief and seam wrap strife. Give us time we'll come up with some new "problems."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back