I did not like the Evans 500 snare side... 300 is my go to!

SpazApproved

I thought I would try something new.. I put on an Evans Heavyweight batter head with 500 snare side and Equalizer snare wires.... after lots of tinkering I just couldn't like the the 500. It's to thick and heavy and at low playing had an unwanted raspy sound. So out with that and in with the go to 300 and I'm a happy camper! I also just because swapped out the wires to the Puresound 30 strand because, well, I love them! lol

Tried a 500 on my superphonic once.....BAD. Then an extra thin ludwig clear snare reso..nope. 300 hazy and I knew I had it right.

Tried a 500 on my superphonic once.....BAD. Then an extra thin ludwig clear snare reso..nope. 300 hazy and I knew I had it right.
The Ludwig X-thin is the same thickness as the 300 if I recall correctly. Interesting if there was a noticeable difference in sound

The Ludwig X-thin is the same thickness as the 300 if I recall correctly. Interesting if there was a noticeable difference in sound
The extra thin clear Ludwig seemed almost onion paperish with the metal hoop. The 300 hazy sounded fuller (noticeably) of course I inherited bat ears that hears grass growing at night 😲. Been a 300 guy ever since 😃. The 300 hazy softened the wire snap vs the tad sharper clear. If it is in fact a 300 maybe the hoop (metal) and clear had some influence that made my bat ears point up. Was it a ludwig rocker? as I recall?.

Sounds way better with the 300 snare side and 30 strand snare wires, old setup sounded kinda boxy to me. Still, there's value in trying new things, now at least you know it's not for you.

Long time ago I had a Pearl Brass free floating 14x6,5. I liked the sound but didn’t like de sensitivity of the snare. I needed to bash the drum to get it sound good. The sound at low volume was meh, i thought it came from the FF built. I didn’t know at that time, I bought it with an Evan’s 500 and I’m sure, if I knew better then, I would have swap the heads, I’d appreciate more this drum.
Who is using a thick snare head ?

Last edited:
The material could be a bit different. On my Trowa, the Ludwig reso sounds a bit less trebly and more boxy. The Remo doesn't really fit, as it has a Stick Saver style hoop, and the Remo can't be tuned high enough before the flange reaches the bearing edge.

I bought an Evans 500 just to try it and didn't like it for the reasons previously posted. Like Tamaefx above I'd be interested in what situations someone is using them .

Ya, I think thicker snare heads than 300 sound tubby and cheap. I don’t enjoy them at all. No offense to them who like them but I hate their taste in heads ;)

IME snare side head thickness can make or break a drum. When I first got my Amati brass snare, it came with a thick snare side head, and sounded as if it hadn't got snare beds! It's a vintage Eastern European drum so I expect quirks, and it really has minimal, invisible snare beds that nonetheless work. A quick change of the bottom head to a Hazy Amb made it my #1 snare drum of all time.

Different films do, in fact, sound different!

As a side note, I noticed that the OP is mounting wires with those cheap plastic strips- avoid these at all costs and go with string. This polyester film strip method of tensioning puts tension on the wires rather than pulling the wires tighter against the snare side head. This can cause all sorts of headache (no pun intended) when trying to get a sound that you're happy with. It also limits the usable tension range of the wires. I wish snare wire companies would stop selling wires with these and, instead, include appropriate string.

This is the stuff I use: https://www.daddario.com/products/p...ound-dark-brown-braided-line-50ft-spool-3763/

I have used the Evans 300 snare side on so many snares for so many years that I lost count. I never tried the 500 and I don't really have interest in doing so. Conversely, I lately have been considering trying the 200 but I'm worried it may be too thin and papery sounding. I think I'll probably just stick with the 300. Don't fix what's not broken and all that.

As a side note, I noticed that the OP is mounting wires with those cheap plastic strips- avoid these at all costs and go with string. This polyester film strip method of tensioning puts tension on the wires rather than pulling the wires tighter against the snare side head. This can cause all sorts of headache (no pun intended) when trying to get a sound that you're happy with. It also limits the usable tension range of the wires. I wish snare wire companies would stop selling wires with these and, instead, include appropriate string.

This is the stuff I use: https://www.daddario.com/products/p...ound-dark-brown-braided-line-50ft-spool-3763/
Woah, 50ft!? I wish daddario would make a much shorter length or a pack of precut strips. Any suggested alternative products that could achieve the same result?

Woah, 50ft!? I wish daddario would make a much shorter length or a pack of precut strips. Any suggested alternative products that could achieve the same result?
They do...it's another option on that page; pre-cut 4pc packs. I work with a lot of drums and change snare wires pretty regularly so the 50ft spool was a no-brainer.

Both methods work fine in my experience

Couldn’t agree more

Definitely a game changer... no more plastic straps. Plain old 5/8" Grosgrain ribbon can also work.
Again, and this depends on the wire design, pulling certain wires like this will tension the wires themselves more than applying tension of the wires against the head,. This issue can be less present depending on the break angle of the snare throw, snare wire end plate design, and snare bed but it can easily mitigated with string.

Either way, I strongly advise against the use polyester film to mount snare wires- it has memory, it stretches, and generally isn't a great way to go.

Back