How many pedals have you owned?

Reggae_Mangle

Silver Member
In my case, four so far: A Pearl Eliminator, a Trick Dominator, a Mapex Falcon and a Trick Bigfoot.

What about you guys? I'm honestly feeling a bit foolish to have tried so many, and I have my fifth pedal inbound.

This is all in the course of about 10 years playing, so a very expensive kink in my head that I hope to work out sooner rather than later.

After all, it's the player, not the pedal!

I currently have 46 pedals, and have owned probably 20 more. Ludwig, Trick, Yamaha, Sonor, DW, Camco, Taye, Premier, Pearl, Tama, Rogers and I may be forgetting a few, and I also have some lesser-known pedals from RKM, XL Specialty, Calato, Drumnetics and just for fun, the horrible Catapult from Gibraltar!

After all, it's the player, not the pedal!

Yes and no. A pedal that feels good (very subjective of course) makes playing effortless, and a pedal with different angles and ratios may require more effort to adjust and can hamper the foot's ability to do everything it's capable of (Gibraltar's Catapult is a perfect example of a pedal that doesn't work well with the foot.) Not every pedal can be adjusted to every drummer's desired feel. That's why many drummer's keep seeking them, and manufacturers keep trying to improve them.

Bermuda

Last edited:
1. First pedal that came with my Yamaha Power Road kit. Got the job done but not a great pedal in hindsight.
2. Yamaha 820 double chain model: This was the first pedal I bought for myself. Lightweight and smooth. Also, no base plate, so folds up tight and works on less than perfectly even surfaces.
3. Axis A Single Pedal: Smooth as butter, lightening fast, direct drive. Sounds great with that plastic beater. Sadly, I loaned this one out and it was broken and had some missing parts when I got it back.*
4. Pearl Power Shifter Double Bass pedal: Played the slave as a single pedal and then attached that to the master unit for my first double bass experience. I have cleaned it up recently and tweaked it to feel pretty smooth and I now use this at church.
5. Yamaha Flying Dragon, Double Chain Single Pedal: Smooth and quiet. Took a while for me to get the angles just right because it does have separate beater and foot board angle adjustments, and I also swapped out the beater for a heavier DW. Still had lighter action than a DW pedal. This is my main single pedal on my practice kit now.
6. DW 9002 Double Chain Model: Great pedal that has been my go to since 2005. Heavier feel than the Yamaha or Axis pedals but very smooth and quiet and gives a solid feel underfoot for the Earth-shattering kabooms. The single right-side support post on the slave pedal makes it nest perfectly against hi-hat pedals so there is no wasted space and no extra distance to cover.
7. Yamaha 9500C Single Pedal: I recently found a used Yamaha 1200 HH stand and bought this pedal so I'd have a matching set. Very similar adjustments to the Flying Dragon model but this one feels even lighter and faster to me. I also like the stock beater better on this model. It comes with Yamaha's 2-sided beater which is much lighter than the default DW 2-sided beater and still has a nice sound.

* After all that, my old drum teacher doesn't play anymore and was giving some of his old equipment away to former students and schools in the area. He was the first person that turned me on to Axis pedals back in the early 90's and he had a custom made Axis that was an Axis A, with all of the adjustments, but with a wide foot board like the Axis X. Since I remembered his pedal and mentioned that mine had been abused and met an untimely end, he held that back and gave it to me. I thought that was pretty cool. I spent some time over the weekend cleaning and tweaking it and it is just as fast and smooth as I remember my old Axis. A very nice gesture on his part and I'm honored to have his pedal in my collection. I'm not in the market for pedals right now.

Started with\used to play-

Ludwig Standard (direct drive, circa 1977)
Rogers Swivo-matic (60s with the adj. footboard)
Pearl (strap drive, late 70s? Looked similar to the Rogers)
Camco (made by Tama, 1981)

Still using-

Tama Iron Cobra (chain and strap-"Flexi Glide". Late 90s)
Tama Iron Cobra Jr.
Tama "Camcos " (basically a Camco with a Tama footboard)

All single pedals btw.

I have tried and rejected the Ludwig Speedking and the Ghost pedals lol. But I can get by in any pedal that is not sprung too tight. Tight springs totally throwoff my technique.

My first pedal was a; Pearl P-100 Chain Drive, then I switched over to the DW 3000 pedal.

Up into recently, I got myself a Tama Iron Cobra 2nd Gen. I then purchased the 1st Gen. because I heard people actually like the way it was designed.
I had a double bass IC 1st gen. pedal that I was going to restore as a side project I was hoping to do, but never turned out the way I wanted it.

So all in all:

Pearl P-100 Chain Drive Kick Pedal (Don't have)
DW 3000 Kick Pedal (Don't have)
Tama Iron Cobra 2nd Gen. (Still Have)
Tama Iron Cobra 1st Gen. (Still have) Have a single and a double; < which doesn't function

I plan to get the Ludwig Speed King someday, even though it's known for being a notorious Squeaker. They should of just named it "The Squeak King" lol

Started playing in 2009 and got a DW 5002

Got a DW 9002 in 2016.

Use the 5000 mostly on my practice kit.

Got the matching HH stands for both.

I guess the longer I play the more comfortable I am with any pedal. I play all sorts of pedals at work, any common model of the major brands.

Six single pedals total:
Stewart (60's)
Yamaha (80's)
DW 9000 (90's)
DW 7000 (2011)
DW 5000 Strap (2014)
I just got a new generation DW 5000 as a back up pedal (2019)

I bought a series of pedals when I first started, looking for "the one".

Gibraltar - ??? (something cheap)
Iron cobra powerglide (also bought Rolling Glide cams separately)
Speed Cobra (then sold it)
Trick Bigfoot (sold it after a few weeks)
Speed cobra again (soon sold it)
Axis A longboard (still new, stored away)
Axis A21
Speed Cobra for the third time (I couldn't resist the new version with all the upgrades)

For the last 3 years I've played only the Axis A21 and Speed Cobra.

Last edited:
I can't list them all - I don't remember all of them!

I just remember backing off when I realized I made both the $300+ Pearl Demon and Trick Pro-1V pedals feel exactly like my old strap-drive Camco from the 70s. And I've been doing that to every pedal for as long as I've been playing. So I'll just settle down with my DW5000 and stay there.

Damn! Y’all buy pedals! And they ain’t cheap.

Ludwig Speed King c.1967
DW5000 c.1994
Tama IC Flexi drive c.1998
Tama IC Rolling glide c.2005

Axis AL-2, Axis A21, Pearl Demon drives, DW9000, DW5000, Tama Iron Cobras, Tama Speed cobras, Ludwig Speedking, and about 10 other singles. haha

still own 3 double pedals, and 4 singles. I have spent a ton on pedals but I do enjoy an effortless pedal.

Last edited:
Ludwig Speedking, 2 of them
Tama Kingbeat
Camco Chain
Tama Iron Cobra jr, double
Tama Iron Cobra
Gibraltar "Beanstalk"
Gibraltar direct drive, one single/one double
Rogers swiv-o-matic, one solid/ two w/heelplates

1991, came with my used Pearl Export. Crap.
isbimnu.png

New, 1994-ish
TbLxPtQ.png

2002-ish, the day of a gig the DW Delta hinge broke on my primary pedal. (This was the 2nd time I had broken a Delta Hinge, the first was on my DW 5000 2-leg hi-hat pedal, no kidding) The aluminum just snapped. They were like $45 to replace. Gen 1 Delta Hinges were crap.
pUtrDQx.png

Bought an Iron Cobra (2nd gen) on the way to the gig. Still works great to this day.
lysEXl5.png

2009, bought a used DW 9002 Double pedal at GC for $350. Still works great.
grKgnfs.png

2019, bought a Tama Speed Cobra 310 for $100. It's my go-to pedal now, feels better than the DW 9002. Best feeling pedal I've ever owned!
PNVDmyM.png

I currently have 46 pedals, and have owned probably 20 more. Ludwig, Trick, Yamaha, Sonor, DW, Camco, Taye, Premier, Pearl, Tama, Rogers and I may be forgetting a few, and I also have some lesser-known pedals from RKM, XL Specialty, Calato, Drumnetics and just for fun, the horrible Catapult from Gibraltar!

Yes and no. A pedal that feels good (very subjective of course) makes playing effortless, and a pedal with different angles and ratios may require more effort to adjust and can hamper the foot's ability to do everything it's capable of (Gibraltar's Catapult is a perfect example of a pedal that doesn't work well with the foot.) Not every pedal can be adjusted to every drummer's desired feel. That's why many drummer's keep seeking them, and manufacturers keep trying to improve them.

Bermuda

46!!!

I always seem to find some reason to "upgrade" my pedals. Perhaps the perceived shortcomings are just nitpicking, but I'm still looking for that perfect pedal for me.

One of the things I did to my Trick to try and modify the feel to my taste was swapping the right longboard for a shortboard. Definitely made an improvement, but having one board long and the other short brings about other complications. So I started searching again.

If there is one pedal I wish I had spent more time on, it was the Mapex Falcon. But that one could not be clamped to my e-drumkit kick drum, which made it impossible to use. Real frustrating, probably the fault of the kick drum design rather than the pedal, but sadly, I could not use it as a result.

A total of four

The pedal that came with my pearl export as my first kit. Still works well and served me great.

A vintage pedal that came with the 1960’s Premier I own. Never used it.

DW5000 Single Pedal

DW5002 Double Pedal

Don’t think I’ll ever buy another pedal outside of the DW5000 series. Great workhorse pedals, the feel of which I love.

Last edited:
not many I have owned and I'm not particulairly happy about my choices.
- Basix double kick
- Speed cobra singles
- Speed cobra double kick
- Pearl Eliminator

To be honest I'm in love with the smoothness of the DW9000, it really makes you feel you play without any friction at all.

Rogers Swivo-Matic. Never got used to it, but I was a bonehead back then...okay no comments....I can still be a bonehead!
Camco -Tama. Don’t ever remember having any issues with it
Yamaha single chain, double. Loved the master, hated the slave
Axis X short. Loved this pedal, but kept thinking I needed the A
Axis A long, double. Nothing like what I’d dreamt up in my head. Ended up hating it. Just couldn’t get any power and was always fighting it.
DW9002. Way better than the Axis A for me, but still couldn’t get along with it
Old DW5000 single chain. Great pedal, but wouldn’t open wide enough to fit my Gretsch hoops.
New DW500 double chain. Nothing like the old one. Just clunky and slow feeling by comparison.
Yamaha 9500C. Excellent pedal, but thought I wanted a double
Yamaha 9500D double. Couldn’t really tell the difference between the chain and direct drive. Ended up being a great pedal for the practice pad set after I got the...
Mapex Falcon single. Heaven, pure and simple! Got the pedal. Attached it to the BD and forgot it was there.

I would guess 20+ over the years. You name it and I have probably had it in my setup at some point. I would usually keep 1 single and 1 double pedal, buying and selling always looking for the holy grail. Much like Matt I found that I was trying to make every pedal feel like my old DW 5000, so in the last couple years I found a great 5000 and have just stuck with that. I don't need a double anymore so I am down to two DW 5000 singles one on the gig kit and one on the practice kit.

After 43 years.. No clue of all of them.

Ones that come to mind...

Ludwig Ghost
Ludwig Speedking
Pearl (something or other)
Tama Camo Chain
Yamaha (something or other - old and new)
Gretsch Floating Action (one of my ultimate favs)
DW5000 (old version - chain and strap)
Been using Yamaha-FP8500B (strap) for the last 8 years (at least).

To me, pedals have become too expensive and over engineered for my budget and taste. I won't shell out much more than $100. for one.

Had quite a few in my time. A lot of crappy ones like the duallist which seemed like a good idea at the time, like the perfect balance pedal which decided to start folding up on itself.

Holy grails are the x2 DW5000 strap drives. Ludwig Speed King is a great pedal too. I have an old Camco at home too

Back