How Do You Store Unused Cymbals?

Joseph needs to turn carpenter and build hisself anutter cymbal shelf! :ROFLMAO:
You don't know what's in Joseph's mind (nice try tho)
the ones are the floor are the "fast moving parts"
One's on the shelf are s-l-o-w moving parts.
Once they go on the shelf their status changes to Semi-active

😁

Last edited:
I have a few larger ride cymbals in two cymbal bags stored upright. Otherwise whatever else isn't being currently used on my kit--around 16 cymbals--are stored on two wall units I built. Fortunately I had enough scrap lumber, stain and paint to do a zero cost build.

CymbalMount2.jpg

CymbalMount3.jpg

CymbalMount1.jpg

DrumStudio1LoRes copy.jpeg

Last edited:
This little cart is handy if you don't have a hundred cymbals lol.

That's pretty cool.
The downside of some cool but more limited storage solutions - and that also goes for the drum rack I built - is over time you usually accumulate more and more and have to start stacking gear elsewhere again.
A luxury problem though, of course :p

I used to store my unused cymbals in several SKB Roto-X cases, but it was too fussy when looking for one specific cymbal. When the local drum shop closed down, the owner gifted me an old Paiste cymbal rack. It's perfect for my mood cymbal changes.

IMG_6996.jpg

* I have a dozen more pies since this pic was taken.

Thanks man! Well, that was a picture when I just built it, around 9 years ago, this is a current pic:

View attachment 144619
Time to build another one :p

I like your rack idea, especially the angled base. Just yesterday, I added on to my existing drum shelf, making it a couple feet taller. Mine is a standard shelf configuration. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to efficiently store bass drums. I have three bass drums I'm not using and I just stack them in cases. I lay a sheet of plywood between them just to distribute the weight better on the rims rather than the heads.

As for cymbals, I've always stored them in soft cases and leaned them up against the wall. Using your idea, I guess I could build a similar rack just for cymbals that could incorporate your angled base while still accommodating cymbal bags. Hmmm....

I like your rack idea, especially the angled base. Just yesterday, I added on to my existing drum shelf, making it a couple feet taller. Mine is a standard shelf configuration. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to efficiently store bass drums. I have three bass drums I'm not using and I just stack them in cases. I lay a sheet of plywood between them just to distribute the weight better on the rims rather than the heads.

As for cymbals, I've always stored them in soft cases and leaned them up against the wall. Using your idea, I guess I could build a similar rack just for cymbals that could incorporate your angled base while still accommodating cymbal bags. Hmmm....
Well, I can't take credit for the angled boards as someone else built a similar rack and I 'borrowed' the idea.
It works great though. The only problem is over time it fills itself - for some bizar reason - and you have to build another one ;)

Since you have so many cymbals, do you mark them on the underside in any way to identify or categorize them? E.g.: used these hats on album XX.

Each cymbal has a 2- or 3-letter code under the bell, and I do keep track of which cymbals (and drums & percussion) were used on which tracks. :)

AGF1.jpg

I store my cymbals in a wooden box and/or in hard cases ready to go.

Attachments

• 25163F17-410F-4F24-B0B3-F8CA90C2DB9F.jpeg
    25163F17-410F-4F24-B0B3-F8CA90C2DB9F.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 12942F4A-3CBD-44BB-8659-B5B51BBF7E1C.jpeg
    12942F4A-3CBD-44BB-8659-B5B51BBF7E1C.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 11
Back