How do you clean your hardware?

The brilliant ones, yes.

Ah hah! And aren't they brilliant because you keep cleaning them? So, you clean your cymbals but not your drums?

One more question. If you use aluminum foil, can you damage the shell wrap if you don't remove the lugs from the shell? I'm guessing the wrap can get scratched from the foil.

One more question. If you use aluminum foil, can you damage the shell wrap if you don't remove the lugs from the shell? I'm guessing the wrap can get scratched from the foil.
Good question. Yes, it scratches the wrap easy. Like sandpaper easy. I just tried on a junk tom. Dont do it! Remove the lugs first.

I never bother cleaning my hardware, but when I worked in a drum shop for a summer we pretty much always used one of two things:
*For a general tidying/polish we just used good old Windex.
*If it was really dirty, had some rust spots, etc. we used this stuff called Zud. It was a powder that turned into a bit of a paste when wet. It was ever so slightly abrasive, but somehow it didn't leave scratches or marks.

This thread plus the need to replace my cracked bass drum head motivated me. I got a full set of new heads. After using the same Evans Hydraulics for 40 years I put clear Remo Pinstripes on all my toms and bass drum. I have clear Ambassador resonant heads on my two floors and clear Diplomat resonant heads on my two mounted toms. But since I was taking them apart I took the tube of Blue Magic metal polish and a rag and took the time to polish all the hardware on my drums. So, rims, lugs, lug screws, muffler knobs, floor tom leg mounts and double tom mount. I cleaned the wrap just using a damp rag. Now my drums sparkle, look fantastic and they sound better than they ever have. Those old Evans were dead sounding. Now I have a ton of tone and added stick rebound. I also pared things down just a little. I had been using a 10" roto tom as the high tom in a 7 piece set up. I decided not to continue using the roto and am now just going with the 6 piece set up. Loving my kit again. Before I go up to bed I now stand and stare at my drums, walking around to get different views from different vantage points. Sometimes I even talk to them. Yep, I know. I am royally screwed up.

Foil has made tiny scratches on my lugs. I only use it on rims.
I've used chrome polish and a lot of work to get in the cracks, and I've also put them in the dishwasher with regular dishwasher detergent. They came out clean-clean. I used a shotgun mop with oil to coat the inside against rust and wiped the outside down with regular car sealant.
When I was younger I had corrosive sweat and all chrome would die from my touch.

Back