High Hat ID Help please?

wraub

Gold Member
I picked up a set of 13" high hats with no marks, ink, or stamps that I can see, I'm hoping someone here can help. :)

Pics-
20210302-193406.jpg
20210302-193423.jpg

The lighter one is 550 grams, the heavier one is 600 grams.
Opinions?

Thanks. :)

These are obviously Turkish in design and fabrication. Most likely from 1978-79 era when that was in fashion. Or I could be completely off the mark.

If they dont have a stamp, my guess is something cheap. The lathing makes me think this also. Without any info other than pics, all I'm doing is harboring a guess.

If they dont have a stamp, my guess is something cheap. The lathing makes me think this also. Without any info other than pics, all I'm doing is harboring a guess.

I agree with this. The lathing, weight and lack of a stamp screams cheap. How do they sound?

They sound washy and old-school, like the hats on older jazz and classic rock records. Searching youtube the closest sounding 13" hats were similarly weighted 50s Zildjians. I know these definitely aren't that, but I didn't expect them to be. ;)
I kinda figured they weren't anything special, but they were $20 so I took a chance, and I think they sound pretty okay. Definitely a useful sound.

Last edited:
Sometimes with a stampless cymbal, if you hold it to the light just right you can see where the ink used to be.

I tried that, using a variety of light sources, and found nothing telling.
I've been playing on them a bit today, I'm definitely not disappointed.

Sometimes with a stampless cymbal, if you hold it to the light just right you can see where the ink used to be.

I tried that, using a variety of light sources, and found nothing telling.
I've been playing on them a bit today, I'm definitely not disappointed.
As long as you like them, that's all that matters. I dont like 13s for the size as a main hat. It's too far away it feels like. Sound wise I have no beef. They would be fine as auxiliary hats for me.

As long as you like them, that's all that matters. I dont like 13s for the size as a main hat. It's too far away it feels like. Sound wise I have no beef. They would be fine as auxiliary hats for me.

But how could he possibly enjoy the cymbal without a brand to tie it to?

It's not possible :p

Back