Has Anyone Installed the DW Tom Mount Themselves?

DrummerCA35

Hello,

Recently bought a DW Performance kit. 2 up, one down. Virgin kick. Snare.

I've really tried to like the offset tom thing (two toms and a cymbal on a Gibraltar stand) but I'm not totally happy with this. Yet. The usual reasons I've read on here.

I'm contemplating buying the DW double tom mount that installs on the bass drum. I've been playing my drums this way for about 35 years. Maybe it's just ingrained in me. Having a crash cymbal on the same stand as my toms is a compromise for me. Have to reach further for the crash and/or get it higher up. Also, the crash when lower gets in the way of the toms unless placed much higher than I'm used to. For me, anyway. Fills don't start where I'm used to starting them. Hi-hat further to the left. More room taken up on stage. Plus...I flat-out prefer the LOOK of the toms on the bass drum more. I use the 10" tom a lot more than I use a ride cymbal, so that advantage is moot in having the ride go where the 12" would go.

The price for the double tom mount is pretty reasonable too. Have any of you installed this yourselves, or, have you taken it to drum shops to do it? If so, what did the charge?

This is what I'm looking at:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...=b&network=g&gclid=COuBtNeFjtMCFcRhfgodsTYP7w

Also, I know most people probably prefer a virgin kick these days. For me, it's moot, I've played my PDP kit since 2009, and anticipate that my DWs will last me well into the next 10 years. So lowering the value because of the tom mount isn't really a factor for me.

PS - does anyone actually USE that extra clamp that's on that mount???

Thanks

I can't imagine it being all that tough. It may come with a template, if not, I'm sure you can get specs from DW Customer Support. I drilled my PDP 14" floating floor tom for legs, when hanging it off stands got old. The scariest part was getting the measurements right. I drilled partially from the backside, then drilled from the topside to avoid splintering. Turned out super nice. Actually way nicer than the factory holes.

i remember Bo drilling his virgin bass a while back and others have done it. It seems the most pain is received from others posting how could you, then the actual process itself. Resale value will likely drop with the mod, but if that doesn't bother you, then no biggie. Larry had a super nice tom tree solution for his Gurus that left no holes. He used a Mapex setup which is top notch too and slides back and forth much like the DW mount you posted.

Not sure the value will that much lower, with the tom arm, since it's a genuine DW part. Of course it needs to be well made.
It's totally understandable to be willing to keep habits, and keep toms on the BD. And in some cases (it's my case) it sounds better with the communication between the toms and BD.
I'm curious about the content of the box and the user manual. I guess it could be stressing to start drilling a brand new DW Bass drum.

Using one single stand for both of the toms and a cymbal sounds insane. I wouldnt imagine the hardware lasting too long that way. The weight distrubution would have to be equal on each leg of the tripod and it is a lot of weight.

I have two cymbal stands with one L arm clamp on each side + cymbal. Refer to this image of my kit

Edit: i re read ur OP and realized it came with an offset tom configuration... my bad. Not sure i like that either... i like it set up like how i set mine up

Attachments

• 20170331_153259-737x966.jpg
    20170331_153259-737x966.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,125
I haven't done that one but did a Gibrltar one on my Gretsch bass drum. Mine had one post hole to drill just over inch, and two bolt holes. Measure measure measure....find the location for the piece. I covered the area with masking tape inside and out. Drew mine lines on the outside, on the tape, then drilled with the tape on to prevent inside ply from splitting out. Removed the tape, put on the rubber gasket, tighten down the bolts and presto finished. I can't see by the ad how the mount attaches, but be slow and measure measure measure, photos are of the inside obviously.

Attachments

• IMG_4118.JPG
    IMG_4118.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,026
  • IMG_4119.JPG
    IMG_4119.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,021
I installed the same dw track mount for a bass drum lift that dw makes. The track is super sturdy and the slide-in mount stays locked where you set it. You won't have any issues with it for mounting toms.

Not sure the value will that much lower, with the tom arm, since it's a genuine DW part.
You are correct and I was referring to the fact that most are looking for virgin kicks these days. They seem to sit around longer when I see them on sites like GC.

Hello,

Recently bought a DW Performance kit. 2 up, one down. Virgin kick. Snare.

I've really tried to like the offset tom thing (two toms and a cymbal on a Gibraltar stand) but I'm not totally happy with this. Yet. The usual reasons I've read on here.

I'm contemplating buying the DW double tom mount that installs on the bass drum. I've been playing my drums this way for about 35 years. Maybe it's just ingrained in me. Having a crash cymbal on the same stand as my toms is a compromise for me. Have to reach further for the crash and/or get it higher up. Also, the crash when lower gets in the way of the toms unless placed much higher than I'm used to. For me, anyway. Fills don't start where I'm used to starting them. Hi-hat further to the left. More room taken up on stage. Plus...I flat-out prefer the LOOK of the toms on the bass drum more. I use the 10" tom a lot more than I use a ride cymbal, so that advantage is moot in having the ride go where the 12" would go.

The price for the double tom mount is pretty reasonable too. Have any of you installed this yourselves, or, have you taken it to drum shops to do it? If so, what did the charge?

This is what I'm looking at:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...=b&network=g&gclid=COuBtNeFjtMCFcRhfgodsTYP7w

Also, I know most people probably prefer a virgin kick these days. For me, it's moot, I've played my PDP kit since 2009, and anticipate that my DWs will last me well into the next 10 years. So lowering the value because of the tom mount isn't really a factor for me.

PS - does anyone actually USE that extra clamp that's on that mount???

Thanks

Do not think this is going to be a walk in the park install, it ain't. I have plenty of experience with these. First off its 'where' on your kick, my advice is to error on the inside (toms closer to you) if you're a taller drummer, and opposite if you're a shorter drummer.

Your second hurdle (and a big one) is the threaded holes on the bottom off the bass drum plate are tapped at an angle to conform to the curvature of the shell, not an easy install like a smaller, flat plate that uses bigger fasteners. Beware, you'll need to calculate and drill angled holes if you plan on using a 'close to proper' drill bit size (ultimate) and we're talking small, I forgot to note, but somewhere around 4-5 mm (DW can tell you), which in tiny when you're talking bass drum plates, there's 4 holes, to fwd and two rear and I've never got the rubber gaskets to fit with the fasteners DW supplies.

Last edited:
I've installed one on a 22" Collectors series, and one on a 20" Gretsch New Classics bass. I have a 20" Collectors series bass that came with the mount installed by DW. I used it as a guide to decide where to install it on each drum. The only problem was that I needed to get longer screws than those provided to install it on the Gretsch bass. They are not as universally adjustable as some mounts, especially for tom hight, but It's been a couple of years and I'm pretty much liking them.

By the way - I'm not a wood worker, or particularly mechanically inclined.

Using one single stand for both of the toms and a cymbal sounds insane. I wouldnt imagine the hardware lasting too long that way. The weight distrubution would have to be equal on each leg of the tripod and it is a lot of weight.

I have two cymbal stands with one L arm clamp on each side + cymbal. Refer to this image of my kit

Edit: i re read ur OP and realized it came with an offset tom configuration... my bad. Not sure i like that either... i like it set up like how i set mine up

What a beautiful set of drums you have there.

If I were to do that, I would ask any local carpenter, I would be too afraid to miss the drilling. The carpenter will have the right tools and won't budge. I guess he would not ask a lot of € or $ for four or five holes.

Last edited:
I got this from the DW website if it will help you plan.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 20.52.47.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 20.52.47.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 959
Reactions: luc
I installed the same dw track mount for a bass drum lift that dw makes. The track is super sturdy and the slide-in mount stays locked where you set it. You won't have any issues with it for mounting toms.

Hey bob,
I am looking at the DW Bass Drum Double Tom Mount too but cant find information on the height adjustment. Can you tell me?
Thanks,Bill

The tom tree itself doesn't go that high. It goes just high enough with nothing to spare. You slide the tom up the L arm to get more height if the tubes don't go high enough for you. It will work. I had a 12 x 10 on it no problem.

I would not worry about resale value.

All or almost all yamaha drums come with a bd mount and thay sell used like hotcakes.

Virgin kicks are so 2010 ;-)

Take it over to Gelb in San Mateo.

Al Schneider has done quite a few of those installs.

FYI that's a Corder slide mount from the 1980's rebranded as a DW.

Thanks again for all the posts. I just can't stand playing the offset toms anymore. I've played two different kits while rehearsing in two different studios that had toms mounted on the bass drum, and it was so much more comfortable for me. Nor do I want to deal with mounting toms on two heavy duty cymbal stands with memory locks to get them over the bass drum. I understand some people mount their toms on lightweight stands, but I tried that and it ain't for me. I hate having to deal with cymbal placement with the double tom/cymbal stand. Everything just turns out to be a compromise. I'd rather mount the toms on the bass drum, and then use my lightweight, single-braced cymbal stands and get things where I want them without compromise. Each to their own, I guess.

So, I ordered the DW double tom mount. When I get it I will see how feasible it is to do it myself, or as some suggested here, have someone else do it.

Thanks again.

In the end, I got sent the wrong part, and never did install the DW tom mount. However, I did get 2 straight cymbal stands and have mounted the toms to them, and it seems to work out OK. Took some getting used to, and some work in the placement, but it finally seems to work ok.

Attachments

• aarondw.jpg
    aarondw.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 901
I'm a big tom tree fan. I even think it looks better with a tom tree than without.

My new little bop Guru kit, I fly only one tom off a stand, and even that's a PITA for me. I am going to the solution I used for my regular sized Guru kit, the Mapex tom tree solution. I ordered one sized for my 20" bass drum.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mapex-Orion...224566?hash=item1c75e80676:g:JcMAAOSwj85YM5FT

In case you are unfamiliar with the mapex tom tree thing, you remove the top 4 lugs of your kit and replace them with the combination lugs/sliding double tom tree mount. Then you put the tom tree into it, a single or a double. It was an absolute perfect solution, because I had no drilling, and I can reconvert my Guru bass drum to virgin again with basic hand tools. I did need spacers for the tension rods, mine were a tad too long for the Mapex lug. Easy fix

The only rub is...I had to get the 2 rails shortened by a welder. Mapex's rails are sized for an 18" deep bass drum, mine is 16" deep. I calculated exactly how much rail I needed removed, and handed it off to my local welder. He charged me 60 bucks. Money well spent. I will be doing the same on my 20" bass drum.

But you seem to have things well in hand.

Back