Has Anyone Installed the DW Tom Mount Themselves?

I'm a big tom tree fan. I even think it looks better with a tom tree than without.

My new little bop Guru kit, I fly only one tom off a stand, and even that's a PITA for me. I am going to the solution I used for my regular sized Guru kit, the Mapex tom tree solution. I ordered one sized for my 20" bass drum.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mapex-Orion...224566?hash=item1c75e80676:g:JcMAAOSwj85YM5FT

In case you are unfamiliar with the mapex tom tree thing, you remove the top 4 lugs of your kit and replace them with the combination lugs/sliding double tom tree mount. Then you put the tom tree into it, a single or a double. It was an absolute perfect solution, because I had no drilling, and I can reconvert my Guru bass drum to virgin again with basic hand tools. I did need spacers for the tension rods, mine were a tad too long for the Mapex lug. Easy fix

The only rub is...I had to get the 2 rails shortened by a welder. Mapex's rails are sized for an 18" deep bass drum, mine is 16" deep. I calculated exactly how much rail I needed removed, and handed it off to my local welder. He charged me 60 bucks. Money well spent. I will be doing the same on my 20" bass drum.

But you seem to have things well in hand.

That tom tree is super cool. I think I've seen something similar with Ludwig Atlas hardware....getting two toms on the bass drum without drilling. It looked super cool and I saw it on ebay a while ago. And I also prefer the LOOK of the toms mounted on the bass drum. But I've gotten really OCD about this. I don't like how the sliding plate thing looks for the DW version. Nor do I like how the auxiliary clamp looks on the tom mount. Who wants to look at a long bolt sticking out on the front of your kit? Those things were turning me off. Also, the threads about not getting the toms low enough were of concern. And then there was the drilling....I didn't want to do it myself, and there are shops here that could likely do it but I didn't get around to it.

Yes, the tom on a stand thing is a PITA...where do the legs go? Tuck into the space between the drum and spurs? Outside? Etc? But again, I don't like the look of the sliding tom track or the auxiliary clamp on the stand. It's a compromise. I know this may sound ridiculous on my part...these details....

Back