Happy anniversary to Pearl

What do they call that dark hardware? Tama uses the term “black nickel”. That Pearl hardware has a warmer tint to it.

This purple kit had me drooling. @C.M. Jones you want to educate me on this beauty?
View attachment 116995
A beauty for sure. I've no idea what the composition is. As @SYMBOLIC DEATH points out, Masterworks stuff is often made to order. On my end, there's too much glare on the badges for further identification.

Masterworks customization will cost you bigtime. I've never been tempted to drop ten grand on a set of drums. Pearl's standard lines do the job for me just fine. My Music City Custom snare is about as extravagant as I'm willing to get in the shell department.

That is a beautiful looking drum kit are they hook lugs? What color is that,?.
That’s what I’d like to know. It reminds me of DW’s “Purple Heart” that they made for a while. I’m a sucker for purple and black and this black nickel (as Tama would say) just does it for me.

I’m with C.M. though…$10k on a kit is just not happening. Hell, I’m thrown off by the $5k cost of the 50th anniversary green Vistalite kit I’ve been after.

It’s nice to dream though…😉

There might be some info over at the Pearl forum. Haven't been there in ages, but back in the day people would post about their Masterworks order. When they got it they would post pics and all the specs. Pearl also makes promotional photos of almost all Masterworks kits and post those on their social media, but if you really want to know go there or just ask Pearl directly ;)

Really like the concept of Masterworks/SQ2 etc., but for the same price you can get maybe 2 used cars xD

Happy with my Masters kit and have been thinking about Reference Pure as an upgrade, but as an 'really good amateur drummer' i don't think i need such a kit. If something should happen to my kit (knock on wood, pun intended) i will most likely get a Session kit or a Stage Custom.

That’s what I’d like to know. It reminds me of DW’s “Purple Heart” that they made for a while. I’m a sucker for purple and black and this black nickel (as Tama would say) just does it for me.

I’m with C.M. though…$10k on a kit is just not happening. Hell, I’m thrown off by the $5k cost of the 50th anniversary green Vistalite kit I’ve been after.

It’s nice to dream though…😉
I’m thrown off by anything that costs over $500 :)

What do they call that dark hardware? Tama uses the term “black nickel”. That Pearl hardware has a warmer tint to it.
Pearl has a "Black Chrome," and a "Black Nickel." That pic above looks like Black Nickel, since their Black Chrome hardware looks darker and has a little less luster.

I can't believe they're still using those stupid tom arms.
For all Pearls good drum innovations, the doubling down on that tubular mount is one that could have been improved. That hot mess should have been transferred to something different years ago.
For Pearl to change it would mean losing face/pride/defeat in their heritage. Not a thing that the Japanese are happy to do.

Last edited:
For all Pearls good drum innovations, the doubling down on that tubular mount is one that could have been improved. That hot mess should have been transferred to something different years ago.
For Pearl to change it would mean losing face/pride/defeat in their heritage. Not a thing that the Japanese are happy to do.

I know a lot of people dislike the Pearl tom arms but in actual use they work just fine. I have never had any issues dialing in a tom angle quickly on a backline kit for instance. Maybe the hate comes from their egregious misuse by amateurs and beginners as seen in the tom angles thread. 🤷‍♂️

That is a stunning kit. :love:

I know a lot of people dislike the Pearl tom arms but in actual use they work just fine. I have never had any issues dialing in a tom angle quickly on a backline kit for instance. Maybe the hate comes from their egregious misuse by amateurs and beginners as seen in the tom angles thread. 🤷‍♂️

That is a stunning kit. :love:
Never understood it as well, especially with the lateral flexibility that they provide - Yamaha has the lateral moment about them as well.

Try that with an Omni, Gauger, DW or basically any L-rod set up…

Back