Guess what I didn't bring with me for the gig.

Actually, I brought the wrong one and I couldn't use it.
View attachment 107887

Also, There were donuts but by the time I finished packing the donuts were gone. :(

Oh man - new fear unlocked haha.

I think i have an extra one in my cymbal in this little "oh sh** kit" I made a few years ago that I'll literally go double check tonight haha.

Wrap one hair tie around the rod. Tape it in place. Place the cymbal on top of it. Wrap the second hair tie around the rod and put it on top of the cymbal. Tape it in place. You now have a makeshift clutch.
MacGyver couldn't have come up with a better fix. I doubt I'll ever need this but (if I do) I'm cool.

MacGyver couldn't have come up with a better fix. I doubt I'll ever need this but (if I do) I'm cool.
I should add that thin hair ties wont work. If you need to thicken the rod a bit, wrap it with the tape.

I carry a repair kit of everything I might break at a gig: pedal, clutch, heads, etc... And yes... Duct tape is a universal tool. If I had to, I could fashion a makeshift clutch out of duct tape!

I suggest using gaffer's tape instead of duct tape. I carry a roll of both in my gear bag, but anytime I need to ensure there isn't a residual tape mark, it's the gaffer's tape. I think I've used duct tape only 2 or 3 times at a show in the last 5 years.

Wrap one hair tie around the rod. Tape it in place. Place the cymbal on top of it. Wrap the second hair tie around the rod and put it on top of the cymbal. Tape it in place. You now have a makeshift clutch.
Wouldn't just a wad of duct tape do the same though? The hair tie just makes it easier?

the donuts were gone
This is the real crime here. The fact none of your band mates procured you a donut whilst you packed your kit is utterly appalling.

Wouldn't just a wad of duct tape do the same though? The hair tie just makes it easier?
Never had to do this, but wouldn’t rubber bands grip onto the rod better than hair ties? I guess with tape it wouldn’t matter that much unless you are stomping the hats.

I suppose you could. Hair ties just fill up space easy since they have a decent thickness.

Never had to do this, but wouldn’t rubber bands grip onto the rod better than hair ties? I guess with tape it wouldn’t matter that much unless you are stomping the hats.
I dunno. I always have hair ties handy. I imagine a rubber band would work just fine also.

I keep an extra clutch in every cymbal bag I own. At least you didn't do what I've done. One time I forgot my bass pedal. It was truly a 'kick' drum that night.

Last month, I went to a rehearsal with some shuffled around hardware as I was using a set I don't typically use. Forgot the hi hat entirely. Feels sooo weird to play without a hi hat. At least it was just a rehearsal with a group I play with all the time.

Reminds me of one evening in the 80s when I was getting ready to go to a concert by the Paul Motian Trio when I got a call from the promoter (who happened to know that I was playing drums): Paul hat forgotten to bring his hats (cymbals and stand!). and would I lend him mine?

Of course I would! I had a Sonor stand and Paiste 505 green label Sound Edge hats.
Got a free ride to the venue and a free ticket, humbly presented my offering to Mr. Motian and sat in the front row, awestruck that this legend would be using my gear tonight. Guess what? He didn´t touch the thing the whole evening. Not once. :LOL:
Oh well. The music was fantastic, of course...

I keep an extra clutch in every cymbal bag I own. At least you didn't do what I've done. One time I forgot my bass pedal. It was truly a 'kick' drum that night.

I didn't bring one either (but I knew there was a bass pedal at the location so I didn't feel like bringing a pedal when one was already there)!

Back