Gretsch USA customs, shell bank is realised

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Amazingly the exact sizes I was missing came up on eBay and with a local address, so took the plunge, now my Gretsch USA custom in blue sparkle shell bank is a reality. this photo is a combination of my 12 and 14 from my bop kit and 16 and 22 from new larger sizes. Whilst the wrap is identical it’s not a perfect match in that the the badges and floor tom brackets differ, but that’s it. new Gretsch USA were just too expensive for me and sonically everything sounds as it should, epic…...and my Agop 22 China seems right at home between the 14 and 16. Might be a bit much for a cafe gig though…..At present trying to decide whether to drill the kick for a tom mount. I like my toms mounted on the kick ! First time Ive had a 1 up two down configuration,….photo is a bit odd as it’s blue drums under blue lights.

DAC4F491-8917-48FC-9213-A66BE66670C3.jpegF4458761-7B64-44C5-8A35-061ED7ED12B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Sweet. Post more pics if you have (get) them.

I have 22, 10, 12, 16 Brooklyn kit. I have on order a matching 14 and 20.

My shell bank will be complete when they (if they ever) arrive. I’m at about the 6 month mark now.

I call it the Twang.

(it's like they at one time also made guitars or something ; )
You want a flat sine wave get Renowns.
You want an oscillating character sine line go mixed composition blend

Last edited:
they're alive
also reliably solid as a rock

Last edited:
I call it the Twang.

(it's like they at one time also made guitars or something ; )
You want a flat sine wave get Renowns.
You want an oscillating character sine line go mixed composition blend
Twang is the right word. They've got this slight twangy bite that is so satisfying

Over the decades I've heard a couple of Gretsch USA kits that have never left me. And these weren't heavily miked kits. There's something ABOUT those drums.
I had a 70's set that I got from Steve Maxwell's in NY and it was a mojo set for sure. The only reason I sold it was it was old and the hardware Gretsch used at the time wasn't great by any means. All of the lugs were attached using self tapping screws which were a pain in the rear...nothing fun about having screws pop out and rattling around inside the drums during gigs...lol. They sounded so good that a recording studio bought em from me.

This thread has got me thinking about seeking out another Gretsch set.

Great looking kit , it allows a lot of versatility and I would urge you to get the bass drum drilled for a tom mount bracket . I ordered mine with both a tom bracket and cymbal arm bracket on the bass drum.

I have been considering ordering a 22” bass drum and 16” floor tom to go with my 20/12/14 USA Custom kit .

Twang is the right word. They've got this slight twangy bite that is so satisfying
I think the Gretsch USA twang (bite) you mention is a real phenomenon and mostly in the balance of sound from die-cast rim as compared to mixed shell. Band mates all agree that the Gretsch USA just sit better with the other instruments (electric keyboards and bass), they bite and are then complex and mellow. They also seem to retain this character (mojo) even if the tuning intervals aren’t perfect. I am very happy with the kick drums it just sounds as it should (no augmentation required).

I don't know what it is for you but every time I hear the word Gretsch..since I was a kid.. Brown sugar intros in my mind. Always has always will.

Great looking kit , it allows a lot of versatility and I would urge you to get the bass drum drilled for a tom mount bracket . I ordered mine with both a tom bracket and cymbal arm bracket on the bass drum.

I have been considering ordering a 22” bass drum and 16” floor tom to go with my 20/12/14 USA Custom kit .
I finally drilled the bass drum, very happy with the result. 4F98DF1A-64BB-491C-8343-4C5E171B9922.jpeg

Very nice! I went one more step and had the bracket fitted onto the tom. I didn’t think the GTS was really in keeping with a Gretsch kit, it looks more elegant and clean.

Attachments

• EE987839-FE50-414A-A44A-1C08BFF47B9D.jpeg
    EE987839-FE50-414A-A44A-1C08BFF47B9D.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 11
Forgive me for being naïve, but what's a "shell bank"?

Beautiful kit hands down for sure! The lighting just makes it more so.

Forgive me for being naïve, but what's a "shell bank"?

Beautiful kit hands down for sure! The lighting just makes it more so.
Hi it’s my understanding a shell bank is just getting the same brand, model, finish drums in all or nearly all the sizes. This doesn’t mean you will actually use them all together at any one time. So in my case I’ve combined two Gretsch USA shell packs bought off Reverb and eBay to make a shell bank of 22, 18 kick 16, 14, FT, 13, 12 T to be used in any combination. At present using 22, 16, 14, 12 as shown in picture. Now I may buy a a third kick 20 or a 24 kick and a 10 tom so that I really do have all bases covered.

I have a similar know what I like and like what I know approach to snares, steel, bronze, aluminium titanium shell in 14 x 6 or 14 x 6.5 all in one brand (Dunnett), that I mix and match on a whim.

overall it’s an alternative strategy to having multiple kits of different brands, models, finish to cover varied musical situations. After years of playing nearly all the brands and sizes I realised that Gretsch USA worked for me in all situations so it was worth the plunge. The cost of new Gretsch USA (even wrap finish) was shocking so nearly new second hand was the way to realise the idea within my price limit. I still have both my kidneys.

Hope this makes sense.

Hi it’s my understanding a shell bank is just getting the same brand, model, finish drums in all or nearly all the sizes. This doesn’t mean you will actually use them all together at any one time. So in my case I’ve combined two Gretsch USA shell packs bought off Reverb and eBay to make a shell bank of 22, 18 kick 16, 14, FT, 13, 12 T to be used in any combination. At present using 22, 16, 14, 12 as shown in picture. Now I may buy a a third kick 20 or a 24 kick and a 10 tom so that I really do have all bases covered.

I have a similar know what I like and like what I know approach to snares, steel, bronze, aluminium titanium shell in 14 x 6 or 14 x 6.5 all in one brand (Dunnett), that I mix and match on a whim.

overall it’s an alternative strategy to having multiple kits of different brands, models, finish to cover varied musical situations. After years of playing nearly all the brands and sizes I realised that Gretsch USA worked for me in all situations so it was worth the plunge. The cost of new Gretsch USA (even wrap finish) was shocking so nearly new second hand was the way to realise the idea within my price limit. I still have both my kidneys.

Hope this makes sense.
You made a great choice! There are few kits that rival the USA Custom. Not having a 10" would bug me though, lol.

I made a shell bank of Gretsch Renown RN2 drums in Vintage Pearl. 10/12/14/16 toms with 18/20/22 kick drums. They sound very close to the USA Customs, but with a little more resonance due to the 302 hoops. They sound amazing.

I also bought a complete set of die-cast hoops to put on my Renowns, (which wasn't particularly cheap) so now they sound even closer to USA Customs with a more focused sound.

Hope this makes sense.
That’s a great plan!
I mix and match based on what gig I’m doing and your plan is perfect.

Back