Great drummers - quotes

On Deep Purples Who Do We Think We Are album the inside cover contains many quotes from each member. One of Ian Paices quotes was...if I see a drummer and he's better than me...i say..ill get you

Nice thread!

„Honestly, I think the more gear you have, the less creative you’ll be.“
Alex Van Halen, 2008

Hey Alex, my big drum hero, can't you say that earlier?
Now I have to think about my set up... :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 101002

The fire extinguisher is a nice touch! You have an eye for detail. I've always dug the fire extinguishers on Alex' kits.

How do you upgrade from that kit..its all downhill from here on. Makes it tough to go to my new renowns..damn it.
This Signature set is the result of 25 years of various setups. Starting 1994 as a 5 piece set up to a monster set with two bass drums, eight toms and two floortoms (2004).
The photo shows my current favorite setup.
The rare acrylic octobans, for example, I just bought this January.
I do not ask myself the question whether this setup makes sense. It should be fun!
I know, this set is over complete! Nobody needs so many drums ;)
There is nothing I am missing now.
Except 4 x Shure SM57 for the octobans.

Steve Vai Zappa Audition

Vai-I can't play that. (It was impossible)
Zappa-I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitarist.

Blitzkrieg!!
While we're (kind of) on the subject, I always thought Nick Menza said "F@#$ me, rotten" at the end of Paranoid but apparently it's "F@#$ me running" :unsure:
I forgot all about that. He thought the song was longer!

"...first of all you can't sound like Max Roach ... you can't sound like Buddy Rich or whoever it is that you are trying to emulate. You Can't do it . So it behooves you to check out what they're doing and try to execute some of the things you hear them doing that are part of the drumming tradition....and it's going to comeout sounding like you anyway.
So don't be afraid of influences ...it's a big big problem.
I've heard young musicians in schools and conservatories all around the world.
I ask them if they listen to Horace Silver or have they listened to Tommy Flanagan, or Hank Jones?....' no no' ... have you listened to Sonny Rollins?.... 'no no I don't wanna sound like anyone I don't wanna be....' ......I think it's a huge mistake ..... huge huge huge.
and if you were writing poetry you would study great poets, if you were a painter you would study great painters ...it doesn't mean you are going to paint like them ..but you have to understand conceptually what goes into creating something of a certain level and a certain feeling.... and so.... don't be afraid of influences "

- Lewis Nash

"I believe that playing like someone is a great help. I believe it gives someone a vocabulary. It gives you things that you don't have. and playing like people that have come before is the basis so that you can decide for yourself what you want to play and what you don't want to play. If you don't do these things then you never know ... you're just floundering around and being insecure and for lack of better reasons everyone walks around saying... well I've got my own style .... but I did I practiced everything they did so that I could decide what is was I didn't want ."

_ Tony Williams

" I'm the best....Keith Moon type....drummer in the world."

- Keith Moon

Listening to musicians who are different than you will help you understand yourself better. It's like when you travel to a different country, the ways it is different from your own makes you aware of things in your own country that up to that point were unconscious and taken for granted, or ditto reading an anthropology book.

Back