Great drummers - quotes

"I would much rather have the ears and the ability to hear and vocalize then the ability to talk and theorize about music"

- Marko Djordjevic

I think I got a real answer to this never pet a burning dog thing. This makes the most sense out of anything I've seen so far. From Yahoo answers:

It means not to jump into a situation blindly, without assessing it thoroughly - otherwise you could get hurt or cause more damage.

I'd go with the Yahoo definition too. It makes sense ... oh, poor burning doggie ... pat pat ouch. Like many things it's obvious in hindsight.

I go with Monica's debrief answer and down-to-earth example.

The phrase probably predates Gadd. I believe it is military in it's origin. It means to not try to help something when it is already too late. Or to not ignore present danger and dive right into something.

It's sound advice like don't fry bacon naked.

My bacon is always naked when I fry it.

Oh....nevermind.

Okay, we have a handle on what the saying is and it seems we know why Larry has red spots on his groin ... but how about Steve G's advice in context of his playing?

It seems to me that he didn't feel that giving one overarching piece of drumming advice would be very helpful so he opted for a bit of life advice and probably quietly taking the mickey out of his status of drum guru.

... but how about Steve G's advice in context of his playing?

It seems to me that he didn't feel that giving one overarching piece of drumming advice would be very helpful so he opted for a bit of life advice and probably quietly taking the mickey out of his status of drum guru.

As I understand it, he was asked for advice for people trying to get into the business. In that case, his advice makes more sense than in a playing context.

Did Ian ever have that pint w/ him?

When asked about doing drum clinics Tommy Aldridge said "It beats a jab in the ass with a frozen carrot!"

Funny stuff!

"I love being a drummer. Everyone thinks you're dumb. What they don't realize is that if it weren't for you, their band would suck." - Dave Grohl

A bunch of lines from this Buddy Rich exclusive... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ssZeOZkWU

The Buddy recordings might already be old hat around here I don't know since I've only been a member here for about a year. I got these when they first came out back in the late 80's and they made for great table talk with other drummer friends.

About Steve Gadd... I live where he was born and lived until the military and then returned back from NYC for drug rehab. He lived here for many years before leaving again about 3 years ago to Arizona.

You'd run into him all over the place and he is the most gentle, down to earth and humble people you'd ever dare meet.

Some of his peers who came up with him as a player still remain here and I had the privilege to study with two of them privately for many years. I could write a book of quotes from them about drums, drumming and music.

"You need to take risks, you never know if the end results will be beautiful or strange, you need to be instantaneous, listening to every moments, without missing a scrap of the music, even if you play a rest!" - Brian Blade

I love Boomka's quote of Vinnie:

"Anytime you strike the drums, you have to be aware that you're creating a musical event"

To me, it's a statement that reminds you of what it's all about and puts you in the right frame of mind for playing music.

Here's a Ringo quote:

"I've never been able to sit round on my own and play drums, practice in the back room, never been able to. I've always played with other musicians. It`s how I play, there`s no joy for me in playing on my own, bashing away. I need a bass, a piano, guitar, whatever, and then I can play".

These are all great quotes to read and are good reminders, this one reminds me that I feel pretty much the same way. I hit the pad a wee bit to keep loose but it is when I am actually in the thick of it that I really enjoy muself and sometimes surprise myself. Thanks for this.

Fresh and not complex: It was all spontaneous - no plans!!! Simon Phillips

Back