Grade this set list the guitarist recommended

Not just books, we have a working booth too:
View attachment 108331
I find it funny that the historical phone booth sits right across the street from a Civil War battlefield park. It's there for Bill and Ted I guess.
No booths here but I did see a payphone at the Kroger the other day, it takes your debit card now.

I was going to comment immediately after you posted but didn't because as a drummer in England I thought the reason I didn't know any of the songs was down to location. Now that so many United States based drummer's have had their much more informed say it seems likely that this isn't a good setlist.
I could be reading it wrong but it strikes me that your guitarist is looking to play for his own enjoyment rather than trying to entertain the audience. That's fine as it doesn't sound like this part of the gig is paid but speaking personally I'd rather play songs that I like and the audience will like too, seeing people drift off or conduct conversations instead of dancing and enjoying themselves can be very demoralising.

I've played plenty of gigs that would have many songs similar to that first list, but even then you need some variation to make them effective.

I've also played in some bands that played covers and seemed to, much to my own dismay, not think much about what would work for each audience and get called back.

If one plays in a lot a different types of places I think the trick is to have a really big list, be willing to learn and adjust based on response, but there's no reason to start out stupid.

I know only three of those songs, and I listened to a LOT of radio in the '70s.

Grade: C-

Don't forget to bring your cajon and an egg shaker. 😮
I only know Sweet Caroline!!! Maybe in listening to them I could recognize some?

I think I'm allergic to that stuff. Except Sweet Caroline. Because one of our fans is named Caroline and we do the song especially for her.

I've played plenty of gigs that would have many songs similar to that first list, but even then you need some variation to make them effective.

I've also played in some bands that played covers and seemed to, much to my own dismay, not think much about what would work for each audience and get called back.

If one plays in a lot a different types of places I think the trick is to have a really big list, be willing to learn and adjust based on response, but there's no reason to start out stupid.

This is a church picnic so in theory it's more like the audience has forced listening and they can't escape.

Back