Gigging with EKits

It’s a trade-off. I do carry my own PA because you have to. The sound needs to originate where I am (for me). Unless I’m told the venue has everything including a sound guy, I carry 15” mains and an 18” sub, and I’m pushing at least 1000 watts (I have a few power amps to choose from).
That's a step I never took and probably should have. I had illusions of "just" plugging into the house system from my own little mixer. It didn't work out well for a ton of reasons and I was already salty because it was other members of that band who were pushing for the digitalness.

That's a step I never took and probably should have. I had illusions of "just" plugging into the house system from my own little mixer. It didn't work out well for a ton of reasons and I was already salty because it was other members of that band who were pushing for the digitalness.
I get that. When others want something without having thought it all the way through, it’s hard. I talked to a lot of guys doing the eKit thing and figured what I needed to do it right. Then I replaced the whole drum idea with the Zendrum since “if it’s not real, it might as well be unreal”.

Those Zendrums look cool. Just checked the site......about 2K.......I want one.
Ahhh....I just remembered Future Man with Bela Fleck.
He used a similar set-up.
He had a modified synthaxe...I believe.

I giged with an ekit one time. I will never do it again unless there is a sound technician out front, who I trust, who can control the sound levels of the drums and the whole band. With the edrums on an amplyfier, it's like being another guitar player fighting for sonic space. It's really hard to get a good mix. And I had very little contol of my volume even when I controlled how hard or soft I played. I could only adjust the volume when I stopped playing. (And the sound of the cymbals sucked) I'm sure there are some solutions to some of these problems with expensive kits.

(And the sound of the cymbals sucked)
Did it sound good at home and not so much at the gig, or, did the module just not have good sounds?

I barfed at electronic cymbal sounds for a long time. I never expected to fall down this rabbit hole.
But a few months ago, when I took another tour of the lower end kits, some of the sounds were a step up, totally usable for me.

Those Zendrums look cool. Just checked the site......about 2K.......I want one.
Ahhh....I just remembered Future Man with Bela Fleck.
He used a similar set-up.
He had a modified synthaxe...I believe.
Speaking of, Live at the Quick is great. Jazz riffen' bassonist, Mongolian throat singers, north Indian tabla, steel drums, electric banjo, bass legend and then you have Roy 'Futureman' Wooten just killin' it on the synthaxe. I had the DVD but I don't see it on YT. Bela would say Roy would have his synthaxe in pieces right before showtime often, sort of stressin' him out whether he would put it together in time (and always did :))

I was doing hybrid kits with MalletKat and Korg wavedrum for a bit and then filling in the rest with real drums. It was a pain to take out honestly with amps/cables/pedal boards and whatnot on top of the drum stuff. When you have music revolving around the gear, you now have a commitment. Started to have a bit more sympathy for Bill's cover photo on what that meant.

Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 11.25.38 AM.jpeg

Did it sound good at home and not so much at the gig, or, did the module just not have good sounds?

I barfed at electronic cymbal sounds for a long time. I never expected to fall down this rabbit hole.
But a few months ago, when I took another tour of the lower end kits, some of the sounds were a step up, totally usable for me.
I guess it was more of a volume issue. You know how real cymbals can cut through the mix. The ekit cymbals were not loud enough unless the whole kit volume was turned way up. Probably just a volume balance issue. In order for the cymbals to sound like real cymbals, the cymbals needed to be three or four times louder than the rest of the kit. And it could have been how the amp amplifies the cymbal sound. Bass drum had big boom, cymbals had not enough highs.

Interesting. I just finished a short practice on the kit. Every time I play I tweak things a bit more. My crashes were cutting fine - I actually don't like a loud crash - and neither do lots of venues in my area these days. :) But my ride was cutting through enough, and I turned it up significantly at the module.

I was doing hybrid kits with MalletKat and Korg wavedrum for a bit and then filling in the rest with real drums. It was a pain to take out honestly with amps/cables/pedal boards and whatnot on top of the drum stuff. When you have music revolving around the gear, you now have a commitment. Started to have a bit more sympathy for Bill's cover photo on what that meant.

View attachment 131821
Big Bill on the front cover of Office Printer Monthly there.

I giged with an ekit one time. I will never do it again unless there is a sound technician out front, who I trust, who can control the sound levels of the drums and the whole band. With the edrums on an amplyfier, it's like being another guitar player fighting for sonic space. It's really hard to get a good mix. And I had very little contol of my volume even when I controlled how hard or soft I played. I could only adjust the volume when I stopped playing. (And the sound of the cymbals sucked) I'm sure there are some solutions to some of these problems with expensive kits.

I've been playing an Ekit exclusively for about 8 months now, and I reckon I've just about got it sussed. The trick is, 1. an expensive kit, 2. extensive editing of of the sounds. Sample layering is a great trick (for instance my kick is a mix of an 18 & 22), indepth editing of the sample parameters, plus eq'ing the kit overall for different scenarios... decent pa, not decent pa, own pa etc. In other words lots of presets. 3. If you're using your own speaker, you need something that suits an Ekit, not all pa speakers cope with it well.

Putting aside the PA/amp issue, I think the most important part of gigging an ekit is the ability to send individual signals for each "piece" just as you would a mic'ed acoustic kit. I have an alesis crimson 2 SE, it's not a super high end pro level ekit but it's a far step above most basic entry level kits, I consider it a higher intermediate level kit. It plays very nice and it sounds great through headphones however I've noticed that different amps/pa's make it sound totally different and it only has a basic L mono or L/R stereo 1/4" outputs so any tweaking has to happen on my end in the module which would be a nightmare in a larger venue setting. One PA make boost the bass drum and lose the toms, another PA may boost the cymbals and lose the snare... It's super random. Without individual designated outputs I would never want to take this kit live. For example: if the bass drum is way too loud, I want the sound guy to do his job and tweak it... Not have to run up in between songs and shout "hey, dude, you gotta turn your bass drum down!"

The only way I would gig an ekit that doesn't have designated outputs is if it had simple analog eq sliders for each piece, like the newer Yamaha ekits.

Putting aside the PA/amp issue, I think the most important part of gigging an ekit is the ability to send individual signals for each "piece" just as you would a mic'ed acoustic kit.

[an old edrummer opines....]
Nearly 40 years of giging ekits in mono. Small to the largest club on the planet. Different music genres (rock, pop, electro), etc. Zero problems. Zero complaints. An ekit is more like a keyboard/synth - just with pads rather than keys - and it's a totally different intrument to an acoustic drum kit. Keyboards don't have 8 outs to cover each octave....
Indeed, DJs in mega clubs don't demand all the stems and remix on the fly.... and go out in mono in many cases.

[an old edrummer opines....]
Nearly 40 years of giging ekits in mono. Small to the largest club on the planet. Different music genres (rock, pop, electro), etc. Zero problems. Zero complaints. An ekit is more like a keyboard/synth - just with pads rather than keys - and it's a totally different intrument to an acoustic drum kit. Keyboards don't have 8 outs to cover each octave....
Indeed, DJs in mega clubs don't demand all the stems and remix on the fly.... and go out in mono in many cases.
I love the idea of it, I also appreciate your input and experience, but it scares the crap out of me haha. How do you handle this situation? Is this coming back to having your own sound system so it's always consistent or do you run through house and tweak as needed?

I love the idea of it, I also appreciate your input and experience, but it scares the crap out of me haha. How do you handle this situation? Is this coming back to having your own sound system so it's always consistent or do you run through house and tweak as needed?
*Always* the house system. Never used own system. Still never had a problem. As I said - it's a keyboard - not an acoustic drum kit. (Indeed, if I'm doing a venue I've never done before, I'll simply tell the soundperson - "it's a keyboard" whilst presenting them with a single jack lead to plug into their provded DI )
Not only that - I'm often driving a MIDI-sequenced keyboard backing (tone module/s) and sampler/s down the same mono cable....

For sound-checks I fire off a pattern on the module and join the soundperson at the desk/in the auditorium to get an EQ we like to suit (try doing that with an acoustic!). I'll stay there whilst the whole band plays as well to get a basic mix to suit.

#EasyLife

As I said - it's NOT an acoustic kit and doens't need to be treated like it is :)

*Always* the house system. Never used own system. Still never had a problem. As I said - it's a keyboard - not an acoustic drum kit. (Indeed, if I'm doing a venue I've never done before, I'll simply tell the soundperson - "it's a keyboard" whilst presenting them with a single jack lead to plug into their provded DI )
Not only that - I'm often driving a MIDI-sequenced keyboard backing (tone module/s) and sampler/s down the same mono cable....

For sound-checks I fire off a pattern on the module and join the soundperson at the desk/in the auditorium to get an EQ we like to suit (try doing that with an acoustic!). I'll stay there whilst the whole band plays as well to get a basic mix to suit.

#EasyLife

As I said - it's NOT an acoustic kit and doens't need to be treated like it is :)
Well, if there is anyone on this entire forum I trust about ekit gigging info it's certainly you so I appreciate your honest response. Your thoughts definitely are valid and the key oard analogy is apt. Maybe I'll give it a try, if I can only get my snare to stop double triggering lol. I recently took the time to change the set up of my ekit to match how I set up acoustic drums and I started "building" my own kit instead of relying on factory presets. The last thing I want to do is get some cymbal stands so I can stop using the stupid rack, if I can get the whole kit set up on a few cymbal stands I'm ready to go.

Well, if there is anyone on this entire forum I trust about ekit gigging info it's certainly you so I appreciate your honest response. Your thoughts definitely are valid and the key oard analogy is apt. Maybe I'll give it a try, if I can only get my snare to stop double triggering lol. I recently took the time to change the set up of my ekit to match how I set up acoustic drums and I started "building" my own kit instead of relying on factory presets. The last thing I want to do is get some cymbal stands so I can stop using the stupid rack, if I can get the whole kit set up on a few cymbal stands I'm ready to go.

What's your snare? (soz about your trigger pains!)

I like racks, TBH, especially if limited stage space and you need to move stuff on and off stage. And it's also great for fast setup - I can go from cases to soundchecked in 10 mins - all the pads where I want them everytime, and the wires nylon-tied to the rack as well. But - yes, I've certanly had kits setup on stands (even one where *everythng* was on a single Premier tom stand - but that's another story!. Yamaha, for example, even offered off-the-shelf versions kits on stands...
1679499496015.png

Last edited:
What's your snare? (soz about your trigger pains!)

I like racks, TBH, especially if limited stage space and you need to move stuff on and off stage. And it's also great for fast setup - I can go from cases to soundchecked in 10 mins - all the wires nylon-tied to the rack as well. But - yes, I've certanly had kits setup on stands (even one where *everythng* was on a single Premier tom stand - but that's another story!. Yamaha, for example, even offered off-the-shelf versions kits on stands...
View attachment 131958
I'm typically only using my ekit in a four piece set up along with hi hats, crash, and ride so I could put the crash and smaller tom on one stand with the hi hats on a boom arm with clamp (my hi hats have a single pad with floor pedal), the snare on a snare stand, and the ride and lower tom on one stand. So really I would have two cymbal stands, one with an extra boom arm, then a snare stand and small bass drum pad, and nothing else.

The snare is a 12" dual zone with mesh head from the alesis crimson 2 SE. It has the white mesh heads from their fancier strike line. I have played with the mesh head tension and the settings in the module, it's much much better then it used to be but it still happens a frustrating amount (usually when I'm trying to record something, of course!). I have the rim trigger set to a cross stick click instead of a rim shot sound and I have the main head trigger set to a standard snare sound. The rim never double triggers, it's always the main head trigger. It always happens in one specific area: the alesis crimson uses four foam pad things pressing against the head as the trigger, it's when I hit near the bottom left one. I have a picture attached with a flashlight to show the triggers under the head. There is no visible damage under the head, I honestly thing it's just a cheap trigger and/or design flaw and/or hotspot issue. Just because it's a higher end offering from alesis... It's still a $1k ekit which I can only expect to much. The weird part is, I never had this issue on the smare pad of my old low end alesis nitro mesh.

IMG_20230322_115030802.jpg

Back