Gigging with EKits

Frank

Gold Member
I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to gigging. Could be interesting to compare notes.

Do you gig with an ekit?
If so, how large a kit?
What do you bring for spares?
Are you able to shove entire folded rack and pads into a single large bag?

I thought it was going to be easier but it was a lot harder for me, sound guys and sound systems vary so much, I was constantly lost in the mix in lots of rooms and there was a sort of energy lost. Inspired by a live band I saw for a minute I tried live cymbals with e-drums and that was a little easier to do but still lacked something.

It's not impossible but don't expect smooth sailing. Even power was sometimes an issue and I recommend bringing your own extensions, and strips.

Waiting for @Bo Eder to show up with his Zendrum. ⚡🥁

Do you gig with an ekit? Used to
If so, how large a kit? Roland TD-6 (small)
What do you bring for spares? Honestly not much, it was a good little workhorse (maybe some spare cables)?
Are you able to shove entire folded rack and pads into a single large bag? Definitely not but the rack/ pads/ cymbals everything would all fold into one piece leaving only the bass drum pads/ pedal to pack away (this was offset by having to lug amps/ subwoofers around though).

1. Do you gig with an ekit?
    Yes - have done since 1986 ("hybrid" before that)
  2. If so, how large a kit?
    Depends - I have many setups - depends on the band/music
  3. What do you bring for spares?
    Couple of jack-to-jack cables. Power supply. Module if abroad / tour.
  4. Are you able to shove entire folded rack and pads into a single large bag?
    Depends on the kit I'm using. Generally don't as can get heavy/awkward. Easier in separate. But multipad (I have many) and a couple pedals can be done.

Do you gig with an ekit? ; Yamaha DTX6K3-X
If so, how large a kit?; 4 toms, 5 cymbals (not including HH)
What do you bring for spares?; See below
Are you able to shove entire folded rack and pads into a single large bag?; Pads and cymbals fit in two standard tom cases. Folded rack I just bung in the back of the car. Kick pad gets it's own case as does the brain.

Spares; I ran out of inputs for extra cymbals, so bought a second brain to cope with the excess. Consequently have a spare brain (kit not me!). Spare kick pad because the DW5000 standard beater put a deep indent in the rubber surface which made me nervous of a split (have since replaced the beater for something less aggressive). Currently run 2 brains and a microphone for the real HHs into a small mixer.

As far as sound balance goes, I've done extensive editing to get the sound balance for different environments., Consequently I have different presents for live, studio and rehearsals (not just one preset for each but many so I'll generally have something to match the speakers I'm going through). The editing includes different samples as some are clearer through different PA's, eq, mix levels and layering. This gives me extensive choice when going to FoH to present something that's going to work without having to do time consuming editing on the spot. It's taken me about 6 months to get to a position where I'm fairly confident of a good balanced sound.

Last edited:
When it comes to gigging, I try to steer clear of anything that would make my life easier or more convenient, so I just gig with acoustic drums.
Back when he endorsed Mapex, Terry Bozzio held a clinic in our town. When I saw the size of the kit, I asked the drum shop owner how long it took to assemble the kit. “All day” he said.

During the clinic’s Q&A session (after our minds were blown), I asked him if this was his usual setup or if it was only for certain recordings, artists and shows. He responded, “This is what I bring to every gig, whether it’s a show, a wedding or bar mitzvah.”

And it’s only gotten bigger since he signed up with DW.

Back when he endorsed Mapex, Terry Bozzio held a clinic in our town. When I saw the size of the kit, I asked the drum shop owner how long it took to assemble the kit. “All day” he said.

During the clinic’s Q&A session (after our minds were blown), I asked him if this was his usual setup or if it was only for certain recordings, artists and shows. He responded, “This is what I bring to every gig, whether it’s a show, a wedding or bar mitzvah.”

And it’s only gotten bigger since he signed up with DW.

When I was younger, I used to be amazed and wonder how much his kit costs.

As I've gotten older, I've wondered about how much time it takes to set all of that up, what kind of cases does he use, does he always have people there to help/does he ever have to do it by himself, what kind of vehicle transports everything, etc.

Hi Bo
Do you gig with an ekit? ; Zendrum,Stompblock module, Roland KC500 or HK PA
If so, how large a kit?; 30 pads and can add 2 foot triggers if necessary
What do you bring for spares?; Alesis D4 Module, spare power supplies
Are you able to shove entire folded rack and pads into a single large bag?; Zendrum gig bag, briefcase and amp. First guy out the door.
Mick

Attachments

• Zendrum HQ.jpg
    Zendrum HQ.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I wish those zendrums still existed.
Many years ago, I got deep down the rabbit hole with playing with my fingers. I used a keyboard at the time.
It actually sounded great, and if I do say so myself, I was very good at it. ;)
Never bought one when they were available, and if I remember, they were pretty costly when available.
One would think there could be a similar product these days that was fairly inexpensive.

So, for those who do this and have to bring amps:
No in ear monitors? Wouldn't that work for you?

If I ever took the plunge and started gigging with an ekit, I'd want to do it with IEMs, not my own amps.

Cool. I didn't think they were sold anymore.

Out of my budget, unfortunately - by a whole factor of 10. :)

I thought it was going to be easier but it was a lot harder for me, sound guys and sound systems vary so much, I was constantly lost in the mix in lots of rooms and there was a sort of energy lost. Inspired by a live band I saw for a minute I tried live cymbals with e-drums and that was a little easier to do but still lacked something.

It's not impossible but don't expect smooth sailing. Even power was sometimes an issue and I recommend bringing your own extensions, and strips.
It’s a trade-off. I do carry my own PA because you have to. The sound needs to originate where I am (for me). Unless I’m told the venue has everything including a sound guy, I carry 15” mains and an 18” sub, and I’m pushing at least 1000 watts (I have a few power amps to choose from).

Do you gig with an ekit? ; Yamaha DTX6K3-X
If so, how large a kit?; 4 toms, 5 cymbals (not including HH)
I ran out of inputs for extra cymbals....

You can plug 14 pads into that module, so by my maths you're using snare + kick + 4 toms + hat + 5 cymbals = 12. Still got 2 left? ;)

So, for those who do this and have to bring amps:
No in ear monitors? Wouldn't that work for you?

If I ever took the plunge and started gigging with an ekit, I'd want to do it with IEMs, not my own amps.

Never taken my own amp(s) to any gig ever - any venue small to hanger-sized. For nearly 40 years and counting... :) #easylife

Last edited:
Back