GEWA acquires Gretsch from DW

Interesting.

I wonder who will supply the shells? My understanding was DW was supplying the Gretsch factory with shells.

But in a way it makes sense. Every Gretsch set made was competing directly with a DW or PDP kit for a sale.

My understanding was DW was supplying the Gretsch factory with shells.
this watch to 6:30 mark at least

Keller makes (Gretsch propietory spec) Gretsch US (Brookl, Broadk and Usac) shells

sidenote: note Jasper (and then Keller) 6 Ply uses Grain orientation (for balance of strength)
h/v/h/v/v/h
but also has to add a tone dimension;
as far back as the mid 50s before Johnny b Good was a twinkle in his dads eye : ) and still continued at Keller usac shell today
m/g/g/g/g/m

Last edited:
DW acquired distribution rights when Kaman went under, which is what GEWA have just acquired. This does not mean they own the company. Fred Gretsch still owns Gretsch as he has since he bought back the name in 1985. Keller will still supply the shells, and Gretsch will still be making drums in Ridgeland. That is Gretsch USA, not the distributor.

It's just a distributorship. I highly doubt that means much of anything for the American made lines. As for the Chinese lines such as Catalina, the overseas drums were being distributed by Hal Leonard, and to my knowledge still are.

Fun fact: even though Gretsch guitars are made by Fender in Japan, Fred Gretsch also owns that name, and licenses it (and the patterns) solely to Fender.

Last edited:
this watch to 6:30 mark at least

Keller makes and provides Gretsch US (Brookl, Broadk and Usac) shells
I think DW has enough work to do
I knew they switched to Keller when Jasper went out of business.

I was under the impression they used Keller up to the DW purchase. Or maybe DW intended to make the shells, but it never happened.

Reactions: jda
Who is GEWA? Their website only shows that they have a line of Chinese imports and now Gretsch.
They do have Ovation Guitars, whom I believe was also something DW got in the KMC music acquisition a few years back.
I beleive they are like the UK Sweetwater. *** Sorry it is Gear4Music is like SW ***

Last edited:
They’ve long had an association with Gretsch in Europe, so I’ve tried to find the news encouraging.

Every Gretsch unboxing video out of Europe in the past several years has always fallen under the auspices of GEWA, so I see a relationship where there’s already history and much mutual respect.

This is a quote from the musicradar article that I posted today:
"The Gretsch Drums factory in Ridgeland (SC), previously managed by DW, will be taken over by GEWA music USA."

What does "managing the Ridgeland factory" mean? What do they do and what decisions can they make about Gretsch drums produced there?

Last edited:
This is a quote from the musicradar article that I posted today:
"The Gretsch Drums factory in Ridgeland (SC), previously managed by DW, will be taken over by GEWA music USA."

What does "managing the Ridgeland factory" mean? What do they do and what decisions can they make about Gretsch drums produced there?
Ok maybe looking at the balance sheets and pushing out what is selling better or more and adjusting production;

or suggesting more Anniversary Models!
Just balancing production.

Somebody's gotta do it. Fred Just Plays Banjo in his Office all day long!"
(kidding on that last one :)

Back